Feminine curves without wobble

Options
Hi, so a lot of you know I can't do much in the way of exercise, though I am going to try some body weight exercises from nerd fitness and see how I get on

I've seemingly inspired quite a few of my friends to get fit. I've told them about the recommendations on lifting that we see on mfp a lot. All of them feel that we aren't overly keen on the body build look as it can be a little masculine looking. I have seen a mixture on here of some cracking looking lifters, who still look feminine, but also those who are the more muscular look. Is it just a case of how far you take it or pot luck whether that's the way your body will go with lifting?

Can anyone recommend the best sort of exercise to firm up the wobbly bits but keep the softness of the feminine curves please?

Just to say, I mean no offence to those who have the tanned, body build type of build. It just isn't what is preferred in this case

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop losing weight when you get to your desired look
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the look you do not want is the leaner very defined look that is a result of lifting weights and getting to a lower body fat. To avoid that look, you just wouldn't get down to such a low body fat percentage. Here's an example of what I mean:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Won't that be what people call skinny fat?
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The "masculine" look is probably the visibility of muscles - this is largely a function of your body fat percentage. Women have a hard time building muscle then men, and it is hard enough for them to do it. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you get involved in a serious body building routine, which probably will involve 3-5 weekly workout sessions that last upwards of 90 minutes, lots of protein in your diet, and most importantly being at the lower end of your healthy weight. Lift - it is fun, healthy, will help manage your weight and you will look great!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    BTW - I lift 4x/week; I am a power lifter (different than a body builder) and despite all I do, I certainly do NOT look masculine!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have muscles and I am still skinny fat.... Its a long work in progress.. going into year 2.. Edited to add I am also 47 years old so hormones, age and where I started are a factor..

You will not get muscular build unless you eat and build like a Body Builder... The image above is perfect for body percentage looks... nice job @jemhh
  • star1407
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My guess is that the look you do not want is the leaner very defined look that is a result of lifting weights and getting to a lower body fat. To avoid that look, you just wouldn't get down to such a low body fat percentage. Here's an example of what I mean:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

That is soo helpful, I can't tell you! Thank you. For me between 20-30% is gorgeous
    Even with my fibromyalgia and stuff, I might try and lift very low weights. My healthy friends will be happy when they see this chart and thread comments so thanks guys
    Please don't laugh, but what is your opinion on sit ups or ab crunches? Helpful in toning up or waste of time?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you won't accidently end up with a bodybuilding physique if it follow the heavy lifting programs on MFP. I promise
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it is VERY hard for women to get that masculine looking, it doesn't happen by accident or by lifting weights a few days a week. Even with low bf%, to get those masculine muscles requires years of effort and specific training programs to achieve that look.
    Just go lift weights, get some cardio and eat a healthy diet, Let your body take on the shape its supposed to, and i guarantee you will love the results and you'll be feminine.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There's basically no chance you'll ever look masculine. A lot of women seem to be under the impression that if they accidentally trip over a dumbbell on the floor, that by the time they pick themselves back up they'll have more muscles than they know what to do with and look like Frank Zane.

The only women who actually look masculine are not only trying to get there by lifting heavy full time, but (and this is key) taking drugs to change their hormone profile to be more like that of a man's.

Just don't worry about it, and lift weights knowing the masculine look is pretty much not possible.
  • star1407
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I really appreciate it. For me it would be virtually impossible to get anywhere near that, what with my illnesses and pain. One of the girls is a complete cardio freak, she throws herself into workouts with vigour and is the one that was most worried about looking masculine!
    It's definitely been very helpful hearing from you guys. One of the things I used to do pre illness was sit ups with that ab pro thingy! You know the rolling thing you hold onto the bar and rest your head on the cushion? I reckon on my good days I could manage a few, but I won't bother if you guys think I'd get more out of lifting light weights
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Man, how I wish it were as easy to build muscle as some women think it is. I'd have bicep definition by now.

OP, even if you were perfectly healthy you would have literally years of coaching, lifting multiple times your body weight, and fanatical nutrition control to even get remotely close to looking musclebound, and even then you probably wouldn't unless you had very good genes, because you'd have started too late in life. Tell your office mates to be a little more realistic about how the human body works. If it were possible to get ripped by accident, every teenage boy in the weight room would look like Ahnold in Conan the Barbarian.

On the other hand, if what you don't like is any visible muscle definition whatsoever, don't lift weights. They build strength and muscle. That's what they're for. You'll sacrifice health and mobility for aesthetics in the long term, but that's okay with a lot of people.

As for the ab pro, here's a general rule to follow: if it's advertised on TV, it was made for overweight housewives who will use it for two weeks and then stick it in the closet. It's not a real piece of fitness equipment.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Try Strong Curves (and no I'm not affiliated.)
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, I really appreciate it. For me it would be virtually impossible to get anywhere near that, what with my illnesses and pain. One of the girls is a complete cardio freak, she throws herself into workouts with vigour and is the one that was most worried about looking masculine!
    It's definitely been very helpful hearing from you guys. One of the things I used to do pre illness was sit ups with that ab pro thingy! You know the rolling thing you hold onto the bar and rest your head on the cushion? I reckon on my good days I could manage a few, but I won't bother if you guys think I'd get more out of lifting light weights

do you ab work if you enjoy it, but if you are doing a decent lift program like Starting Strength or SL 5x5 you don't really need to. Compound lifts work everything, including your core.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it is VERY hard for women to get that masculine looking, it doesn't happen by accident or by lifting weights a few days a week. Even with low bf%, to get those masculine muscles requires years of effort and specific training programs to achieve that look.
    Just go lift weights, get some cardio and eat a healthy diet, Let your body take on the shape its supposed to, and i guarantee you will love the results and you'll be feminine.

Exactly. I say this only half in jest--There are no accidental bodybuilders, just as there are no accidental concert pianists or master plumbers. It takes purposeful time and effort to achieve that level of development and leanness. If a stage-ready physique is not your goal, there is no need to fear as you will never accidentally have one.

ETA: I'm seriously not trying to be rude or snarky by stating the above. I just want to make it clear that getting that look without wanting it is not anything that any woman (or man) needs to worry about.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Exactly. I say this only half in jest--There are no accidental bodybuilders, just as there are no accidental concert pianists or master plumbers. It takes purposeful time and effort to achieve that level of development and leanness. If a stage-ready physique is not your goal, there is no need to fear as you will never accidentally have one.

Need a "like" button..
  • star1407
    Options
    Appreciate the advice guys. I'll pass on to my friends

As for me, I'll try the body weight exercises and maybe start with some dumbells. With my illness, if I overdo it I end up in bed for a week. That is why it is scary to try something new. I've just come out of a flare where I've been bedridden for 3 weeks, pretty crap. I want to try and work on the muscle weakness so I don't need to use my wheelchair and can take walks etc. Starting with my core might be the way to go

Thanks for your input
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    <--- I've done progressive weight lifting programs for a solid two years - in those 2 years I've lost 25 pounds. I'm solid and strong, but ain't nobody confusing me for a body builder.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wish I could accidentally look like a body builder *sigh*
  • star1407
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    I wish I could accidentally look like a body builder *sigh*

I'd like to wake up a size 12 like I used to be, but firmer