Top 5 Rock Drummers of All Time

Options

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am not a drummer so I don't really feel qualified to comment on the quality of a drummer. To be honest I can only tell you if a song sounds good or not but I can't tell the difference between the subtle nuances of one drummer of a another.

I have seen a lot of drum solos and the most entertaining and the best sounding of those have been that guy from the foo fighters and the guy from blink182.

Travis Barker. I saw him play with the Aqua Bats as a kid. Holy crap that man was amazing
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The Drummers job is to keep the beat. So I think it's about what they're playing, who they're playing with. That's why I put Ringo on my list. And Bonzo at the top. Dave Grohl is awesome too. A top 5 list was tough, top 10 would be better.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    1. Mitch Mitchell.
    2. Jon Fishman
    3. Elvin Jones
    4. Max Roach
    5, Tosha Jones

Look 'em up.

Edit: Oops. Not rock drummers.

Tosha Jones?!?! I used to work with her at Guitar Center in Indiana! What a trip!

exploding-head-scanners.jpg
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    The Drummers job is to keep the beat. So I think it's about what they're playing, who they're playing with. That's why I put Ringo on my list. And Bonzo at the top. Dave Grohl is awesome too. A top 5 list was tough, top 10 would be better.

Ringo didnt even play on 70% of the Beatles records. They used a session drummer.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Replace Tommy Lee with Ginger Baker and I can live with that list. Stewart Copeland deserves honorable mention I think though.

Agreed, though Ginger is more of a jazz drummer in the style of Gene Krupa, Loui Bellson (who started the double bass drum fashion), Buddy Rich, et al. Having recently watched an old ELP live set on TV, I would also cite Carl Palmer, his solo was totally awesome!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Replace Tommy Lee with Ginger Baker and I can live with that list. Stewart Copeland deserves honorable mention I think though.

Agreed, though Ginger is more of a jazz drummer in the style of Gene Krupa, Loui Bellson (who started the double bass drum fashion), Buddy Rich, et al. Having recently watched an old ELP live set on TV, I would also cite Carl Palmer, his solo was totally awesome!

Yeah, even though Cream was technically a rock band, I dont think i would call Ginger a rock drummer, amazing as he was.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

Ringo didnt even play on 70% of the Beatles records. They used a session drummer.

Or as Lennon said, Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would add Lars Ulrich to the list.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Erasure
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This kid!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1qg9myFCqw
    At least he's the cutest rock drummer ever!
  • JaneDough_
    Options
    Culture Club
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    The drummers for Duran Duran, Culture Club, Erasure, Loverboy, and he's not a drummer, but Lance bass.

roy-moss-kiss-o.gif

ETA: Oh, and whichever one of the Village People was the drummer. I think maybe the construction worker. (There was a construction worker, right?)
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1) John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
    2) Mikkey Dee - Motorhead
    3) Neil Peart - Rush
    4) Mike Portnoy - Dream Theatre
    5) James The Reverend Sullivan - Avenged Sevenfold

Honorable mentions - Danny Carey (Tool), Travis Barker (Blink 182), Joey Jordison (Slipknot), Tomas Haake (Meshuggah), Dave Lombardo (Slayer), Jason Bittner (Shadows Fall)
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Does Travis Barker count?

Sorry....im a sucker for tattoos
  • JaneDough_
    Options
    Come on now.... the best band ever...

WHAM!!!!!

0.jpg
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Come on now.... the best band ever...

WHAM!!!!!

0.jpg

that one dude married one of the girls from Bananarama.

the other dude gets arrested a lot.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Travis Barker :love:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know who the drummer was, but these guys sure had rhythm!

**** it. Just imagine a Village People gif. I give up.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I wanted to throw SHEILA E. in the mix! I know she's not a rock drummer but she ROCKS!

As far as rock drummers go I think your list is pretty good.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Not true. That's a rumor. Facts are facts. Ringo played on every released Beatles recording except for the songs that were released when he quit(temporarily) and a release of Love Me Do. Ringo has almost perfect tempo. Ringo is right up there in my book,