When your bored at work and there's a big bowl of chocolates just waiting to be eaten....

Options
13»

Replies

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I either eat one or two and log them, or if I think I can't stop at 1 or 2, I don't eat any. I also keep snacks at my desk so if I really, truly am *hungry* I have something to eat other than the chocolate. I also keep chocolate at my desk, so if there isn't any sitting around in the office and I want a piece, I have it. When I started this weight loss, I just made the decision that I wasn't going to eat anything unless it was logged, but I *could* eat whatever I want if, and only if 1) I logged it; 2) it didn't screw up my calories for the day; and 3) it was worth the calories it cost. Sometimes that piece of chocolate is well worth the calories and sometimes it just isn't. That's what I've done for 4 years now and at 104 pounds down, it seems to be working.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    I find keeping a small orange helps. They are sweet so satisfies my sweet tooth

an orange = 75+ calories
    a chocolate = 40+

it truly depends on what will satisfy

Very true. I find if I really, really want something and try to substitute, I end up eating the substitute and then the thing I was craving anyway, leading to even more calories.

This is me too. If I really want something, I eat that something and simply log it. I end up eating far less calories that way than trying to find a substitution!
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think this whole snacking phenomenon is fueled by the myth that you should eat 5-6 small meals a day to "keep your metabolism running". There is no truth to this and is contributing to the obesity epidemic. People think they need to snack throughout the day because it's good for metabolism and don't realize how many calories this is turning into. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner - skip the snacks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think this whole snacking phenomenon is fueled by the myth that you should eat 5-6 small meals a day to "keep your metabolism running". There is no truth to this and is contributing to the obesity epidemic. People think they need to snack throughout the day because it's good for metabolism and don't realize how many calories this is turning into. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner - skip the snacks.

I'll snack if I want.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'll snack if I want.

Never get between an MFPer and their snacks. You'll get cut
  • cthakkar1985
    Options
    __Wolf__ wrote: »

I'll snack if I want.

If you can fit it into your daily calories, I'm all for snacking. The people that think they NEED to snack to keep their metabolism running is where I think it can become a problem.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I'll snack if I want.

#Preach

If you're hungry (truly hungry, not bored or dehydrated or emotional) eat. Weight loss and health in general should not be punishment based. I will not deprive myself and I will not punish myself.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I put it into my log before I eat it. That helps me decide if it's worth the calories. I would love a donut, but is it worth cutting out half the calories I would use on dinner? Probably not.
  • __Wolf__
    Options

I'll snack if I want.

If you can fit it into your daily calories, I'm all for snacking. The people that think they NEED to snack to keep their metabolism running is where I think it can become a problem.

My snacking keeps me from being a homicidal maniac, though.
  • cthakkar1985
    Options

I'll snack if I want.

Then you should snack
  • __Wolf__
    Options

I'll snack if I want.

Then you should snack

*puts down knife*
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I bring snacks, even chocolate b/c I know the calories in the snacks I bring. Sometimes we have vendors send like a container of chocolate bark, and that needs to be weighed so I make sure I portion it properly. So I just bring it. I love chocolate. The only way I'll stop eating it is if I become allergic or something like that (knock on wood). The trail mix I make has dark chocolate chips in it, and that satisfies my sweet cravings. I also bring some cinnamon pita chips with peanut butter which also satisfies my sweet tooth. The things that I bring, I enjoy a lot more than what the office has.

Now, when we get donuts from this fantastic local bakery, then yes, I will have one of those because they are so good. I just substitute my normal breakfast for 1 donut and everything evens out.
  • Dyana1109
    Dyana1109 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do need a different job. Right now I sit on my buttocks in front of the PC M-F doing my job. However we get slow seasons which is now. My previous job I was walking as much as I was sitting. Now there's really not much to walk to anywhere. I can't move my desk as we are a very small dept. Maybe when I hit my 2 year mark I will consider applying elsewhere.

Thanks for all the posts! It's good to know I'm not in the boat alone =)