Eating 5-6 times a day? Metabolism Boost or not..

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It won't effect your metabolism in any meaningful way. The 6 small meals are usually recommended because it leaves you feeling satisfied. Personally, I prefer to have 2 awesome meals then a bunch of snack that leave me wanting more.

It's all about finding eating habits that work for you.

And the bold is more personal preference. I do much better and feel more satiated with 3 large meals. 6 meals makes me more hungry.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'll to the chorus of "Nope, sorry."
    joinn68 wrote: »
    If you are actually preparing 5-6 meals daily and cleaning dishes for all those as opposed to just one meal, if nothing elese, you'll get a boost from the cooking and cleaning activities.

You can try for yourself one month eating 5-6 meals daily and one month eating just one meal a day, keeping everything constant in both cases (calories in/calories out) and figure out if one way of doing things works better for you

But this is the best "pro" reason I've ever seen. Well played, Madam.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It makes no difference to metabolism of fat loss when calories are kept the same. The only thing it may do is help some people, not all people, comply to their calorie goals. In other words, so people do better eating few bigger meals, and others many smaller meals. That is completely up to personal preference.

Exactly. Some people find that grazing on small meals all day long is better for their satiety. That doesn't work at all for me, I constantly feel hungry and deprived because every tiny meal is just like a tease. I'd rather eat 2-3 larger meals a day and feel full.

I'm with you there . . . fewer bigger meals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    The only reason to eat smaller meals is because it doesn't expand your stomach as much as one large meal. An expanded stomach messes with your hungry/full signals and tends to cause overeating/binging. A smaller stomach helps to sustain a feeling of satiation.
    Uh no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The only reason to eat smaller meals is because it doesn't expand your stomach as much as one large meal. An expanded stomach messes with your hungry/full signals and tends to cause overeating/binging. A smaller stomach helps to sustain a feeling of satiation.

Google 'ghrelin' and 'leptin'.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Your stomach permanently stretching/expanding is also a myth.

Permanently, sure. But is it a myth that it can and will stretch if routinely pushed top it's limits?

Based on the reading I've done, it has some "give" to it, in that it will temporarily stretch out to accomodate excess food intake if necessary. But it promptly retracts to its normal size as the food is digested.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Your stomach permanently stretching/expanding is also a myth.

Permanently, sure. But is it a myth that it can and will stretch if routinely pushed top it's limits?

Based on the reading I've done, it has some "give" to it, in that it will temporarily stretch out to accomodate excess food intake if necessary. But it promptly retracts to its normal size as the food is digested.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know, but how is it then that gastric surgery patients can eventually eat more than the few nibbles they can just after surgery?