What vitamins should a woman be taking?

Options
124»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I take a women's multivitamin and a Vitamin D (prescribed by doctor).

Women of childbearing age need to be VERY careful about their folic acid intake (you need enough!). Neural tube defects are set up by Folic Acid deficiencies in the first 10 days of pregnancy; before you have even missed a period. If you aren't drinking orange juice/eating oranges EVERY day a women's (yes, WOMEN'S) multivitamin provides crucial protection.

A generic one-daily women's vitamin is not expensive.

March of Dimes: Take Folic Acid Before Pregnancy

CDC - Folic Acid factsheet

Folic Acid Fact Sheet - Women's Health

Great info, thanks for sharing this. Also it is worth it for a woman to regularly check her iron levels.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way my medical condition requires me to be on a multivitamin, extra iron, calcium, vitamin D, and folic acid. Medically supervised and my levels are checked annually.

Alberta's insurance provider no longer pays for vitamin D testing as they found that EVERYONE in this northern province is deficient.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    By the way my medical condition requires me to be on a multivitamin, extra iron, calcium, vitamin D, and folic acid. Medically supervised and my levels are checked annually.

Alberta's insurance provider no longer pays for vitamin D testing as they found that EVERYONE in this northern province is deficient.

I've never been tested for deficiencies. Having no insurnace kinda keeps one from visiting doctors for anything that doesn't feel like death.
  • LexiLuLexi
    LexiLuLexi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take D3 in winter (because I'm solar powered) and that's it. I used to spend a load of money on multivitamins and gained nothing!