Maybe Sugar IS the Devil - US Goverment Diet Recommendations

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I look at it from the standpoint that a lot of people should reduce the amount of added sugar and salt in their diet, not that they need to cut it all out.

For sugar that is perhaps true. Perhaps. I don't know if you've ever tried to maintain a 1,500 mg sodium diet though. My family has, and it's really, really hard. It requires not only making everything from scratch, but eliminating entire food groups because they have too many naturally occurring mg of sodium. Obviously, processed meats are out, but so are all cheeses and cheese products. Ground beef has 60-70 mg / 3 oz serving.
    1 egg has 170 mg sodium
    1 cup of milk has 100 mg sodium
    6 oz plain yogurt can have as much as 150 mg sodium
    1 cup spinach has 125 mg sodium

It doesn't *look* like much, but the mg add up. And it gets worse the more calories you need; I'm not sure how a blanket recommendation of 1500 mg regardless of body mass or activity level will actually work out.

I watch my sodium relatively carefully, and try to stay around the recommended 2300. I have to be very careful because my mom's got kidney failure; so she needs to stay at the 1500 mg recommendation (and has for several years). The thing is, I "fail" all the the time, and so does she. I can generally keep her at between 1500-2000 mg daily, and I realistically run 1800-2300. While I avoid processed foods (oh how I miss thee, hard salami!) my mom winds up limiting everything I mentioned above (and more); cheese, milk, yogurt, meat, vegetables, based not on their calories but on their sodium content. Absolutely everything, every ingredient, is looked at carefully for sodium content and despite that, I still manage to go "over" budget on sodium regularly!

*Note: This is my actual sodium report from the period from October - January. Please be kind, there were holidays in there that took precedence to budgeted calories and salt for me.

nggco8sdux67.png

There are two important things to notice from this graph
    The more calories I ate, the higher my sodium was. This is not rocket science, but its really notable that I exceed 1500 mg sodium far more days than I exceed my allotted calories (appx. 1600). Getting under 1500 mg of sodium almost never happened. The days it did happen I was having a lot of trouble with lupus and not eating much at all. My experience is that 2300 mg is a reasonable goal, but it takes effort to meet and certainly wouldn't be possible for someone who ate out much. 1500 mg is a tough goal, and I can't imagine anyone who needs more than 1600 calories a day meeting that goal on a regular basis.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ryount wrote: »
    Sugar spikes blood sugar. Do that too often or too much, and insulin resistance results. Inflammation follows. When you are 100-110 lbs overweight for years like I was, IR is a big deal. Hitting 277 lbs and judged pre-diabetic by my doctor a year ago, suffering from joint pain and gum recession (inflammation), I made the decision to make the Big Change. Not only did I give up refined sugar, but also all grains (whole grains, especially wheat, spike blood sugar more than table sugar).

A year later, I have lost 50 lbs, have no joint or lower back pain, and gum recession has reversed. Increased energy, elevated mood. Most of my major improvements came in 2-3 weeks after eliminating all grains and grain products. Weight loss took longer. The program I followed is called "Wheat Belly."

Four months ago, I moved from WB to Nutritional Ketosis, or as I call it, WB+. I had plateaued my weight loss over several months. NK (not to be confused with Ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition in T1 diabetics) emphasizes very low carbs (<10-15 g), moderate protein (70-90 g), and higher fats (80% of calories +). It has broken my IR and I have been steadily losing since moving to NK. Hit my lowest weight in years yesterday. 50 lbs down, 60 to go.

MFP has been my best friend on WB and NK. The display of macros Carbs, Fats, Proteins makes computing the Ketogenic Ratio (how ketogenic any food or meal or day is) a snap. My only wish is that MFP add the KR calculator in its list of nutrients. It's a simple formula.

WB and NK has given me back my health at age 67. The USDA recommended "6-11 servings of whole grains" and "limited fats" is a recipe for obesity, diabetes, as well as providing a rich environment for cancers (love glucose) and dementia (oxidation in neurons). It is no wonder American obesity, diabetes, cancer, and dementia has grown exponentially since these food guidelines were first published in the 1970s.

I have no vested interested in WB or NK beyond being a grateful recipient of their pathway to health. You can read the stories of thousands (with pictures) at OfficialWheatBelly on Facebook. Or get the lowdown on NK from "Butter Bob" Briggs at website "ButterMakesYourPantsFallOff" or Jimmy Moore's excellent research summary in "Keto Clarity."

