My new years resolution is to lose 100 pounds in 1 year. Has anybody ever succeeded in doing this?

Replies

• cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    The general rule is that you can safely lose 1% of your body weight each week. For example, week 1 you could safely lose 2.3 lbs (230*.01). This means week 2 your starting weight is 227.7 lbs and you would lose ~2.28 lbs that week (227.7*.01) and so on. I crunched some numbers for you and using this formula you would weigh about 140 lbs by Christmas if you maintained this safe level of weight loss. So, assuming you are eating healthy, working out regularly and hitting your required caloric deficit each week, you can safely lose 90 lbs by Christmas 2016. Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    100 lbs in a year means 2 lbs per week on average - even once you're down into a healthy weight range.

If you want to set that as a goal, fine, but in all honesty..prepare yourself to be disappointed.

I guess it depends on what type of person you are. If you can set a lofty (read: unrealistic goal) and it motivates you to keep going even if you don't quite reach it, that's one thing. If you're the type of person who will get discouraged if you don't meet your goal, OR you're the type of person who may take unhealthy drastic measures to achieve an overly-lofty goal, then I'd suggest setting a more reasonable goal (say 60 or 70 lbs).
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    edited January 2016
    This time last year I weighed 366lbs, currently 273. So have lost 93lbs in a year. Could have been over 100 if we hadn't had an overseas holiday, and if I hadn't gone off the rails a tad over Christmas. But at the end of the day, how long it takes doesn't matter. 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, or more. Every pound lost brings you closer to a healthier weight, and reduces possible complications.

I have another 120ish to go to get to goal (150) but have no set time frame to do it in. All I know is that every day is one day closer, and feeling one tiny bit better, and that's all that matters.

So, to you. Could you lose 100lbs in a year? Yes, you could. Should you lose 100lbs in a year? Only you can answer that, and only by being completely honest and realistic. At your weight it would likely take a large amount of restrictive practices to do it that fast. Can you keep that up for a year? If so, what will you do when the year is up? What happens if you don't make it by the end of the year?

Set a realistic daily deficit and celebrate each pound you lose, but maybe just set a time frame as a non-essential goal. Good to meet, but not essential.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    This time last year I weighed 366lbs, currently 273. So have lost 93lbs in a year. Could have been over 100 if we hadn't had an overseas holiday, and if I hadn't gone off the rails a tad over Christmas. But at the end of the day, how long it takes doesn't matter. 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, or more. Every pound lost brings you closer to a healthier weight, and reduces possible complications.

I have another 120ish to go to get to goal (150) but have no set time frame to do it in. All I know is that every day is one day closer, and feeling one tiny bit better, and that's all that matters.

So, to you. Could you lose 100lbs in a year? Yes, you could. Should you lose 100lbs in a year? Only you can answer that, and only by being completely honest and realistic. At your weight it would likely take a large amount of restrictive practices to do it that fast. Can you keep that up for a year? If so, what will you do when the year is up? What happens if you don't make it by the end of the year?

Set a realistic daily deficit and celebrate each pound you lose, but maybe just set a time frame as a non-essential goal. Good to meet, but not essential.

To be fair, the 100 lbs going from 366 to 266 is quite a different story than the hundred pounds going from 230 to 130 on the OP's 5'5" frame. They're not really comparable.

That said, congrats on the major weight loss...definitely a great accomplishment!
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    JordisTSM wrote: »

To be fair, the 100 lbs going from 366 to 266 is quite a different story than the hundred pounds going from 230 to 130 on the OP's 5'5" frame. They're not really comparable.

That said, congrats on the major weight loss...definitely a great accomplishment!

Oh, yeah, I realise that. I was rambling away from what my point was supposed to be, that time-frame should be a major secondary consideration to getting healthy. Every pound lost is massive, regardless of how long it takes.

Sorry I got too wordy and off the point :smile: been a long time since I posted anything, I got carried away!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    It depends
    Some people yes, others dont. All about your stats and when you have lots to lose your will power to do it and keep doing it.

