Orangetheory

Options

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    honestly use a food scale.. you're fighting everyone here who is trying to help you claiming you know portion control. clearly you don't know it as well as you think you do since you believe that 1/2 cup measuring cup filled will always weight the same in grams.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    honestly use a food scale.. you're fighting everyone here who is trying to help you claiming you know portion control. clearly you don't know it as well as you think you do since you believe that 1/2 cup measuring cup filled will always weight the same in grams.

So what? None of it is 100% accurate. Not everyone finds using a food scale to be convenient or something sustainable for them. When keep pushing it on someone that doesn't want it as if it is the one and only way to lose weight?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So what? None of it is 100% accurate. Not everyone finds using a food scale to be convenient or something sustainable for them. When keep pushing it on someone that doesn't want it as if it is the one and only way to lose weight?

Well, OP did say she's try it.

OP, people will keep advising you to use one because they won't read through the entire thread and see that you said you'd give it a try. Don't get frustrated when you see this.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Weighing food takes a lot less time than you think. I thought it was going to take a long time, too, but it doesn't. We're talking a matter of seconds, definitely less than one minute per meal.

Yup. I weigh nearly everything for every meal and have for almost a year. I have 2 little kids and a full-time job. If it were time consuming, I would NOT do it. :D
  • bellaa_x0
    Options

well if she wants to figure out why she gained weight rather than losing weight, its a viable solution - whether she finds it convenient or sustainable in the long run.. never said she had to do it for life. a food scale is a lot more accurate than using a measuring cup or "eyeballing" portions.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

OP, people will keep advising you to use one because they won't read through the entire thread and see that you said you'd give it a try. Don't get frustrated when you see this.

actually i read the whole thread before posting - thanks though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    Weighing food takes a lot less time than you think. I thought it was going to take a long time, too, but it doesn't. We're talking a matter of seconds, definitely less than one minute per meal.

Yup. I weigh nearly everything for every meal and have for almost a year. I have 2 little kids and a full-time job. If it were time consuming, I would NOT do it. :D

What and how you eat/cook makes a huge difference though. Whether you eat the same foods/meals frequently. Whether you cook from recipes. How much prepackaged food you use. Stuff like that.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    God. 1ml = 1 gram only if you are measuring water. Otherwise 1 ml is not 1 gram. Gram is unit of mass. Ml is unit of volume. You need to take density into account when converting.
    1 ml = 1 cubic cm

1ml of flour = 0.57 grams
    1ml of milk = 1.03 grams
    1ml of butter = 0.91 grams
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

well if she wants to figure out why she gained weight rather than losing weight, its a viable solution - whether she finds it convenient or sustainable in the long run.. never said she had to do it for life. a food scale is a lot more accurate than using a measuring cup or "eyeballing" portions.

It is a viable solution IF she gained fat. But it's not the only one.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options

aperz1 wrote: »
    In love with Orangetheory workouts, but really bummed with results. I've been going 3-4 times per week for over 4 months. Gained 4 lbs and 1% body fat. My diet is pretty clean and hasn't changed. So I'm burning more calories than prior to starting OTF. Is this my body adapting and it will change? Suggestions? Just makes no sense to gain weight and fat doing this workout.

she already said she has.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

actually i read the whole thread before posting - thanks though.

Not directed at any specific person. It's a general statement of fact that a lot of people don't read through a thread. I was just trying to alleviate the OP's frustration at being told the same thing over and over again after she'd already agreed to give it a try.

• acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    also this conversation happens time and time again on MFP

those that try the scale approach invariably come back and say they never realised how many calories they were actually eating

it's mind-blowing

you're not unusual .. you are like most people .. we all think we know better, personal proof is your only option

so much this. I stalled for a long time before I finally started weighing my food and started losing again.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

In love with Orangetheory workouts, but really bummed with results. I've been going 3-4 times per week for over 4 months. Gained 4 lbs and 1% body fat. My diet is pretty clean and hasn't changed. So I'm burning more calories than prior to starting OTF. Is this my body adapting and it will change? Suggestions? Just makes no sense to gain weight and fat doing this workout.

Weight gain is not always fat. And Bod Pod has more than a 1% margin of error, so maybe she did and maybe not.

It's quite possible that she's simply retaining water from a new workout and her BF% hasn't changed at all.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Weight gain is not always fat. And Bod Pod has more than a 1% margin of error, so maybe she did and maybe not.

It's quite possible that she's simply retaining water from a new workout and her BF% hasn't changed at all.

That's certainly possible, though after 4 months, I would tend to discount the "new workout" factor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That's certainly possible, though after 4 months, I would tend to discount the "new workout" factor.

Fair enough. Though there are certainly many other reasons to gain water weight. Especially for a woman.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ah, covered, never mind!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Fair enough. Though there are certainly many other reasons to gain water weight. Especially for a woman.

True enough.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The thing is the scale, calorie count still does not answer the question since my eating habits have not changed.

Let's assume all the pounds you gained were fat. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so that means you ate 14000 excess calories in the 4 month period. Divided by 120 days that's 120 extra calories day.

120 calories is a relatively small number. To put things in perspective, it's a little more than the number of calories in a single banana, and a little less than the number in two cups of skim milk. You can't realistically expect to notice a fluctuation of that size without taking precise measurements. It's even harder if the surplus was distributed unevenly, say during all your post-workout meals. When you're eating after a workout you intuitively feel that there's nothing wrong with having a little more than normal, but as you can see, it's quite easy to overshoot the mark.

wow I have never really thought about it this way, makes perfect sense...but it helps to see it broken down. I could have one extra slice of cheese everyday and boom 4 pounds! love the breakdown,thanks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Chiruadr wrote: »
    I have a good idea of portion control.

If I had a gram of muscle for every time I heard that I would be Ronnie Coleman

Indeed.

And if we accept everything else OP says as being accurate, we have a good idea of her portion control too: it's probably higher than she thinks. That's just how this process works.
  • aperz1
    aperz1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Chiruadr wrote: »
    I have a good idea of portion control.

If I had a gram of muscle for every time I heard that I would be Ronnie Coleman

Indeed.

And if we accept everything else OP says as being accurate, we have a good idea of her portion control too: it's probably higher than she thinks. That's just how this process works.