If you are having trouble losing weight . . . stalled at a certain point . . . simply lower carbs and raise healthy fats. Beyond that, check out these resources for a new way of looking at the American Food Industry.

protein spikes insulin too, so are you recommending avoiding that?

and to your last point, if you are in a caloric surplus and just lower carbs and increase fat and are still in said surplus, you will not lose any additional fat, because caloric surplus.
    His point was sugar spiking blood sugar, not protein. I know protein has been shown to raise insulin, but the real issue is high blood glucose leading to insulin resistance. And blood glucose won't be spiked as much from protein as from carbs.

actually, according to this - http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/ - they are about the same.

so please explain to me why the carb spike is bad but the protein spike is good?
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Sugar spikes blood sugar. Do that too often or too much, and insulin resistance results. Inflammation follows. When you are 100-110 lbs overweight for years like I was, IR is a big deal. Hitting 277 lbs and judged pre-diabetic by my doctor a year ago, suffering from joint pain and gum recession (inflammation), I made the decision to make the Big Change. Not only did I give up refined sugar, but also all grains (whole grains, especially wheat, spike blood sugar more than table sugar).

A year later, I have lost 50 lbs, have no joint or lower back pain, and gum recession has reversed. Increased energy, elevated mood. Most of my major improvements came in 2-3 weeks after eliminating all grains and grain products. Weight loss took longer. The program I followed is called "Wheat Belly."

Four months ago, I moved from WB to Nutritional Ketosis, or as I call it, WB+. I had plateaued my weight loss over several months. NK (not to be confused with Ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition in T1 diabetics) emphasizes very low carbs (<10-15 g), moderate protein (70-90 g), and higher fats (80% of calories +). It has broken my IR and I have been steadily losing since moving to NK. Hit my lowest weight in years yesterday. 50 lbs down, 60 to go.

MFP has been my best friend on WB and NK. The display of macros Carbs, Fats, Proteins makes computing the Ketogenic Ratio (how ketogenic any food or meal or day is) a snap. My only wish is that MFP add the KR calculator in its list of nutrients. It's a simple formula.

WB and NK has given me back my health at age 67. The USDA recommended "6-11 servings of whole grains" and "limited fats" is a recipe for obesity, diabetes, as well as providing a rich environment for cancers (love glucose) and dementia (oxidation in neurons). It is no wonder American obesity, diabetes, cancer, and dementia has grown exponentially since these food guidelines were first published in the 1970s.

I have no vested interested in WB or NK beyond being a grateful recipient of their pathway to health. You can read the stories of thousands (with pictures) at OfficialWheatBelly on Facebook. Or get the lowdown on NK from "Butter Bob" Briggs at website "ButterMakesYourPantsFallOff" or Jimmy Moore's excellent research summary in "Keto Clarity."

If you are having trouble losing weight . . . stalled at a certain point . . . simply lower carbs and raise healthy fats. Beyond that, check out these resources for a new way of looking at the American Food Industry.

and to your last point, if you are in a caloric surplus and just lower carbs and increase fat and are still in said surplus, you will not lose any additional fat, because caloric surplus.
    His point was sugar spiking blood sugar, not protein. I know protein has been shown to raise insulin, but the real issue is high blood glucose leading to insulin resistance. And blood glucose won't be spiked as much from protein as from carbs.

actually, according to this - http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/ - they are about the same.

so please explain to me why the carb spike is bad but the protein spike is good?

Beat me to it, I was going to post that research review.

All the "sugar is da debilz" people fail to realize (or ignore) the fact that protein creates a nearly identical BG spike to carbs. Then it creates a cognitive dissonance because it's been drummed into their heads that sugar is da debilz. Dogma can be a hard thing for some people to let go of, even in the face of science.

I didn't see anyone mention insulin spikes. I believe it was said that "sugar spikes blood sugar".

The people who keep going on about "sugar is da debilz" are not those who are trying to limit sugar for health reasons.

forecaster did and the person I quoted also mentioned it…

your last statement is not accurate.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to stick to my calorie macros for weight loss if I don't eat foods without added sugar or high sugar fruits. I feel fuller and more satisfied if my calories come from protein, fat and lower carbs and fewer cravings. I've discovered this through modifying my macros. Just easier to say no and not worry about it. But to each there own path to success. So funny that some people think we are all the same. Some pople too fine with eating limited amounts of sugary things. So try and figure out what Macros works best for you to stick with you calorie goal for weight loss
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The title of this thread is Maybe Sugar Is the Devil. It is about the US Dietary recommendations. While many people mocked the idea that sugar is the devil (because it should be mocked), I don't think anyone really objected to the idea that not consuming insane amounts of added sugar is a good idea (I think most of us tended to find the US gov't recommendation reasonable enough). Significantly, the US recs -- like the WHO recs -- don't actually say that people need to eliminate added sugar to have a healthful diet. Those who came in here to recommend that are probably off topic. I mean, do whatever you want, but if you want to argue the US guidelines should eliminate added sugar (as someone did), give a better reason than we've seen so far.

