Options
124»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    They said the aliens had probes

Do they go down rabbit holes with these probes!??

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    But what if I can work soda into my daily calorie allowance to remain in a deficit?

And if I ate 150 calories of broccoli every day over my maintenance calories, the same math would apply.

That's five cups of broccoli. Every day. :#
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that the OP was just realizing what a can of soda does to a daily calorie intake. And yeah if you have been drinking it and don't "have" to have it, it is an easy way to get rid of some extra calories.
    Seems to me that the OP was just realizing what a can of soda does to a daily calorie intake. And yeah if you have been drinking it and don't "have" to have it, it is an easy way to get rid of some extra calories.

^^This, of course. I've recently pointed out in other threads that 100 cals per day =1 lb per year. I think there are plenty of people on here who might not fully appreciate what a big diff small changes can make, for better or worse.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    But what if I can work soda into my daily calorie allowance to remain in a deficit?

And if I ate 150 calories of broccoli every day over my maintenance calories, the same math would apply.

That makes my stomach hurt just to think about...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

yeah, assuming you use no cooking oils. Have some roasted broccoli with 1 table/teaspoon of olive oil? It's not that much at all.

I dont know most people who just eat raw brocolli or plain steamed with nothing on it veggies
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli with nothing on it actually tastes semi-sweet. But I don't eat a lot of sugar so a lot of FF&V taste sweet to me.

I am guilty of putting salt on it, though, so that may disqualify me as eating it "...with nothing on it...".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

yeah, assuming you use no cooking oils. Have some roasted broccoli with 1 table/teaspoon of olive oil? It's not that much at all.

I dont know most people who just eat raw brocolli or plain steamed with nothing on it veggies

Have it with Sesame oil, it's delicious!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I like people who equate 150C of soda with 150C of broccoli. Soda is pure sugar, will spike insulin levels, and will leave you crashed after a couple hours. Broccoli is full of fiber which will make you feel less hungry so you'll eat less throughout the day.

There are no 'cheats' to weight loss. If you eat processed crap, you are going to have a harder time losing weight. People love to deny that here, and I'm not sure why. It's not that you won't lose weight. It's just so much easier if you eat things like fruits, veggies, and chicken breasts than microwaving lean cuisine. Done both. It's not even a contest.

You know, I've tried to make the switch so many times, but broccoli just doesn't quench my thirst the way an icy cold can of soda does.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I like people who equate 150C of soda with 150C of broccoli. Soda is pure sugar, will spike insulin levels, and will leave you crashed after a couple hours. Broccoli is full of fiber which will make you feel less hungry so you'll eat less throughout the day.

There are no 'cheats' to weight loss. If you eat processed crap, you are going to have a harder time losing weight. People love to deny that here, and I'm not sure why. It's not that you won't lose weight. It's just so much easier if you eat things like fruits, veggies, and chicken breasts than microwaving lean cuisine. Done both. It's not even a contest.

You know, I've tried to make the switch so many times, but broccoli just doesn't quench my thirst the way an icy cold can of soda does.

True. But in all fairness, Diet Coke doesn't taste as good with melted cheese drizzled all over it as broccoli does! ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Hmm? Thawed from frozen broccoli florets, salt and pepper. I don't eat it by itself, though. I prepare whatever for dinner, and then assemble the broccoli beside it. I sometimes add other stuff to it but this is so much easier and hassle free. The meal right beside it is the "other stuff" and provides all the additional flavoring needed :) You may still be right about most people just not eating steamed broccoli by itself, though!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I don't cook with or use oil on my veggies...unless I'm roasting, but I rarely do that. 190g of broccoli with salt and garlic powder :)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options

And the ones who are actually tracking calories, would account for the calories in said soda.
    Why do you assume that my post was limited to only those people tracking calories?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

And the ones who are actually tracking calories, would account for the calories in said soda.
    Why do you assume that my post was limited to only those people tracking calories?

I am guessing when you said you were giving MFP members (a calorie counting site) an easy way to lose weight...Who else would your intended target be on here?
    I'm wondering what OP was trying to accomplish by posting this. I mean, at 400+ posts, he's not exactly a n00b.

I call trolling.
    no, not a troll. just trying to give some MFP members an easy way to lose weight.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Because you posted it to us, a calorie counting site.

As I said though, it has even less merit with those who aren't tracking anything. This means they would have to be intuitively eating exactly the number of calories they need each day + a can of soda. I'd wager that's damn near impossible.