Cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Adding in a consistent weight lifting program is just as important as cardio. Focus on the quality of your cardio, as in the intensity. Make every minute count and add in high-intensity intervals. If you just "put in the time" on the clock without enough effort you'll just be spinning your wheels.

What kind of cardio do you like? What are you doing currently?

So right now, I am running/ or using the elliptical. I am using it 5 times a week, trying to burn 800 calories to 1200 calories which will take 60 min - 120 min

How are you calculating this calorie burn? From the numbers on the cardio machines or with a heart rate monitor? The machine numbers are generally inflated, FYI.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Adding in a consistent weight lifting program is just as important as cardio. Focus on the quality of your cardio, as in the intensity. Make every minute count and add in high-intensity intervals. If you just "put in the time" on the clock without enough effort you'll just be spinning your wheels.

So right now, I am running/ or using the elliptical. I am using it 5 times a week, trying to burn 800 calories to 1200 calories which will take 60 min - 120 min

How are you calculating this calorie burn? From the numbers on the cardio machines or with a heart rate monitor? The machine numbers are generally inflated, FYI.

I am using a Polar T4 HRM,

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

I am using a Polar T4 HRM,

Okay, then you are probably accurate or close to it on your numbers.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Every day with my elliptical. At the beginning it was nearly every day for about 30 minutes. I slowly added more time to my workouts over the past year, as my fitness improved. Now I do ... ehm, about 2 hours.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    For those have lost 25 lbs more or less.
    How much cardio did you do?

Went 180-> 149. Averaged 17 hours a week over 2015, so roughly 2.5 hours a day.

wow. .2.5hrs a day? was it the same cardio?
    didn't you miss life out side the gym?
    weren't you afraid of over working your body?

2 hours a day, 17 hours/wk was my peak month.

Mostly the same cardio yea, about 85% cycling with a short running cycling thrown in from Sep-Nov.

Nah didn't miss life outside the gym because I was outside the whole time :smile: And it's only 2 hours out of 16 waking hours a day.

As for overworking my body, I wasn't afraid of that no. I've built up to that over a period of about 3 years. If I had just started out like that...different story. It's a decent amount of training, but the body is a pretty incredibly machine in that regard and the bike is low impact. The typical profession cyclist (i.e. Tour de France) will ride 25-30 hours a week, and their idea of a "day off" is riding around easy for 2-3 hours! Still got a ways to go to reach that kind of training volume! Not that I intend to...that's enough to really cut into daily life and really is only necessary because races are 1-3 weeks long, 5-6 hours hard every day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Love cardio and high immense burns, I do 2 to 3 hours a day 7 days a week!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Update: Well I wanted to thank all of you, who took a moment to respond to the post.
    You see this was the missing piece of the puzzle. With out this information, was not losing weight. I would gain
    2 lbs and lose 1 lbs .
    So I decided to take your advice and I would burn 500 calories on the elliptical, then 500 calories on the treadmill. I would do this until I was able to burn 1500 - 2000 calories.

I have lost 10 lbs.

thank you.