Ironically, counting calories made me realize which foods I loved....

Options
13»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have a list in any sense of foods that are or aren't worth it. It really depends on a day to day if I think something is or isn't worth it. Days I've had a lot of activity or have already met most of what I'm looking for otherwise, the list of things that look good at the moment grows.

In particular this thread is making think it has been an awful long time since I had a bagel. I don't even normally avoid them, I just don't seek them out either. Yet I was eating them since before I had teeth.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I've found that I love food so much more now.

Sounds odd, I know, but it's true. I've tried so many new foods in the past 2 1/2 years and kept all the ones I love, and I've enjoyed every day of it. There's foods that I do reserve for certain occassions or have far and few between, but for the most part the only things I've cut out completely are Regular Soda (Diet is just fine for me, and actually I prefer it now that my tastebuds have done a complete overhaul) and Cauliflower (Can't stand it... nope nope nope).

Cauliflower is the devil...

^^^^
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I don't think I have a list in any sense of foods that are or aren't worth it.

I don't approach it as having a list either. There are just foods that I find I tend to not eat when I'm watching my calories. That demonstrates that I really wasn't that into them. But you never know, they might be worth in on a particular day and make the cut. I see zero reason to have a list of foods that aren't worth it -- you decide whether they are worth it or not when deciding what to eat.

I'm another who tends to enjoy how I eat more now, since I am more mindful about it and probably pay more attention to actually really liking the things I do eat.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love this post topic.

Rather than finding out about what I can live without, after Google searches for 'foods high in dietary fibre' or 'foods high in protein' to help with my macros, I have found a new love for things like avocados (they were never ever in my eating habits before), raspberries (LOVE these little guys) and smoked haddock (now my FAV fish).

I have not yet had the opportunity to try and fit in any of my real indulgences such as McDonald's, however I am sure I would make it fit!

I pre log a few days in advance to try and make sure I can fit in all the yummy things I like and then I have wiggle room'

I still worry a bit when I am faced with eating out as where I live that generally means pubs or restaurants where the calorie content is unknown, however it is getting easier and I am learning to make more educated choices.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    I don't think I have a list in any sense of foods that are or aren't worth it.

I don't approach it as having a list either. There are just foods that I find I tend to not eat when I'm watching my calories. That demonstrates that I really wasn't that into them. But you never know, they might be worth in on a particular day and make the cut. I see zero reason to have a list of foods that aren't worth it -- you decide whether they are worth it or not when deciding what to eat.

I'm another who tends to enjoy how I eat more now, since I am more mindful about it and probably pay more attention to actually really liking the things I do eat.

Yep- how "worth it" something is might depend entirely on the day, the situation, and your goals at the time. Doesn't mean you'll never have that particular thing.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I cut a ton out when I first started and then I learned how to properly set up a meal plan, incorporate the foods I like into my diet, and gained a proper understanding of moderation. Thanks, MFP!

I've never cut out things that I like, but with a limited number of calories, sometimes you have to make a choice between something you like and something you really, really like!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    mzfrizz15 wrote: »
    I've noticed that I've been passing on junk food in favor of things that "cost" fewer calories and leave me feeling fuller. For example, an orange instead of 1 serving of pringles, or carrots and hummus instead of a couple of pre-packaged cookies from the shop.

That being said, I still enjoy the foods I like if I have the calorie budget. If I want a burger for lunch, I'll make sure I have something lighter for dinner, like a salad. I'm doing Calories In - Calories Out, basically.

That's kinda what I've done. Now, I'm not going to switch out something calorie dense that I like for something that I don't like. Which does make it a little bit difficult when it comes to snacking! But I do stick with salad-type for lunch during the week, and HSpoon and I are making most dinners at home. And since he is T2, he has to be much more careful to balance his meals, so I did end up eating more veggies than I used to. But overall, I looked for lower-calorie options to foods that I liked, and use those instead. Those little changes do add up!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I've found that I love food so much more now.

Sounds odd, I know, but it's true. I've tried so many new foods in the past 2 1/2 years and kept all the ones I love, and I've enjoyed every day of it. There's foods that I do reserve for certain occassions or have far and few between, but for the most part the only things I've cut out completely are Regular Soda (Diet is just fine for me, and actually I prefer it now that my tastebuds have done a complete overhaul) and Cauliflower (Can't stand it... nope nope nope).

Cauliflower is the devil...

^^^^

Yes. Cause it certainly isn't sugar. ;)
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. For example, donuts are just way too costly calorie-wise for me. Now at work I just take a big sniff of the box and walk away (and get weird looks, but whatever).

However, I do know I need a little sweet something after dinner, and a half a chocolate bar (95 calories) hits the spot perfectly. That's worth it, a 400 calorie donut isn't.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. For example, donuts are just way too costly calorie-wise for me. Now at work I just take a big sniff of the box and walk away (and get weird looks, but whatever).

However, I do know I need a little sweet something after dinner, and a half a chocolate bar (95 calories) hits the spot perfectly. That's worth it, a 400 calorie donut isn't.

Actually, a smaller glazed doughnut from a local shop isn't always that bad. There's one nearby where the simple, basic glazed doughnut they make is a little over 200 calories. Granted, that's still more than I prefer to have normally for breakfast, but it's not going to stop me from going down there and getting one from time to time. And bonus, I live close enough I can walk there easily and burn a little bit of it off. It's all about finding ways to fit servings of what you like into your day.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I definitely learned a lot of foods are less calorie deep if you make them homemade rather than buy them already made! :)
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I make a heavy protein/cakey/donut in a cup. High on protein, zero flour, zero sugar and the cocoa makes me think Im having chocolate.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Menix8 wrote: »
    I think the big one for me is alcohol. I never realized how often I would have a beer, or glass of wine, just to be social and fit in. But now that I'm actually tracking calories, I would much rather use those calories on actual food. I just don't enjoy alcohol that much, and it seems silly to use my calorie allotment on something that I don't even like that much.

I'll take a piece of chocolate over an IPA almost any day of the year.

Same. I made a rule that I only drink with the intention of getting drunk. No point in wasting calories on two glasses of wine that I'm not even going to catch a buzz off of!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Yes, I definitely decide every day what's worth it and what isn't. I realized a few years ago that I don't really love sandwiches, so it's not worth it. I'd rather have a salad for lunch, or dinner leftovers or eggs and spinach. Same with bagels. Sure I like them, but I don't love them. For the amount of calories, I can have something I find more satisfying with more protein and fiber.

I'm not perfect though. I still
    Struggle with mini binges (not clinically binging , but eating too many calories at once on something that isn't worth it, Leaving me no calories left for dinner). I've cut that down a lot but hope
    To completely stop the habit and only eat what, and how much, is really worthwhile.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love this topic. I had a longer "list" of "not worth it" foods in the beginning of my journey. Ironically, I had a higher calorie limit then. Now I still judge foods on any given day as to whether it's "worth it" to me at the moment, but I have gotten less strict on myself. ALL food tastes better to me now because my calories are precious. But I hadn't had onion rings in a blue moon and the other day I gave myself the go ahead. They were the BEST onion rings ever!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree. Seeing foods as an "expense" sure changed my perspective of some foods. And there are a few calorie bombs I won't live without, but portion carefully (like nuts).