High Blood Pressure

Options
nena49659
nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
I began my adventure into trying to lose weight due to high blood pressure. I've been excersizing regularly for 3 months now and changed my eating habits, as well. The result? Very little change in weight and NO change in blood pressure.

Yesterday, I read that getting more potassium into your system can help to lower the systolic portion of your blood pressure. However, after eating a snack of raisins today, I noticed that MOST foods high in potassium are also high in sugar! **Grumble grumble** After a mere quarter cup of raisins for my snack, I only have 3 grams of sugar left to eat for the day!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I began my adventure into trying to lose weight due to high blood pressure. I've been excersizing regularly for 3 months now and changed my eating habits, as well. The result? Very little change in weight and NO change in blood pressure.

Yesterday, I read that getting more potassium into your system can help to lower the systolic portion of your blood pressure. However, after eating a snack of raisins today, I noticed that MOST foods high in potassium are also high in sugar! **Grumble grumble** After a mere quarter cup of raisins for my snack, I only have 3 grams of sugar left to eat for the day!

Fish oil supplements (Omega 3) can perhaps help a little.

You can also use Morton's Salt Substitute (which is a potassium salt rather than the usual sodium salt) to increase your potassium intake ( http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/culinary-salts/food-salts/5/morton-salt-substitute/ )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

My diary is open...I have a lot of potassium...I don't have a lot of sugar. Also, sometimes it is what it is. I've reversed just about everything bad and nasty with diet and exercise and have gone from being on 7 medications to 2 medications...those 2 are for my blood pressure which is largely hereditary for me and apparently has little to do with my lifestyle...but rocking my fitness and nutrition has helped me immensely in other regards and I've lost around 35 Lbs to boot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also...for more potassium...more green veggies...more fruit...more roughage in general. Also, you may be getting more than you think you're getting because it isn't required to be labeled on food products so many things that have potassium just don't tell you.

Some good sources...

- Low sodium V8
    - Broccoli
    - Chard (also spinach, kale, and pretty much leafy greens in general, by chard rules all)
    - Cocnut water
    - legumes (beans, nuts, etc)
    - fruit
    - Avocado

and the list goes on...lots of stuff with potassium that isn't high in sugar
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    One goal of mine is to get off of blood pressure meds--I'm really hoping I can.

I do tend to look at sodium more than any other macros. I try to eat not as much processed/canned/boxed foods--but still do; just not as much and I am more aware of it.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to not worry about the sugar as long as your total carbs are within your desired range. Sugars are just carbohydrates.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar macros here on MFP are off ... I don't know of many people that can actually stay under the MFP default. It don't differentiate between natural sugars and processed sugars. While you should be aware of the natural sugars, fruit is good for you. My hubby was able to get both his blood pressure and cholesterol down with diet and exercise.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Also natural sources of sugar aren't as a big of a worry because in fruits and veg they're combined with other goodies like vitamins, fiber, etc and digest slower than added/processed sugars. Unless you also have to worry about blood sugar levels, don't worry too much bout your natural sugar intake.

My workout buddy is also hypertensive and was able to go over her BP meds for a bit but ended up being put back on due to her BP spiking after she went on vacation (not sure exactly what triggered that). Hers is genetic and therefore harder to regulate with proper diet and exercise.

OP, are you lowering your sodium intake? i would be much more concerned about that than sugars for hypertension.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience but there was a study a few years back that concluded a low carb diet was better for reducing blood pressure. I haven't looked into it all but if you're open to eating a low carb diet it might be worth looking into.

Low-carb diet best for lowering blood pressure:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/26/us-low-carb-idUSTRE60P6HG20100126
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am trying to lower my sodium intake, as well. Until the past year or so, I've never been big on salt anyway. Except, on chips. Which I don't eat much of anymore either.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If you want a super high potassium shake go look at my diary yesterday...except the coffee and creamer, that wasn't part of it :)

Other foods high in potassium:
    White mushrooms
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Brussels sprouts
    Coconut water
    Avocado
    Spinach
    Plain yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Salmon
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes

What helped my blood pressure was maintaining a 3:1 potassium to sodium ratio and drinking lots of water. This week hasn't beengreat on potassium but you can look back at my diary and get some ideas.
  • NoMoreTwizzlers
    NoMoreTwizzlers Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ncmedic201 wrote: »
    If you want a super high potassium shake go look at my diary yesterday...except the coffee and creamer, that wasn't part of it :)

Other foods high in potassium:
    White mushrooms
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Brussels sprouts
    Coconut water
    Avocado
    Spinach
    Plain yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Salmon
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes

What helped my blood pressure was maintaining a 3:1 potassium to sodium ratio and drinking lots of water. This week hasn't beengreat on potassium but you can look back at my diary and get some ideas.

I'm going to try your suggestion. Thanks for sharing! :D
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that helped lower my BP was losing weight. Calorie deficit.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

This! Unless you have a genetic pre-disposition, and some people do, then losing weight will do wonders for your BP.

