How Negative are you??? I am aiming for -500

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I assumed she meant daily deficit? Mine varies - the account is set to -250 for a 0.5 lb per week loss

As already stated upthread, she is grossing 1000-1400 calories, and burning 500-900 calories, netting a tiny amount. No need to assume, her diary tells the tale of a very low calorie diet.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Read all the stickies at the top of the forum and each sub-forum.
    From your post your goals are ambiguous; it reads like you are seriously under nourishing your body.

Please eat more h.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I assumed she meant daily deficit? Mine varies - the account is set to -250 for a 0.5 lb per week loss

As already stated upthread, she is grossing 1000-1400 calories, and burning 500-900 calories, netting a tiny amount. No need to assume, her diary tells the tale of a very low calorie diet.

Oh I see those posts now

VLCD is now defined by net calories? I thought gross. Netting so few calories is not a good idea, though
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Jkowals123 wrote: »
    I have goal at 1200/ day but with exercise it is between -500 to -1000. What about all of you? My goal is to lose 35 pounds!

wow, what happens at maintenance or down the road a bit. I don't know that's it something to boast about or even post a thread about with so many new folks... Those of us that have been around and know how important it is to eat enough to lose weight suggest to eat enough cals to fuel our bodies, not boast on how many negative cals we have at the end of the day.

Perhaps you might want to read many of the stickied topics or go back to the beginning and reset up your MFP and see why it tells you to eat the amount it suggest. 500 cals is not enough for most kids. Let alone an adult that's looking to keep the weight off. ;;;shrugs;;;; but you'll likely end up doing what you've set your mind too..
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have goal at 1200/ day but with exercise it is between -500 to -1000. What about all of you? My goal is to lose 35 pounds!

So you're running at -500 - 700 of fuel? How long can that last?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So you're running at -500 - 700 of fuel? How long can that last?

I don't think the problem is so much a "fuel" one (because previously stored excess "fuel" in the form of fat) as it is a nourishment one. Can't get adequate nutrition from so few calories.

But the answer to your question nonetheless is still not long at all...and not without the high potential for Very Bad Things™ happening.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is going to come off really mean but oh well, it's got to be said.

You've been a member since 2013. And since then you spend 2-4 months trying to net horribly low then quit. (Going by your diary) You show back up several months after that and try again and quit again. And so goes the cycle. Maybe instead of trying to starve yourself, you should eat at a more sustainable and smaller deficit (basically, net the goal MFP sets for you)?

I'd bet you find it's more sustainable and instead of quitting after 2-4 months, you'll actually stick to the deficit and eventually maintain your loss. Then you won't have to keep restarting losing weight.

And as a registered nurse, you should know what such a low deficit can do you to your body short and long term.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    This might is going to come off really mean but oh well, it's got to be said.

You've been a member since 2013. And since then you spend a 2-4 months trying to net horribly low then quit. (Going by your diary) You show back up several months after that and try again and quit again. And so goes the cycle. Maybe instead of trying to starve yourself, you should eat at a more sustainable and smaller deficit (basically, net the goal MFP sets for you)?

I'd bet you find it's more sustainable and instead of quitting after 2-4 months, you'll actually stick to the deficit and eventually maintain your loss. Then you won't have to keep restarting losing weight.

And as a registered nurse, you should know what such a low deficit can do you to your body short and long term.

Exactly this. OP, your current method is crazy unhealthy and unsustainable. Use MFP consistently as it is meant to be used and you can be successful, just like so many others on here.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ok
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories to eat a day when I burn 900.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Your calorie target includes your weight loss deficit without any exercise whatsoever as exercise is not included in your activity level. As a motivational took, MFP is set up to get you out and working by having you log your exercise and earning exercise calories to "eat back"...this is how you account for exercise activity with MFP...other calculators would include an estimate of your exercise in your activity level...MFP does not.

Beyond that, where are you getting your burn number from and are you comparing that to other sources. If you're just getting it from the data base, it's likely inflated...one really has to work very hard just to burn 10 calories per minute above their basal burn and that type of effort is difficult for the average person to sustain for a significant amount of time.

You should be comparing your calorie burns to other sources and be as conservative as possible. Most people who properly follow MFP's method have some kind of an allowance for error, whether that's an arbitrary % cut or other method of providing an allowance.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Log your burn, and eat to your daily calorie goal. If you think mfp is overestimating, maybe eat 100-200 calories less.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My tdee is about 2700. I set mfp to 2000 but I eat like 2200
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

what? mfp figures it out for you. if you track your exercise, it increases the calories to go along with it. No thinking required.

• L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Beyond that, where are you getting your burn number from and are you comparing that to other sources. If you're just getting it from the data base, it's likely inflated...one really has to work very hard just to burn 10 calories per minute above their basal burn and that type of effort is difficult for the average person to sustain for a significant amount of time.

That's like running at 10:00-11:00 pace for a 150lb person, or cycling at 150w. Not exactly what I would call hard efforts for the majority of people.

1000kcal an hour? Yea, that's something that's difficult for the average person to sustain.

Since the OP is logging her runs as 6 or 6.7 mph I'm going to assume she isn't making numbers up and is putting the pace she actually ran, meaning the calories should be reasonably close.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to start eating back half at least, and monitor your rate of loss over time. If you are losing faster than expected, eat back a bit more. Are you using a food scale?
  • L_Master
    Options

MFP will do this for you. Go to Settings -> Update diet/fitness profile -> then at the bottom where it says "what is your goal" select the weight loss/deficit rate you want (1-1.5 lbs/wk is a good starting point) -> click My Home -> The green number will now tell you how many calories you have remaining for the day. Exercise will be factored into this, so you want to eat until it says roughly 0.

By doing that you will be eating at exactly the caloric deficit you have selected for your intended weight loss rate.
  • L_Master
    Options
    I would suggest to start eating back half at least

@blankiefinder - Can someone explain this eating back exercise calories to me? Once you have a deficit setup in MFP it takes logged exercise into account.

So in other words if I have it set for 1.5lb/wk and it thinks sedentary daily burn is 2000 it will give me a 1250 target. If I then go ride easy for 90 mins and burn 1300 kcal, that target is then adjusted to 2550 to maintain my 750 kcal deficit.

If I only ate half of those back...I'd be eating 1900 kcal on a day where I burned 3300 kcal, for a total deficit of 1400 kcal. Which is a pretty absurd deficit. I'd be ravenous and constantly hungry within a day or two.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Well if your goal is 1200 and you burn 900, mathematically it'll look like this:
    1200(goal)+900(exercise)=2100(to be eaten)
    2100(eaten)-900(burned)=1200 NET

Your NET, if you're using MFP as intended should never be negative.

That being said, most people will eat 50-75% of their burned calories due to inaccuracies in calculating said burns.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are burning 1000 calories a day with 45 minutes on the elliptical and 45 minutes jogging. Start with eating back half of your exercise calories and see how that goes..