How do i not feel ashamed?

Options
Hi, I'm 19, I want to move more and for reasons I don't quite feel up to explaining, my parents and i feel I should exercise at home right now and I want to do it by walking. How do I not feel ashamed of walking around my yard or in a room? Or is this something I should feel ashamed by?
When I first started trying to get healthy, my sort of mentor friend had me walk around the house briskly for a certain number of minutes every day, which increased gradually. I got made fun of by a guy who came to our house to do something. So every time I did the exercise after that, I heard voices in my head making fun of me and it was kind of crippling. They wouldn't go away no matter how many times I kept pressing on with that exercise. Eventually the mentor and i fell out of contact due to busy schedules and I stopped those exercises.
I want to move a little more now, just a little, and I'm planning to do it in a few minutes. The only thing I'm worried about is the voices telling me I am stupid. The voice I'm afraid of is one with the face of an (imaginary) man I admire and look up to. I don't want that to cripple me again.
So should I feel ashamed? If so, I won't do it, but if not, how to ignore the voice or get rid of it?
Thanks. Sorry for the rambling.

Replies

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't feel ashamed.

That guy who made fun of you? He should feel ashamed. What an c o c k womble. I hate him on your behalf.

Rather than feeling ashamed, you should be feeling proud of yourself that you actually have the motivation to get up and move. You're doing better than a lot of people.

You're only 19...giving less of a toss about what other people think will come when you get older. And shut that imaginary voice up by DOING what it's telling you you can't. Flip it off and do what you need to do.

You can. You so can.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why should you feel ashamed that you want to better yourself? The guy who made fun of you should be ashamed for being a piece of garbage. There's nothing stupid about you or what you're trying to do. Download an audio book and ignore the voices. Or I'd suggest a workout video because when the trainer is telling you what to do and you're very focused, it's much harder to pay attention to the voices.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It may take some time, but work on being focused on you & what you need and tune out everyone else. Habits are hard to break, I know. But other people do not control your fate, that is up to you.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I won't tell you how you should feel, because you feel what you feel. All I can say is that I would be proud of you for getting up and doing something to change your stars.

You can make a difference in your life by making small changes... each one adds up. (think of how a snowflake is small, but a snowstorm can impact a community!)

As for the feelings... sometimes you need to choose to ignore them because your goal is more important than how you feel. The voices in our heads can be real demons, but we don't have to listen to them. Find some music you enjoy and have that pumping in your ears... you may not hear the voices so loudly then. <3
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    :) hugs hard thanks every1.
  • Blubberboss
    Blubberboss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed! Be proud that you are doing more for yourself than 100s of thousands of Americans!(or whatever country you're from)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I walk around my house for exercise frequently. In fact, just yesterday I did it for 30 min on my lunch hour because it was just too darn cold to go for a hike in the woods and I felt like I need a walk. I've done it all my life.

You aren't stupid for doing it. You are smart. Anyone that makes fun of someone else for moving more is stupid. And mean. And probably a little sad on the inside that they aren't doing it too.
  • zmauser
    zmauser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I was afraid to join a gym because I was to fat. I finally joined one with some friends and discovered people of all sizes were there and nobody said a word that a fat person was there. I'm not sure if you knew this guy sometimes family/friends can be meaner than strangers but if he was a stranger if he was stupid enough to say something about someone trying to exercise it just says something about his stupidity. Don't let one person stop you.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    ❤ every1.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea to put intrusive thoughts in to an imaginary box.

http://bethspatterson.com/using-mindfulness-meditation-to-tame-intrusive-thoughts/

You might spend a minute or two doing a little meditation like this before you exercise.

