Looking to gain a clean 40 lbs

Options
I lift weights but I'm still in a calorie deficit my number to reach is around 3700

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You won't gain eating in a calorie deficit. I assume 3700 is what you calculated it will take to gain?

I guess I'm not understanding the question...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would eat at a surplus if your interested in gaining weight .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    anakid62 wrote: »
    I lift weights but I'm still in a calorie deficit my number to reach is around 3700

OK

Not sure what you mean by 'clean 40lbs' though
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    To gain clean 40 pounds? What is this?

Get out the deficit..
  • anakid62
    anakid62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will thanks seems like I'm eating non stop though lol
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    3700 and still in a deficit? WHOA! I'm jealous.
  • anakid62
    anakid62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well just eat eat eat lol I know though it seems like you're eating all the time but it will be worth it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you think by eating 'clean' you won't gain fat, you're mistaken
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    40 pounds seems like a mountain to me. I'm new to MFP & gains but I see a common trend with BIG gains right off the hop. Not meaning to be a stick about it but why not lower the target at first? Go for 5. Then once you reach it. Go for another 5 etc. All the best on your gains.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you think by eating 'clean' you won't gain fat, you're mistaken

Amen. In the end... calories are king. Now, OP.. start eating.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain 40 pounds of muscle I'll have to break it too you the hard way: it's not going to happen if you are a natural lifter. Even a young natural lifter is going to struggle to gain 25 pounds of muscle over the course of their life and as you get older your potential drops significantly. If you want to gain 40 pounds and maximize the amount of muscle you gain then eat in a small surplus of about 250 to 500 cals per day. If you can gain 10lbs of muscle within the next year you will have done a stellar job.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Yep to illustrate that fact, I dirty-bulked last year for six months and after cutting all summer I was left with a shiny new 5 pounds of natural LBM.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you take showers the weight will be clean.

I'm confused by your post.

If you want to gain, eat at a surplus. The amount of fat gain will be determined by the amount of calorie surplus.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I bet a burger would be tasty
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Clean? You're gonna need some special "gear" to do that then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    3700 and still in a deficit? WHOA! I'm jealous.

That was my thought
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    going to gain fat no matter what you do if that is what you mean by 'clean'. 3,700 in a deficit you must be one huge dude
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you want to gain 40 pounds of muscle I'll have to break it too you the hard way: it's not going to happen if you are a natural lifter. Even a young natural lifter is going to struggle to gain 25 pounds of muscle over the course of their life and as you get older your potential drops significantly. If you want to gain 40 pounds and maximize the amount of muscle you gain then eat in a small surplus of about 250 to 500 cals per day. If you can gain 10lbs of muscle within the next year you will have done a stellar job.

Yep, gonna take something beyond natural to put on 40 pounds of pure muscle (which is what I'm assuming OP means by "clean 40 pounds"). That would put most guys (even skinny guys) into top-level pro bodybuilder territory. And top-level pro bodybuilders ain't natural.

OP, in case you don't get the lingo, "natural" means not using anabolic steroids.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    But: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

Can't male beginners gain 20-25 lbs of muscle for their first year (2 lbs/month) assuming proper training/diet?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    But: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

Can't male beginners gain 20-25 lbs of muscle for their first year (2 lbs/month) assuming proper training/diet?
    Possible. Likely? Eh. My first year I gained 30lbs. But I guarantee it wasn't all muscle. Abs had an outline, light definition in my shoulders and my butt got bigger. Thinking I gained about 10lbs of fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png