Feminine curves without wobble

Options

Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There's basically no chance you'll ever look masculine. A lot of women seem to be under the impression that if they accidentally trip over a dumbbell on the floor, that by the time they pick themselves back up they'll have more muscles than they know what to do with and look like Frank Zane.

The only women who actually look masculine are not only trying to get there by lifting heavy full time, but (and this is key) taking drugs to change their hormone profile to be more like that of a man's.

Just don't worry about it, and lift weights knowing the masculine look is pretty much not possible.

Just an FYI.....let's not throw all women who build muscle into the steroid wagon. There are TONS of us out here who lift heavy, eat big and put on mass without having to resort to supplements.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    star1407 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, I really appreciate it. For me it would be virtually impossible to get anywhere near that, what with my illnesses and pain. One of the girls is a complete cardio freak, she throws herself into workouts with vigour and is the one that was most worried about looking masculine!
    It's definitely been very helpful hearing from you guys. One of the things I used to do pre illness was sit ups with that ab pro thingy! You know the rolling thing you hold onto the bar and rest your head on the cushion? I reckon on my good days I could manage a few, but I won't bother if you guys think I'd get more out of lifting light weights

do you ab work if you enjoy it, but if you are doing a decent lift program like Starting Strength or SL 5x5 you don't really need to. Compound lifts work everything, including your core.

Yes, I starting lifting weights again late October, and did nothing specifically for my abs last year, yet noticed that certain yoga poses like Boat that require a lot of core strength were easier.

woman-in-a-full-boat-yoga-pose.jpg
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    There's basically no chance you'll ever look masculine. A lot of women seem to be under the impression that if they accidentally trip over a dumbbell on the floor, that by the time they pick themselves back up they'll have more muscles than they know what to do with and look like Frank Zane.

The only women who actually look masculine are not only trying to get there by lifting heavy full time, but (and this is key) taking drugs to change their hormone profile to be more like that of a man's.

Just don't worry about it, and lift weights knowing the masculine look is pretty much not possible.

Just an FYI.....let's not throw all women who build muscle into the steroid wagon. There are TONS of us out here who lift heavy, eat big and put on mass without having to resort to supplements.

Comprehension fail.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Comprehension fail.

Hold me.

I'm scared. It's dark. And I ran out of 'roids.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lol well I don't think that the lifters are all pumped up on 'roids!
    Yoga, of course. That's something I could do. I have a seated yoga dvd somewhere I can dig out. Anyone decent to look out for on YouTube? If not I can browse until I find one I like the look of, for gentle yoga.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    who knows, you might start working out and get a little muscle showing and like it. its kinda addicting.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Ok, I hear you, but my feeling was that it's pretty hard for a woman to look like a man without drugs. Of course women are going to add muscle mass by weightlifting, but that's not the fear. The fear is that they'll lose their femininity, which I do think is a rare occurrence (if it ever happens) without drugs. Perhaps I'm wrong. Do you have any images of natty ladies who look masculine?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Yoga, of course. That's something I could do. I have a seated yoga dvd somewhere I can dig out. Anyone decent to look out for on YouTube? If not I can browse until I find one I like the look of, for gentle yoga.

For gentle/beginner yoga I like Rodney Yee's AM PM Yoga for Beginners. Also comes with a PM flow that is a little more challenging. IIRC, you never get off the floor in the AM flow.
  • star1407
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

For gentle/beginner yoga I like Rodney Yee's AM PM Yoga for Beginners. Also comes with a PM flow that is a little more challenging. IIRC, you never get off the floor in the AM flow.

Thank you, I'll check it out
  • star1407
    edited January 2016
    Options
    :( They don't have it on amazon uk. Shipping from America would be too much. Oh well, ooh hang on I wonder if anyone's put it on YouTube ........

Eta yes they have!!
    Thanks mate, you're a star B)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

Ok, I hear you, but my feeling was that it's pretty hard for a woman to look like a man without drugs. Of course women are going to add muscle mass by weightlifting, but that's not the fear. The fear is that they'll lose their femininity, which I do think is a rare occurrence (if it ever happens) without drugs. Perhaps I'm wrong. Do you have any images of natty ladies who look masculine?

I know plenty of steroid free women that have huge muscles and are cut up, i personally wouldn't call them masculine, but others might since society doenst' approve (yet) of women with a little bulk. But these women have been body building for years, with professional trainers or they themselves are pro trainers. and they have had a spot on nutrition for years to fuel the muscle growth, along with endless hours in the gym with a perfect program. They don't have the steroid look that women get, so i know they are clean. But they are built, solid and strong and lean.
  • star1407
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

I know plenty of steroid free women that have huge muscles and are cut up, i personally wouldn't call them masculine, but others might since society doenst' approve (yet) of women with a little bulk. But these women have been body building for years, with professional trainers or they themselves are pro trainers. and they have had a spot on nutrition for years to fuel the muscle growth, along with endless hours in the gym with a perfect program. They don't have the steroid look that women get, so i know they are clean. But they are built, solid and strong and lean.

