Which deadlift do you pull? Conventional or Sumo (butt)

Options
13»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »
    I don't really like donuts.
    >_>

You've obviously never been to Krispy Kreme when the hot sign is on.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Myself, I started off doing conventional deadlifts and it just feels good. Sumo just looks like it would feel awkward for me (I don't even know if it actually would) so I've never tried it.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Conventional, but mostly because I've only been back in lifting for 1 year and haven't really branched out much past my main lifts. I'm more concerned with working on my core lifts for optimal form at this point in time. I will probably branch out to include additional lifts/variations over the next year. Also, I have tight hips (working on flexibility), and wide stance squat and sumo deadlift don't seem like they would work for me right now, but I haven't really tried either.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Conventional, b/c that's how I first learned...I tried sumo once and couldn't pull as much (obvi), so I haven't tried again. That's lame, I know.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    >_>

I have.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    In a video, Alan Thrall says that there are advantages to doing Romanian deadlifts over conventional when you are just doing a workout. No, you cannot lift as heavy. But he thinks it is easier to load your hams and glutes, which are muscles you want to be working. Otherwise you tend to cheat with your quads and/or only use your lower back.
    I dunno. But I had been trying it.
    If I recall Alan states in that video that one should do RDLs as an accessory to deadlifting if one is having trouble with their deadlift b/c it, as you stated above, it teaches you to use load your hams and lockout firing your glutes.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    >_>

I have.

This doesn't compute...
  • Warchortle
    Options
    >_>

I have.

This doesn't compute...

I prefer savory over sweet. So bagels over donuts at least for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    In a video, Alan Thrall says that there are advantages to doing Romanian deadlifts over conventional when you are just doing a workout. No, you cannot lift as heavy. But he thinks it is easier to load your hams and glutes, which are muscles you want to be working. Otherwise you tend to cheat with your quads and/or only use your lower back.
    If I recall Alan states in that video that one should do RDLs as an accessory to deadlifting if one is having trouble with their deadlift b/c it, as you stated above, it teaches you to use load your hams and lockout firing your glutes.

True enough. But, apart from serious powerlifters like yourself, who doesn't have trouble with their deadlift? Shoot, there is a thread here were people post videos of their lifts to have others check their form, and I'd say the deadlift is the most popular one on there.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

True enough. But, apart from serious powerlifters like yourself, who doesn't have trouble with their deadlift? Shoot, there is a thread here were people post videos of their lifts to have others check their form, and I'd say the deadlift is the most popular one on there.
    I'm not disputing. Heck I even trouble at 90-95% and up. RDL is a great a accessory and when you read these forums with people asking for help, one poster will say one thing about how to do it, and another will say something else instructing a different way to do it without so much as acknowledging which deadlift, if they even know, they are referring to.

I work RDL as an accessory, usually on high rep, hypertrophy sets.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Sumo, Romanian, conventional, rack pulls, deficits, trapbar, paused, double paused. They all go into my programming but for competition heavy lifts I pull conventional.

Rack pulls are bae
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I work RDL as an accessory, usually on high rep, hypertrophy sets.

Same. My hamstrings & I hated them at first but now I like them.