I did it....but to be honest i lost the first 2 months a lot of water weight because of a medical issue so had a kinda head start lol ...after that it slowed down....a lot.
    And closer to the healthy weight range it slowed down more and more.
    But i sticked to the MFP method ( NEAT)

Went from 260.6 lbs to 150 lbs in a year and now a few months later 144lbs. My goal weight was 145 lbs and did that in 400 days exactly ( on Thanksgiving day :) lol)

the first 3 months i ate 1200 ( NET) what MFP gave me. Later ( i did it monitored) i upped my calories to 1300 and when i could exercise i ate my those calories back ( about 50%)
    The more i did the more i got.
    After a half year i was up to 1400 calories plus whatever i did in exercise ( 50%)

I worked it all up and at this moment trying to find maintaining level...eating 2000 calories a day and do TDEE method so i dont eat my exercise calories back anymore. And i am still losing weight...not much ( about a pound a month i think).
    I walk/jog 6 days a week and i teach 2 days a week Body-Robic class to seniors.
    Good for a NET burn of 2000 calories a week ( which i dont eat back)

So yes with feeding your body and dont depriving yourself it is possible but you have to work for it...well i had to.
    I ate everything...but i weigh ALL my food. I dont use tsp, cups or serving sizes. I weigh..everything, spices herbs veggies and fruit and yes my candy, cake and pizza too.

95069916.png
  • kryss_xoxo
    kryss_xoxo Posts: 3 Member
    Yes it is but it is very hard. You must be dedicated and meal prep your meals. That's the strategy I used. I lost 110 pounds in 2 years. But I had cheat days and enjoyed the weightloss procress bc I wanted the weight to stay off for good :)
  • jclacantante
    jclacantante Posts: 2 Member
    .how much do you have to lose? 100 pounds is a lot. It's doable in a year if you have much more than 100 over all to lose, say if you're 300++ lbs. but if you have exactly 100 to lose, it will be harder
    I weigh 230 and I want to weigh 130
    .how much do you have to lose? 100 pounds is a lot. It's doable in a year if you have much more than 100 over all to lose, say if you're 300++ lbs. but if you have exactly 100 to lose, it will be harder

• jclacantante
    jclacantante Posts: 2 Member
    Me to i weight 240 i want loose weight 100 pounds
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Trained a clients to go from 355 to 265 in one year. No dieting, just counting calories, strength training and some cardio. Type II diabetic too.

derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amynb524
    amynb524 Posts: 73 Member
    I lost 80 in 2015. I probably could have reached 100lbs lost if I wouldn't have splurged over holidays/vacations/birthdays, etc!
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Trained a clients to go from 355 to 265 in one year. No dieting, just counting calories, strength training and some cardio. Type II diabetic too.

derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    wow that's awesome! Is love any help from you!

• newstart1988
    Me to i weight 240 i want loose weight 100 pounds
    We can do this!
  • newstart1988
    kryss_xoxo wrote: »
    Yes it is but it is very hard. You must be dedicated and meal prep your meals. That's the strategy I used. I lost 110 pounds in 2 years. But I had cheat days and enjoyed the weightloss procress bc I wanted the weight to stay off for good :)
    Wow congrats!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

How tall are you? :)
    5'9

Wow

You're an inch taller and your goal is 30lbs lighter than my current maintenance level

That said ...if it motivates you to have a massive goal go for it ...but just keep going because one thing for certain if you lose 50 or 100lbs in that year you will look and feel a helluva lot better than you do now
  • Sued0nim
    What's your plan of action?
  • newstart1988
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Power walk for 30 minutes a day and eat 1200 calories a day.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    You have an aggressive goal and an unrealistic expectation of the time required to get there. Your plan for such a low calorie is setting you up for yo-yo loss and gain. Good luck.

If you think losing the weight is a magic cure to make you happy, it isn't. You need to deal with the underlying emotional issues first before you can maintain the weight loss.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Break your goal into smaller more manageable goals. Build on each success to get to your 'big' goal. Good luck.
  • Sued0nim
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Power walk for 30 minutes a day and eat 1200 calories a day.

Nope

5'9 at 230lbs

You should be grossing around 1800 to get around 2lb a week

What do you deem power walking? You need to make it progressive, so each week you go a little faster , more incline, a little longer ..maybe add some weights

Doing it every day won't happen you know ..remember to aim for good enough