I'll say one thing, that muscular look might not be my cup of tea, but damn you got to admire the work they must put in, and the dedication.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    <--- I've done progressive weight lifting programs for a solid two years - in those 2 years I've lost 25 pounds. I'm solid and strong, but ain't nobody confusing me for a body builder.

NICE LEGS!! Did it take you the whole two years to get those?! My legs are pretty decent from TONS of squats with my own body weight.. But I'm hoping that my newly acquired weight training plan will give me those!! :)

• telynau
    telynau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I really appreciate it. For me it would be virtually impossible to get anywhere near that, what with my illnesses and pain. One of the girls is a complete cardio freak, she throws herself into workouts with vigour and is the one that was most worried about looking masculine!
    It's definitely been very helpful hearing from you guys. One of the things I used to do pre illness was sit ups with that ab pro thingy! You know the rolling thing you hold onto the bar and rest your head on the cushion? I reckon on my good days I could manage a few, but I won't bother if you guys think I'd get more out of lifting light weights

Star1407, I too have FM/MPS (dxd 1995). Started working with a Physical Therapist the beginning of November 2015. She has me working with dumb & barbells learning squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses. All of the forms right now are for functional movements, 5 sets of 3 reps, with increments of 1.25#. I also do flexibility & balance/stability ball plus good old fashioned walking for cardio. I knew something was missing over the years. That's why I sought the advice of a therapist.

The Physio was quite detailed in explaining about lifting weights & strength training. Women add muscle fibers more slowly than men generally so need years of dedicated strength training to make similar gains. The Physique Models, Figure Models, and Bikini Models have reduced their body fat significantly in order to reveal their underlying musculature. (The photo up thread is excellent!) That's one of the reasons they look very muscular... we can see those muscles that had been in hiding.

It really does come down to what you think and whether you want to invest the time in training your body. Fibromyalgia causes atrophy. Lifting weights arrests the atrophy. Lifting weights in many cases reverses the atrophy, allowing the body to repair & rebuild muscle fibers when coupled with a well balanced diet.

Who knows... You may get bitten by the weight bug and go on to competitive body building, showing in a Physique category! And... You'll have well developed muscles (and tendons and ligaments) to hold all of the bones together properly down the road. Good muscles. Good bones. Good quality of life.

;-) looking too masculine... pishaw... looking healthy and strong is more like it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hi, so a lot of you know I can't do much in the way of exercise, though I am going to try some body weight exercises from nerd fitness and see how I get on

I've seemingly inspired quite a few of my friends to get fit. I've told them about the recommendations on lifting that we see on mfp a lot. All of them feel that we aren't overly keen on the body build look as it can be a little masculine looking. I have seen a mixture on here of some cracking looking lifters, who still look feminine, but also those who are the more muscular look. Is it just a case of how far you take it or pot luck whether that's the way your body will go with lifting?

Can anyone recommend the best sort of exercise to firm up the wobbly bits but keep the softness of the feminine curves please?

Just to say, I mean no offence to those who have the tanned, body build type of build. It just isn't what is preferred in this case

I think you are focusing on the wrong things, and worrying about problems that do not even exist. Based on your profile, you are trying to deal with some serious health issues, not become a body builder, so do not worry about things you do not need to worry about ;) See if you can get a physical therapist to help, and work on improving health and fitness related to functional issues. If a few years into this you do not look as you hoped you would, reevaluate then what might need to change. But do not worry about how e.g. years of serious weight lifting might affect your look, you are just going to drive yourself crazy over nothing.
  • star1407
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi, so a lot of you know I can't do much in the way of exercise, though I am going to try some body weight exercises from nerd fitness and see how I get on

I've seemingly inspired quite a few of my friends to get fit. I've told them about the recommendations on lifting that we see on mfp a lot. All of them feel that we aren't overly keen on the body build look as it can be a little masculine looking. I have seen a mixture on here of some cracking looking lifters, who still look feminine, but also those who are the more muscular look. Is it just a case of how far you take it or pot luck whether that's the way your body will go with lifting?

Can anyone recommend the best sort of exercise to firm up the wobbly bits but keep the softness of the feminine curves please?

Just to say, I mean no offence to those who have the tanned, body build type of build. It just isn't what is preferred in this case

I think you are focusing on the wrong things, and worrying about problems that do not even exist. Based on your profile, you are trying to deal with some serious health issues, not become a body builder, so do not worry about things you do not need to worry about ;) See if you can get a physical therapist to help, and work on improving health and fitness related to functional issues. If a few years into this you do not look as you hoped you would, reevaluate then what might need to change. But do not worry about how e.g. years of serious weight lifting might affect your look, you are just going to drive yourself crazy over nothing.

