Hashimoto's, Gluten free and Frustrated...

Options
Anyone?? Just started gluten free because of my hypothyroid condition and would be happy to commiserate with like minded victims about food choices and symptoms...

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm hashimotos and tried the whole gluten free thing for a couple months. Didn't feel any different. went back on gluten and never looked back.

What did make a difference is regulating my medication, and getting in shape.
  • worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    To galgenstrick
    Interesting... Recent blood work shows that my levels are finally getting close to optimal for me and when I eat gluten, I do feel weird, like my body is inflamed or something...but negative for Celiac.
    And yes, getting back into shape is a top priority now and we shall see if anything changes with the gluten... Thanks a lot for your feedback...
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    While the doctors still haven't settled on my diagnosis yet ( they're in between some type of arthritis and lupus along with hormonal imbalances) I have been eating 99% gluten free other than a horrible two weeks back in October, suggested by a nutritionist when I wanted to stop taking migraine meds. I find it really helps with IBS symptoms along with joint swelling so really I figure whether or not they finally figure whats going on, its working for me. Feel free to add me, I cook wheat free (I'd say gluten free but there is contamination in my kitchen) and my diary is open so you can give me a should any time you feel like for a recipe :)
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    worddigger wrote: »
    Anyone?? Just started gluten free because of my hypothyroid condition and would be happy to commiserate with like minded victims about food choices and symptoms...

My GF has hashi's and it took over a year before she started being able to drop her thyroid meds, once going gluten free. Something to do with the metabolites or antibodies of gluten still hover around in your system for a long time. (I'm sure I'm off on this explanation, but the book she read said something to the effect it can take 1-2 years to reverse the damage from gluten, when you have Hashi's)

Fast forward 4 years now and she's almost off all her meds. She hasn't changed anything else about her diet, other than recently starting to weight lift with me. But she has long been dropping her meds before she ever started working out.

:edit:

Forgot to mention she also cut out all dairy as well, around the same time she went gluten free. Mainly due to stomach issues it was causing.
  • worddigger
    Options
    To maroonmango211:
    Hey, thanks so much for your reply and for sharing with me. I can relate to how you feel... I am going to stick with it because I do feel weird when I eat gluten so... I will definitely add you (when I figure out how, ha). I love to cook and would be happy to throw things back and forth, thanks!
  • worddigger
    Options
    To vinegar_husbands:
    Yes, that is possible that only one test was run for the gluten...thank you for pointing that out, I will check into it, definitely...
  • worddigger
    Options
    To Negative_X:
    Thanks so much for the reference, I have read similar things regarding gluten. I have decided to give it up, Celiac or no Celiac. What I read that was interesting was that the structure of gluten is identical to the thyroid, so the theory is the body views the gluten as an invader, attacks, hence the autoimmune response...crazy.
    Happy to hear your girlfriend is doing so well, that is awesome! Thanks again for sharing that with me...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    worddigger wrote: »

Hashimoto's gets treated with religiously taking your meds and keeping up with your endocrinologist appointments. Everything else you are going to read on the internet, and every diet and supplement that is supposed to help, they are also just snake oil. These days, gluten free is the magic diet that will cure everything. If you are negative for celiac, eating or not eating gluten will change nothing. You might feel better, the mind is a really powerful thing, and the placebo effect is very real.
    And absolutely do not get off your meds and do not self-experiment. You will not feel the damage that is happening, until it is time to remove your thryroid, which can take several years to happen.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to do what is best for THEIR body. For me, I've had issues with several things and gluten/wheat is one of them. I now eat GF, DF, Corn free & Soy free & feel SO much better, I also have Oral Allergy Syndrome, so most fruits & veggies have to be cooked because of pollen. I eat a lot of rice, stir fry using Bragg's Amino Acids, just meat, starch & veggies, eggs, I have gotten into some GF baking, my daughter is GF as well and dh doesn't mind it, he's got intolerances of his own and has family history of allergies.
  • worddigger
    Options
    To aggilikik:
    Yes, thanks so much... I am definitely sticking with the meds and doctors appointments...
  • worddigger
    Options
    Kristinemomof3:
    Thanks so much for sharing with me... I agree with you, I do really notice a difference when I eat the gluten... Like the girl who turned into a blueberry in Willy Wonka, haha...
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things being done with gluten free foods. More and more chefs are experimenting with good gluten free breads and pizza crusts and things like that. I am a chef and my brother is gluten intolerant so I have to make special things for him when the families get together for a meal.
  • diesel073
    diesel073 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiacs about a year and a half ago as well as Crohn's disease- so food is double edged sword at times! You'll find that you will develop a "predictable" eating pattern in terms of food choices!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am not celiac, but tested positive for a wheat allergy. I avoid all gluten because it is easier. Wheat is a huge migraine trigger for me so it really helps to avoid it.

As for getting into shape.....

I would love some words of encouragement from anyone who is hypo-thyroid/ low cortisol on how to do this. I am always thinking I feel great. I go back to what would be a normal workout for me and then end up like a ragdoll for several days after.

I am finding to my dismay that these dis-eases are not just a question of "will power." We need a strategy to out-smart them. My latest experiment will be restorative/ yin yoga and a low carb vegetarian diet.

We shall see.....
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that if you do like to bake, Bob's Red Mill has some wonderful products that take the place of flour. My favorite is the 1 to 1 gf blend. It's pricey baking gf, but still cheaper than buying premade gf items.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bob's 1:1 is AMAAAAZING!!!!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Pillsbury makes a pretty good gluten free flour too. It is a green bag I believe.
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Jeneba About exercise and low thyroid: I find that cardio that's easy on the joints (water based exercises) along with weight resistance exercises (less weight, more reps) helps me feel best...
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your feedback! Good stuff to think about, for sure. Can't seem to figure out how to "tag" each name yet, sorry...