As for people's individual diets, not the topic of the thread, obviously do what you like.

As for the claim that people wanting to limit added sugar don't claim that sugar is the devil: It was tongue-in-cheek, but I think OP is among those who think consumption of added sugar ought to be limited (as am I, actually, although I think it is absurd or worse to seriously assert "sugar is the devil" as many people claiming they have issues of control re sugar have at MFP).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

All the "sugar is da debilz" people fail to realize (or ignore) the fact that protein creates a nearly identical BG spike to carbs. Then it creates a cognitive dissonance because it's been drummed into their heads that sugar is da debilz. Dogma can be a hard thing for some people to let go of, even in the face of science.

I didn't see anyone mention insulin spikes. I believe it was said that "sugar spikes blood sugar".

The people who keep going on about "sugar is da debilz" are not those who are trying to limit sugar for health reasons.

forecaster did and the person I quoted also mentioned it…

your last statement is not accurate.

I haven't seen that, and I disagree with your last statement.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The Dietary Guidelines (how the gov't tries to educate people) are really quite reasonable, as is MyPlate. I'm as happy to criticize the gov't as many people, but here I think it's the media that deserves the criticism.

Or anyone equating sugar and the devil, of course.

Yep...lest anyone misconstrue my comments in this thread, I think that the guidelines in this case are perfectly reasonable. Even as someone who tends to take the "all things in moderation" approach, I doubt I come close to more than 10% of calories from added sugar in my diet more than maybe a couple times a week.

My comments were geared toward the article, and the (I believe tongue-in-cheek) title of the thread.

I admit the sugar is the devil was tongue in cheek and agree with your thoughts and those of many posters on moderation.

I also agree thw guidelines on added sugar are very directionally correct and feel the excess sugar hidden in many products is a large factor in many people's weight issues.

I'm always intrigued by the statement that the hidden sugars in many processed foods are to something to watch out for if you are watching your weight. Why, exactly? Is it just that sugar adds calorie density to foods? Ok, fine. So I need to consider those calories and how they fit into my whole day in order to make sure that I don't exceed my calorie goal. Any other reason? People always throw out salad dressing as being a prime example of a food that has hidden sugars that we need to be wary of. A serving (2 Tbsp or 30g) of Kraft Ranch dressing has 110 calories and 1 gram of sugar. It says it right there on the label, so it isn't exactly hidden, and the calories are listed as well, so I can easily determine if that is something that I can accommodate in my day (110 calories - sure thing). 1 g doesn't seem excessive to me, in light of the guidelines we are discussing above.

So why exactly is the sugar in the salad dressing something I need to be concerned about if calories are what matter for weight loss?

I agree with you... for people who count calories and read labels. Lots of folks don't, though. How many new MFPers say they tried "eating clean" before actually counting calories? I imagine that caution is aimed at the people who think salad=weight loss and proceed to order salads with fried chicken tenders, candied walnuts, tons o dressing, and a big ol buttery breadstick. I have witnessed this "salad" disconnect first hand many times. I also agree with you that the salad dressing calories matter more than its sugar content, except perhaps, for diabetics.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    A year ago, there would be cat gifs by now...
    ...oh for the glory days...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

One of those charts show that the carbs spike BG more than protein, which is exactly what I was saying.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The Dietary Guidelines (how the gov't tries to educate people) are really quite reasonable, as is MyPlate. I'm as happy to criticize the gov't as many people, but here I think it's the media that deserves the criticism.

Or anyone equating sugar and the devil, of course.

Yep...lest anyone misconstrue my comments in this thread, I think that the guidelines in this case are perfectly reasonable. Even as someone who tends to take the "all things in moderation" approach, I doubt I come close to more than 10% of calories from added sugar in my diet more than maybe a couple times a week.

My comments were geared toward the article, and the (I believe tongue-in-cheek) title of the thread.

I admit the sugar is the devil was tongue in cheek and agree with your thoughts and those of many posters on moderation.

I also agree thw guidelines on added sugar are very directionally correct and feel the excess sugar hidden in many products is a large factor in many people's weight issues.