As I said, it's my healthy friends that are interested in lifting but concerned about becoming too muscular
    My interests, as I mentioned, are possibly some very light lifting and body weight exercises to help strengthen my muscles, possibly yoga for flexibility and core strengthening to help improve my muscle tone
    Thanks for your reply
  • star1407
    Options
    telynau wrote: »

Star1407, I too have FM/MPS (dxd 1995). Started working with a Physical Therapist the beginning of November 2015. She has me working with dumb & barbells learning squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses. All of the forms right now are for functional movements, 5 sets of 3 reps, with increments of 1.25#. I also do flexibility & balance/stability ball plus good old fashioned walking for cardio. I knew something was missing over the years. That's why I sought the advice of a therapist.

The Physio was quite detailed in explaining about lifting weights & strength training. Women add muscle fibers more slowly than men generally so need years of dedicated strength training to make similar gains. The Physique Models, Figure Models, and Bikini Models have reduced their body fat significantly in order to reveal their underlying musculature. (The photo up thread is excellent!) That's one of the reasons they look very muscular... we can see those muscles that had been in hiding.

It really does come down to what you think and whether you want to invest the time in training your body. Fibromyalgia causes atrophy. Lifting weights arrests the atrophy. Lifting weights in many cases reverses the atrophy, allowing the body to repair & rebuild muscle fibers when coupled with a well balanced diet.

Who knows... You may get bitten by the weight bug and go on to competitive body building, showing in a Physique category! And... You'll have well developed muscles (and tendons and ligaments) to hold all of the bones together properly down the road. Good muscles. Good bones. Good quality of life.

;-) looking too masculine... pishaw... looking healthy and strong is more like it.

Interesting hearing what your physio suggested. Mine just gave me a couple of stretches! Walking is my first priority as I love nature and I love walking with my Labrador
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yoga is just awesome, so do try it :) I don't know what causes fibro flares, so I can't comment on the weight lifting. If you can do it, you should.

Women who don't want to look too defined just keep a layer of bodyfat. That's not skinny fat, because they have great muscles underneath. Skinny fat would be low muscle mass.

If a certain bodypart gets bigger than a woman likes, she can always start progressing in just reps instead of upping the weight at that point (or even bump the weight down a bit). It's not like it's hard to stop progressing on building muscle! It's that constant weight progression that is necessarily to build, so she could just chill on that lift (but still do it to maintain).
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it is VERY hard for women to get that masculine looking, it doesn't happen by accident or by lifting weights a few days a week. Even with low bf%, to get those masculine muscles requires years of effort and specific training programs to achieve that look.
    Just go lift weights, get some cardio and eat a healthy diet, Let your body take on the shape its supposed to, and i guarantee you will love the results and you'll be feminine.

Exactly. I say this only half in jest--There are no accidental bodybuilders, just as there are no accidental concert pianists or master plumbers. It takes purposeful time and effort to achieve that level of development and leanness. If a stage-ready physique is not your goal, there is no need to fear as you will never accidentally have one.

ETA: I'm seriously not trying to be rude or snarky by stating the above. I just want to make it clear that getting that look without wanting it is not anything that any woman (or man) needs to worry about.

No accidental bodybuilders

Best line ever

It takes a long long time of busting butt to add 10lbs of muscle and drop 5% of oft fat.

I don't think reaching those two goals is a real "threat" of accidentally happening for the majority of the populace.

There was no snark in your comment. That was pure truth. For me to go from 13% range body fat to 12%'range took work and diet. Those women with 25% -20%!body fat that I know and workout with watch their diet close and work out hard.

No accidents, just hard work.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @star1407 starting with nerdfitness, building on it and from it is great. Your ab machine and some light weights should work in fine. Was it the beginners HasFit that you were looking at for hand weights?
    I have just started yoga and would highly recommend doing a class rather than a video if you have never done it. Those simple looking poses are more difficult than they look; correct form is needed.

Here is a regular real life woman's body at a BMI of 19.7 and BF % in the mid twenties.
    It is strong, has a layer of fat over a reasonable amount of muscle, and has a slightly wobbly tummy.
    This came from a calorie deficit, doing Nerdfitness, aquafit, walking and an assortment of Pilates/Zumba type classes over 2-3 years.
    Muscular bodies do not come easy.

nu0nyx8yppzq.jpg

Yes it is me. I think it is a good example of an average woman who lost weight while doing a bit of everything on a regular basis.
    I know, I've got no shame posting pics in a bikini. If I didn't who would. B) h.