If it were me I might pretend I was cleaning up the house or dusting. Put headphones on and dance.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 19, I want to move more and for reasons I don't quite feel up to explaining, my parents and i feel I should exercise at home right now and I want to do it by walking. How do I not feel ashamed of walking around my yard or in a room? Or is this something I should feel ashamed by?
    When I first started trying to get healthy, my sort of mentor friend had me walk around the house briskly for a certain number of minutes every day, which increased gradually. I got made fun of by a guy who came to our house to do something. So every time I did the exercise after that, I heard voices in my head making fun of me and it was kind of crippling. They wouldn't go away no matter how many times I kept pressing on with that exercise. Eventually the mentor and i fell out of contact due to busy schedules and I stopped those exercises.
    I want to move a little more now, just a little, and I'm planning to do it in a few minutes. The only thing I'm worried about is the voices telling me I am stupid. The voice I'm afraid of is one with the face of an (imaginary) man I admire and look up to. I don't want that to cripple me again.
    So should I feel ashamed? If so, I won't do it, but if not, how to ignore the voice or get rid of it?
    Thanks. Sorry for the rambling.

Meh. I was stuck at home due to rain, being at my parents house visiting, and needing to read a 1000 page document for work. I did not have time to "exercise", so I walked in circles in the kitchen while reading (on a tablet otherwise my arms would have fallen off). My dad made a few cracks about how I looked like an expectant dad who was worrying in the hospital, but it just wasn't a big deal.

And don't EVER feel ashamed of doing what exercise you can. Anything is better than nothing, and you should be proud of every change you make to put yourself on a healthier path.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Walking around the yard, you might decide to pull up weeds, rake, or mow the lawn.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've been stared at like a crazy person for pacing around a tiny airport terminal during a 2 hour layover because I wanted to hit my 10K step count for the day. I just kept walking because to heck with other people and what they think.

I was also embarrassed in the beginning to go outside and walk because one time a group of kids saw me walking and yelled "fat *ss!" Again, I just kept going because terrible people and their stupid opinions don't matter. Now I'm 40 pounds lighter and feel great, so I won!

You should keep going too!
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I always try to get 10,000 steps a day, but when it's raining heavily and I still have thousands to go, I have been known to march around the living room for as long as it takes! My other half expressed some concern that I was taking my step count aim too far... but I knew what I needed to do to lose weight and if walking round the house worked, I was going to do it!

Good luck, I lost just under half of my total weight loss by aiming for 10,000 steps walked/day to help maintain a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well that sucks

Maybe you need to get out of your own head and change the location, until you're happy walking wherever the hell you want to again (and no you shouldn't be embarrassed)

You could always walk round the block

Or to the shops and back

It isn't anything that would draw any attention, it's just life
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Why should you feel ashamed that you want to better yourself? The guy who made fun of you should be ashamed for being a piece of garbage. There's nothing stupid about you or what you're trying to do. Download an audio book and ignore the voices. Or I'd suggest a workout video because when the trainer is telling you what to do and you're very focused, it's much harder to pay attention to the voices.

+1

I have issues with negative self-talk as well and have been practicing changing the talk to something positive immediately when I notice myself going into negative territory. It's a hard change but we need to learn to be kinder to ourselves and celebrate our victories. Getting up and walking around your house is a victory. Good for you.

Also agree that distraction with music and audiobooks helps, too!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I like to do a little more in the house, but do my walking outside. Would a little folding desk cycle that you can use while reading or watching tv be doable for you? I'm thinking doing something different might not trigger the internal symphony as much.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You aren't stupid for doing it. You are smart. Anyone that makes fun of someone else for moving more is stupid. And mean. And probably a little sad on the inside that they aren't doing it too.

This. What you are doing is smart and admirable. I know it is sometimes hard to deafen the little nagging mocking voices; recognize that whereever they came from, they are not your voice! It is your own, true inner voice that matters. Let it speak out more over the shaming ones, and it will gradually drown them out.

By the way, if this will reassure you, I have read on here that there are exercise videos made specifically for walking on the spot. Because smart people who want to move more find ways to do it that work for them, just like you are doing! It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, the form of exercise that works for you is the right one.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Put on your favorite music, loud as you like, & walk whenever, however, & wherever you want! No room for feeling ashamed. When people say rude or nasty things, it's not about others...it's about the person saying it...just means they have small, ignorant minds & are not worth listening to.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The voices in our heads can be real killers, and we all have to learn to move past them sometimes. For walking indoors, I've read posts on here about Leslie Sansone workouts, though I've never tried them. You should never feel ashamed for moving more and having the desire to be healthy!