My doctor first cut my medications in half, then in quarter and now I'm off any and all medications. It's really amazing to me!
  • NoMoreTwizzlers
    edited November 2014
    Options

How much weight had you loss when you began to see results? This study I found says 8 to10 lbs. loss will lower it. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0005068/ I'm there. Now I'm focusing on my BMI.
  • NataliaLueck
    NataliaLueck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Be careful playing around with electrolytes without consulting a physician. Potassium and sodium must be in balance in order for our muscles to function properly, and our heart (cardiovascular system) can take a hit if those two are not at adequate levels. Also, your genetic make up and/or other medications could be a factor in your HTN so again, consult a physician for proper management of your condition.

Good luck!
  • NoMoreTwizzlers
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

This! Unless you have a genetic pre-disposition, and some people do, then losing weight will do wonders for your BP.

My doctor first cut my medications in half, then in quarter and now I'm off any and all medications. It's really amazing to me!

That's great. I told my doctor during my last physical in October I wanted to try to lose weight instead of continuing my med, Hyzaar. He told me the he didn't recommend it, but he could not compel me to keep taking it. I had lost 6 lbs. at that point now I'm at 8 and counting. Gotta go check my pressure today. <3 I also told him that I would come to the office to have it checked every 2 weeks also. I'm due for that Monday. I'm making decent progress. I'm not a spring chicken, so I have to shed this weight now.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    nena49659 wrote: »

I understand just how you feel. I felt like that too a couple years ago. There are "many" things you can do to get the BP down. For one thing, coconut water is good for you and has lots of potassium and other necessary electrolytes. But, do not be fearful of raisins. I eat them daily. The sugar in them is natural, not added.

Also, get an app to lower BP. I do slow breathing exercises for 15 minutes three times a week and I do hand squeeze isometric exercises three times a week according to the Air Force standard that has been proved to lower BP. I also took Lycopene. Doing all this brought my BP down and now I'm off medication.

The more we stress about it, the more it goes up. And, as you lose weight, it will go down as well. Exercise does cause it to go down. At least it should. Perhaps not right after exercise but about a half hour afterwards.

There are also isometric exercises you can do. Do some research on your own. YOu can lower your own BP. If you need medication, take it. But if you have not been given it yet, take this opportunity to get it down and do not be discouraged. It takes awhile.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and getting down in size vastly improved my health. I did a complete overhaul on myself. When I started this most recent weight loss journey I had the trifecta, High blood pressure (some of that is hereditary - some was diet) diabetes (insulin dependent) and high cholesterol. I totally changed my eating habits and do some sort of low intensity exercise daily (generally just walking 2-3 miles a day at a 2.5 mph speed so not very fast)

Now I take 1/2 a pill for the blood pressure and have stopped all diabetic and cholesterol meds.

So depending on what kind of changes you make, it is possible

Just keep working at it
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Most foods actually have plenty of potassium. You mentioned eating raisins for potassium. A 100g serving of chicken breast (measured uncooked) has about the same amount of potassium as a calorically-equivalent serving of raisins. Boom, problem solved. But beans and potatoes are my go-to when I want a potassium boost, they're hugely helpful.

Be aware that the MFP database is missing potassium data on most of the entries. Just because an entry says a food doesn't have potassium doesn't mean it doesn't have potassium, or indeed that it isn't even a high potassium food! In fact, most foods have some potassium (for instance, an 8 oz cup of black coffee alone has >100 mg), so if the food entry says zero or N/A in the potassium field it's almost sure to be wrong.

If you want to track your potassium intake more accurately and you mostly eat packaged foods you're out of luck, because it would be very difficult to find accurate potassium data for many of them, as U.S. nutrition labelling standards do not require food marketers to include potassium data.

However, if you cook from ingredients a lot and/or just eat a lot of simple foods that are in the U.S.D.A. database, you're in luck. If you log things like your meat, dairy, fruits, veg, whole grains (like rice, oats, quinoa, barley, etc.) from using the U.S.D.A. database entry instead of from any member-submitted entry or from a brand-name that packages those products, you can get the entry that includes potassium and get a better read on your potassium intake. Just be sure to search for the food entry that does /not/ have an asterisk by the name. The asterisk means it was member-submitted, but the "good" U.S.D.A. entries were included in the core database by MFP itself at the beginning and are not member-submitted.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nena49659 wrote: »

Hi Nena -
    First suggestion is to have patience. You didn't get where you are in three months. Getting back to healthy takes time but the time goes by anyway. May as well use it changing your lifestyle. You have a good start! Now make educating yourself about a healthy diet your next step. Apply what you learn to your life.

Don't count on losing weight by exercising alone. Use the tools on MFP and actively log your food. Use MFP and the internet to educate yourself about a healthy diet for a pre-diabetic as well as for losing weight. I think that exercise and focusing on losing weight may impact your blood-pressure more than focusing on one element like potassium or salt. A diet rich in fresh vegetables and fruits will give you all the nutrients you need. Getting into preparing meals from fresh ingredients, rather than pre-packaged, will lower your sodium.

Check out the Glycemic Index. I find it a handy tool for quickly accessing which foods are beneficial to a diet for pre-diabetics. After doing a lot of reading on this, I stopped worrying about sugar from fruit. It still has to be within my calorie limit for the day but, because of the fiber, it doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar with resultant spikes in insulin. I mentally tally the added/processed sugars in my MFP total for the day and try to keep that number under 30g.

Glycemic Index FAQs

GI Table of Fruits and Vegetables

Diabetes Superfoods

Setting Your Calories and Macros