Does pant size mean anything?

Options
Most recently I've put on a few pounds , from 110 to 112-114. I personally feel like I can see a difference but I still fit into my size 2 and 4 jeans. I'm also 5'1". I have a slightly toned belly but it sticks out a little. I'm just curious as to how you all view jean size . Does it really mean your skinny just because you're a small size or do many other factors play a roll?
I've been told I have bad body imagine and I know I do so I know I don't look nearly as bad as I see myself but I don't think I'm as slim as the normal size 2.
If any of this makes sense I would love some opinions :)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about seeking out professional help for Body dysmorphia? It sounds like you can use it. You're talking about 2-4 lbs. That's nothing.
  • Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I lost 60 lbs a couple years ago, I lost 8 inches in pants size. Yes, it means something. Probably not 2-4 lbs though.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    2-4lbs at 5ft 1 is not nothing. It can mean a difference in how clothes fit. OP, i understand where you are coming from.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You're thinking about it too hard. If you still fit in your pants, great. If you put on a little weight and are uncomfortable with it, that's fine-you can lose it if you'd like. There are so many factors that go into pants sizes for women, including height and body fat%. I have recently put on 10 lbs and still wear the same size pants.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'8/135 lbs and also fit into a size 2/4. So take it for what its worth.

Some people have small scale numbers and small clothes sizes but have loose hanging flabby skin and lack muscle mass so they look larger then they are.

Some people can wear a size 10 pants and look fit and tight and toned. There's a mod here that is currently 180lbs but has abs. So sometimes there's more to the story then just clothes size or the scale.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    If you're a man I'd say yes. Pants are sold by waist and inseam.

For women, I don't put much stock in pant size. I used to wear a size 8 gap jeans as a teenager and now I wear a 4. I'm pretty sure I was smaller back then... Also most jeans seem to have stretch to them which makes them more forgiving of weight fluctuations.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

For women, I don't put much stock in pant size. I used to wear a size 8 gap jeans as a teenager and now I wear a 4. I'm pretty sure I was smaller back then... Also most jeans seem to have stretch to them which makes them more forgiving of weight fluctuations.
  • arditarose
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

This is true about the stretch, especially the way jeans have been made for the past 10 years or so. I do buy my jeans by waist size though.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think if you can fit into a small jeans size it's a pretty good indicator that you're at least not overweight. I have jeans in my closet from 6-10 and wear them all with varying degrees of comfort, but if you're a size 20 at the Gap you're not going to go next door to Old Navy and suddenly be a size 2.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    Most recently I've put on a few pounds , from 110 to 112-114. I personally feel like I can see a difference but I still fit into my size 2 and 4 jeans. I'm also 5'1". I have a slightly toned belly but it sticks out a little. I'm just curious as to how you all view jean size . Does it really mean your skinny just because you're a small size or do many other factors play a roll?
    I've been told I have bad body imagine and I know I do so I know I don't look nearly as bad as I see myself but I don't think I'm as slim as the normal size 2.
    If any of this makes sense I would love some opinions :)

At 110 if you gained a couple of pounds you'll notice. I'm 124 and notice at 5'2". I wear size 6-8 and think I look good but am 61 so am sure I'm much more tolerant about it. Lose 4#, back to 110. What's your waist measurement? Don't go by pants size as there is so much variation.

• pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My waist is 27 but it's still 26/27 when I was 108-110
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    2-4lbs at 5ft 1 is not nothing. It can mean a difference in how clothes fit. OP, i understand where you are coming from.

Yup I'm 5"4 and gained 3lbs over Xmas and now my jeans are awfully snug... too snug!
  • arditarose
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »

Yup I'm 5"4 and gained 3lbs over Xmas and now my jeans are awfully snug... too snug!

Yup yup. I'm 5'4" too. 3 lbs makes a big difference, at least in the 130s and below. I gained a lot more than 3 lbs over xmas lol.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    FWIW I'm a shortie too (5'2) and I'm just scratching the surface of a Normal BMI. I dropped from size 8 to a 6 in a matter of days and like a 2 lbs difference. But when I say 2-4 lbs is nothing, I mean that as, it could be a normal fluctuation. It could be water retention due to hormones. And yes, maybe it is real weight gain. But OP said her pants still fit her and she has issues with body image. So my advice to her is to not worry about 2-4 lbs and to seek some help for her image issues. Maybe even taking photos of herself will help her put things into perspective (like progress pictures, of what she looks like at 110 and 114).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    My waist is 27 but it's still 26/27 when I was 108-110

Our waists are the same size if you hit me on a good day! But I wear a much larger size pants, so that could answer your question, I think. All sorts of proportions have to fit into women's pants.

I have a wide pelvis and work hard lifting to have a larger booty, lol. I wear a larger pants size than many women's goal at my height (5'6"), but I don't feel embarrassed by the size (most usually a 8-10, but anywhere from a 6-12 in common stores).

If someone had a very small frame, they could certainly be lumpy in a small size pants, too. It just depends on body composition, same as with the bigger sizes. It is much more rare to be that petite, though, so most small-sized girls don't have to think twice about it :)

I can tell when I've put on 3 lbs, too, btw. My lower tummy is the canary in the coalmine!