I'm always intrigued by the statement that the hidden sugars in many processed foods are to something to watch out for if you are watching your weight. Why, exactly? Is it just that sugar adds calorie density to foods? Ok, fine. So I need to consider those calories and how they fit into my whole day in order to make sure that I don't exceed my calorie goal. Any other reason? People always throw out salad dressing as being a prime example of a food that has hidden sugars that we need to be wary of. A serving (2 Tbsp or 30g) of Kraft Ranch dressing has 110 calories and 1 gram of sugar. It says it right there on the label, so it isn't exactly hidden, and the calories are listed as well, so I can easily determine if that is something that I can accommodate in my day (110 calories - sure thing). 1 g doesn't seem excessive to me, in light of the guidelines we are discussing above.

So why exactly is the sugar in the salad dressing something I need to be concerned about if calories are what matter for weight loss?

I agree with you... for people who count calories and read labels. Lots of folks don't, though. How many new MFPers say they tried "eating clean" before actually counting calories? I imagine that caution is aimed at the people who think salad=weight loss and proceed to order salads with fried chicken tenders, candied walnuts, tons o dressing, and a big ol buttery breadstick. I have witnessed this "salad" disconnect first hand many times. I also agree with you that the salad dressing calories matter more than its sugar content, except perhaps, for diabetics.

Possibly. I just think it's one of those things that people are so in the habit of saying, they never bothered to think about if it makes sense or not...

Also that salad sounds delicious.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The title of this thread is Maybe Sugar Is the Devil. It is about the US Dietary recommendations. While many people mocked the idea that sugar is the devil (because it should be mocked), I don't think anyone really objected to the idea that not consuming insane amounts of added sugar is a good idea (I think most of us tended to find the US gov't recommendation reasonable enough). Significantly, the US recs -- like the WHO recs -- don't actually say that people need to eliminate added sugar to have a healthful diet. Those who came in here to recommend that are probably off topic. I mean, do whatever you want, but if you want to argue the US guidelines should eliminate added sugar (as someone did), give a better reason than we've seen so far.

As for people's individual diets, not the topic of the thread, obviously do what you like.

As for the claim that people wanting to limit added sugar don't claim that sugar is the devil: It was tongue-in-cheek, but I think OP is among those who think consumption of added sugar ought to be limited (as am I, actually, although I think it is absurd or worse to seriously assert "sugar is the devil" as many people claiming they have issues of control re sugar have at MFP).

As the OP, those would be my thoughts.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I look at it from the standpoint that a lot of people should reduce the amount of added sugar and salt in their diet, not that they need to cut it all out.

For sugar that is perhaps true. Perhaps. I don't know if you've ever tried to maintain a 1,500 mg sodium diet though. My family has, and it's really, really hard. It requires not only making everything from scratch, but eliminating entire food groups because they have too many naturally occurring mg of sodium. Obviously, processed meats are out, but so are all cheeses and cheese products. Ground beef has 60-70 mg / 3 oz serving.
    1 egg has 170 mg sodium
    1 cup of milk has 100 mg sodium
    6 oz plain yogurt can have as much as 150 mg sodium
    1 cup spinach has 125 mg sodium

It doesn't *look* like much, but the mg add up. And it gets worse the more calories you need; I'm not sure how a blanket recommendation of 1500 mg regardless of body mass or activity level will actually work out.

I watch my sodium relatively carefully, and try to stay around the recommended 2300. I have to be very careful because my mom's got kidney failure; so she needs to stay at the 1500 mg recommendation (and has for several years). The thing is, I "fail" all the the time, and so does she. I can generally keep her at between 1500-2000 mg daily, and I realistically run 1800-2300. While I avoid processed foods (oh how I miss thee, hard salami!) my mom winds up limiting everything I mentioned above (and more); cheese, milk, yogurt, meat, vegetables, based not on their calories but on their sodium content. Absolutely everything, every ingredient, is looked at carefully for sodium content and despite that, I still manage to go "over" budget on sodium regularly!

