There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Eating 2pieces of bacon each and every day increases your risk of developing colon cancer from 5% to 6%. That's not that significant
    Egg actly. While I cooked bacon for a cancer patient he laughed when we'd discuss topics like this. Their family history had a more significant impact then their diet.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    The UK Government has just labelled ALL processed meats, including bacon and sausages as being dangerous to health [cancer causing] so how can they not be bad?
    Gosh, IDK, bacon has fatty acids I need?!? It tastes really good and what cancer will I get by eating it or increase a likelihood of XXXX cancer? Colon? Can they tell me where it will begin in my body? Any idea where or what primary organs it will go to? The problem with statements like this 'cancer causing' is always fascinating to me. And while I'm American, bangers and mash is heaven on Earth with a Bass Ale. If I am going to die due this glorious combo of foods....I'm okay with it.

Sorry OP; if you need to use labels have it. I'm just eating for fuel to do stuff. I would say things like stress have a greater impact on health then almost any combo of food consumption.

Bowel cancer

I think this has been 'known' for a while, seared meat, etc comes to mind. Moderation probably helps; if I eat 2 pounds of sausage daily and sit around like 3 toed sloth then maybe it increases my likelihood of cancer. Then again....

Three toed sloths are cute! I want to be one in my next life ;)

dr4h74izuzsk.jpeg
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    There are bad behaviors. Food is neutral. Ingesting too much of something based on your body's needs is a bad behavior, not a bad food. You can ingest too much bacon or oat bran or water. None of those are bad; it's your behavior based on your body's needs that's bad. That means you tailor your behavior. For me, sugar is bad and almost all carbs are bad, but that doesn't make them bad foods. That makes them bad for me due to medical and behavioral issues. The food itself is neutral.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    __Wolf__ wrote: »
    Ldcota wrote: »
    The UK Government has just labelled ALL processed meats, including bacon and sausages as being dangerous to health [cancer causing] so how can they not be bad?

When did that happen? I must have totally missed it and I do read the Daily Fail. Surely it would have been a headline?

There is increasing scientific evidence that eating cured meats can significantly increase your risk for cancer.

Statistically significantly. Not necessarily significantly. The effect size is negligible, I believe.

Here is what I read: "50g portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk for colorectal cancer by about 18%, and that 100 g of red meat could increase the risk for colorectal cancer by 18%."

One's risk of colon cancer is 5% before eating daily processed meats. If you raise that by 18% it brings you to a 6% risk. It is a small increase that some are going to risk.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "There are lots of foods that are 'bad' but obviously only when they are eaten in high volume and too frequently."

This sentence right there is exactly why they AREN'T bad foods. If you have to eat it in high volume or too frequently for it to affect you negatively, then it isn't inherently bad.

Also I generally feel like the "no bad foods" idea is usually in reference to weight loss specifically, NOT overall health. It's apples to oranges.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. There are bad diets made up of too much of any food.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

When did that happen? I must have totally missed it and I do read the Daily Fail. Surely it would have been a headline?

There is increasing scientific evidence that eating cured meats can significantly increase your risk for cancer.

Statistically significantly. Not necessarily significantly. The effect size is negligible, I believe.

Here is what I read: "50g portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk for colorectal cancer by about 18%, and that 100 g of red meat could increase the risk for colorectal cancer by 18%."

Now factor in the base rate of bowel cancer and math it out. For argument's sake, let's say you have an approximately 1% chance of getting bowel cancer. Eating 50g of processed meat or 100g of red meat EVERY DAY raises your risk to still less than a 2% chance.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I need some foods to be 'bad' - if everything was good I'd never lose weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As comparison, smoking increases your risk of developing by 2500%. 2 pieces of bacon every day increases your risk by 18% (from 5 to 6%). Not that big of an increase
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Gosh, IDK, bacon has fatty acids I need?!? It tastes really good and what cancer will I get by eating it or increase a likelihood of XXXX cancer? Colon? Can they tell me where it will begin in my body? Any idea where or what primary organs it will go to? The problem with statements like this 'cancer causing' is always fascinating to me. And while I'm American, bangers and mash is heaven on Earth with a Bass Ale. If I am going to die due this glorious combo of foods....I'm okay with it.

Sorry OP; if you need to use labels have it. I'm just eating for fuel to do stuff. I would say things like stress have a greater impact on health then almost any combo of food consumption.

Bowel cancer

I think this has been 'known' for a while, seared meat, etc comes to mind. Moderation probably helps; if I eat 2 pounds of sausage daily and sit around like 3 toed sloth then maybe it increases my likelihood of cancer. Then again....

Three toed sloths are cute! I want to be one in my next life ;)

dr4h74izuzsk.jpeg
    woo hoo! Love the pic.....and in my next life I want to move faster then a turtle(terrapin) ;)

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But why?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Not significantly, minutely, like having exposed skin in the sun for a few minutes a day can minutely increase your cancer risk. Now eat nothing but everyday and the it will be significantly increased just like your risk increases significantly if you get a sunburn every summer.

Proportion is important.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    As comparison, smoking increases your risk of developing by 2500%. 2 pieces of bacon every day increases your risk by 18% (from 5 to 6%). Not that big of an increase

Well I totally agree but tell that to the UK Government - why scaremonger over a bacon butty? The Government has demonised processed meat, making it 'bad' though.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Now factor in the base rate of bowel cancer and math it out. For argument's sake, let's say you have an approximately 1% chance of getting bowel cancer. Eating 50g of processed meat or 100g of red meat EVERY DAY raises your risk to still less than a 2% chance.

I absolutely agree. A 1% increase in my risk of cancer is significant enough for me to not eat processed meats anymore. It may not be significant enough for you to take it out of your diet. We bring our values to our food. That was the point of my first post.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Okay, so here is what I'd recommend. Use this app for calorie counting. On days you go over make a list of every food you ate last. Boom. They are bad because they prevent you from losing weight. Example: this week my 'bad' foods are semi sweet morsels with Jif peanut butter, PB&J sandwich, chicken wings, and a protein shake with blueberries, yogurt, whey protein, honey, etc. So my 'bad' list is just from 4 days. Dammit.......now I need food.

• ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think the fact you could eat bacon every damn day and it'd only raise your risk of cancer by about 1% is basically proof that no foods are bad. Haha
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nope. Considering food 'good' and 'bad' is what caused me to have issues with eating and feeling guilt when I'd eaten something 'bad'.

Food is food. Some has more nutritional value than others and making the decision about what to use your daily calories on is part of the challenge of weight loss (or gain, or maintenance). But I'm never gonna say any food is "bad" because it isn't.

Well said. Food is. Our judgments are our own. Let's leave the guilt at the door.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think of food as bad/good, or healthy/unhealthy. I do, however, think of food as appropriate or inappropriate, but that depends on the context of my meal, my day, or my oh-god-I'm-going-to-scream-if-I-don't-have-it ness.
  • suziecue20
    Options

Okay, so here is what I'd recommend. Use this app for calorie counting. On days you go over make a list of every food you ate last. Boom. They are bad because they prevent you from losing weight. Example: this week my 'bad' foods are semi sweet morsels with Jif peanut butter, PB&J sandwich, chicken wings, and a protein shake with blueberries, yogurt, whey protein, honey, etc. So my 'bad' list is just from 4 days. Dammit.......now I need food.

Aha so you admit you eat 'bad' foods lol

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

But why?

Because Gotham needs a Dark Knight.