What activity level would you consider a SAHM?

Options
2»

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Every SAHM is going to be different. Some will sit most of the day, others will be active. The only person who knows where you fall on that spectrum is you.

Pick a setting that you think describes you and go with it for a month or so. If you're not losing at the rate you should, consider adjusting it. Make sure you give it enough time (4-6 weeks) before you make any adjustments.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    So basically what everyone is saying is I need a Fitbit lol, actually I have been wanting one for a while so maybe it's time to get one.

I'm actually really comfortable eating 1400-1500 calories per day, and although I don't mind lowering my 1lb per week loss to 1/2lb per week, I'd really like to get this right, so I'm able to adjust my calorie intake as I get closer to goal. The 2.6lb loss is likely a little water weight, however I lost 3lbs the week before as well.

Try to make sure you weigh constantly as well. I weigh a pound ot two lighter in the morning vs the evening. Also that the scale is on the same surface and you should try to keep clothes weight the same (underoos usually is easiest). Then track a trend over the week. If you provide stats we can also use those to see if it's your intake or possible activity.

If you feel you are losing to fast just up your calories to 200 extra a day for the week and track then trend. Rinse repeat to where you want to be. That's the way to really calc your tdee without a computer doing it. Good luck losing.
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I work part time, and have 3 children, all school aged. My work days are sedentary. On my home days, I sometimes have 10,000 steps up by 9am. I have my activity level set to lightly active.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Set to seditary. If you do a workout add it in. Basic movement through the day can help but you really need to get your heart rate up to do any serious burning. If it's your first week losing weight I doubt you lost 2.6 pounds of fat just yet. Daily weight Flux can be 2-3 pounds. I've heard some report 5 in shark week.

Sorry, gotta disagree here. I used to use a BodyMedia Fit (I am so pissed they stopped supporting it) and my biggest calorie burn days were not heavy workout days, but days when I was hosting a party. Because I was in constant motion from the time I got up until I fell into bed. I'm talking over 3000 calories a day.

So as a SHAM running after kids I would say at a minimum you are at least "lightly active."
    I agree. Although I'm a guy, I had a job over the summer that had me on my feet all day. Very little of that counted as "moderate exercise", but according to my Fitbit I burned about 2800 calories most days I worked, which is a lot for a 125 lb person.

Depending on the work sure sure. I don't know your stats. 2800 sounds a little high even if the job is active but sure. Where you eating around 4.5k cals a day to maintain.
    Not sure where you got the 4k+ calories from, but from my estimates (some foods I eat are hard to properly log) I was eating about 2600 calories a day (including the days I didn't work). So it may be that my Fitbit slightly overestimated my calories burned, as including my off days it had me around 2700 calories a day.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Set to seditary. If you do a workout add it in. Basic movement through the day can help but you really need to get your heart rate up to do any serious burning. If it's your first week losing weight I doubt you lost 2.6 pounds of fat just yet. Daily weight Flux can be 2-3 pounds. I've heard some report 5 in shark week.

Sorry, gotta disagree here. I used to use a BodyMedia Fit (I am so pissed they stopped supporting it) and my biggest calorie burn days were not heavy workout days, but days when I was hosting a party. Because I was in constant motion from the time I got up until I fell into bed. I'm talking over 3000 calories a day.

So as a SHAM running after kids I would say at a minimum you are at least "lightly active."
    I agree. Although I'm a guy, I had a job over the summer that had me on my feet all day. Very little of that counted as "moderate exercise", but according to my Fitbit I burned about 2800 calories most days I worked, which is a lot for a 125 lb person.

Depending on the work sure sure. I don't know your stats. 2800 sounds a little high even if the job is active but sure. Where you eating around 4.5k cals a day to maintain.
    Not sure where you got the 4k+ calories from, but from my estimates (some foods I eat are hard to properly log) I was eating about 2600 calories a day (including the days I didn't work). So it may be that my Fitbit slightly overestimated my calories burned, as including my off days it had me around 2700 calories a day.

Nope that sounds good. Its hard when poeple are stating what they "burned" vs what would be their BRM vs TDEE. I was under the impression you were claiming to burn 2800 at work on top of your BMR of around ~1800. Burning 2800 calories total for the day in an active work day is very possible if there is lots of constant walking.