*Note: This is my actual sodium report from the period from October - January. Please be kind, there were holidays in there that took precedence to budgeted calories and salt for me.

nggco8sdux67.png

There are two important things to notice from this graph
    The more calories I ate, the higher my sodium was. This is not rocket science, but its really notable that I exceed 1500 mg sodium far more days than I exceed my allotted calories (appx. 1600). Getting under 1500 mg of sodium almost never happened. The days it did happen I was having a lot of trouble with lupus and not eating much at all. My experience is that 2300 mg is a reasonable goal, but it takes effort to meet and certainly wouldn't be possible for someone who ate out much. 1500 mg is a tough goal, and I can't imagine anyone who needs more than 1600 calories a day meeting that goal on a regular basis.
    Yeah, I do agree the sodium target is definitely harder, especially trying to stay under 1500 mg. I usually wind up less than 2300 mg, and it helps that a lot of the foods I eat are made from scratch. And like you mentioned, the more calories you need, the harder it is. If my maintenance calories were around 1700-1900, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for me to stay under 1500mg, but I need about 2500 calories. Eventually though, I may be forced to since I am genetically at risk for high blood pressure.
    That being said, 2300 is still drastically lower than the current average intake, particularly intake among males.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Except it is called insulin resistance, not "insulin not responding to glucose". Glucose alone doesn't cause insulin resistance, nor even just protein. Epidemiological data demonstrates that high levels of saturated fat are associated with it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

All the "sugar is da debilz" people fail to realize (or ignore) the fact that protein creates a nearly identical BG spike to carbs. Then it creates a cognitive dissonance because it's been drummed into their heads that sugar is da debilz. Dogma can be a hard thing for some people to let go of, even in the face of science. Maybe next we'll be hearing that protein is da debilz.

i believe that will be the next scare once sugar is shown to be harmless..

episode five - the protein wars….

Something, something great minds:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10184578/how-little-protein
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do agree the sodium target is definitely harder, especially trying to stay under 1500 mg. I usually wind up less than 2300 mg, and it helps that a lot of the foods I eat are made from scratch. And like you mentioned, the more calories you need, the harder it is. If my maintenance calories were around 1700-1900, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for me to stay under 1500mg, but I need about 2500 calories. Eventually though, I may be forced to since I am genetically at risk for high blood pressure.
    That being said, 2300 is still drastically lower than the current average intake, particularly intake among males.

Take heart! My dad was on blood pressure pills for 15 years when I moved home to take care of mom. I took control of all of our diets. He eats about 2000 calories / day (6'2", 60 y.o.) and his sodium intake runs right around 2300 mg on average. Within one month of the moderate-sodium diet, he no longer needed the blood pressure pills. His cholesterol levels have also dropped significantly so that they are no longer of great concern either. Obviously, case study 1 of 1 but ... we're seeing a definite improvement from modest changes, which is encouraging to me.
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The average American diet as is contains too much added sugar and too many over processed carbs. So, yeah, it's not the devil, but moderation is definitely key.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

All the "sugar is da debilz" people fail to realize (or ignore) the fact that protein creates a nearly identical BG spike to carbs. Then it creates a cognitive dissonance because it's been drummed into their heads that sugar is da debilz. Dogma can be a hard thing for some people to let go of, even in the face of science. Maybe next we'll be hearing that protein is da debilz.

i believe that will be the next scare once sugar is shown to be harmless..

episode five - the protein wars….

Something, something great minds:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10184578/how-little-protein

You should know better than that. That's humor. Weight loss is serious business.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

Except it is called insulin resistance, not "insulin not responding to glucose". Glucose alone doesn't cause insulin resistance, nor even just protein. Epidemiological data demonstrates that high levels of saturated fat are associated with it.
    I get that, but statistical associations don't always hold true in all cases. Recent blood tests have revealed that I do have BG levels that are too high, and I feel confident that it's not because I'm eating too much saturated fat (I don't eat that much). But I do know that my diet has had generous amounts of carbs, and I think it's reasonable to assume that at times it's probably been too many for my body to handle at once.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Pretty sure sugar is still NOT the devil.

The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing people he was sugar.

*slow clap*
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    NO, just NO.
    You need sugar.
    Moderation in all things.
    Overindulging in any food can be bad for you.

In all fairness, cutting out, or at the very least cutting back, on sugary drinks, and that includes juice, is probably not a bad idea, but trying to cut out all sugar, is a bad idea, and not possible or even healthy.

yikes. Please reread the science on nutritional needs. You do not require sugar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I get that, but statistical associations don't always hold true in all cases. Recent blood tests have revealed that I do have BG levels that are too high, and I feel confident that it's not because I'm eating too much saturated fat (I don't eat that much). But I do know that my diet has had generous amounts of carbs, and I think it's reasonable to assume that at times it's probably been too many for my body to handle at once.

unless you have had a doctor diagnosis you as having a medical condition then you can't think that you have said condition, And "feels" don't count as a self diagnosis.