Did you have a lot of joint pain or general aches and pains at your heaviest weight?

Options
I was wondering for those who have already had success losing weight and those who are just beginning, do/did you have joint pain or a lot of general aches and pains at your heaviest weight and did they go away if you've lost weight?

Replies

• desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All my joint pain and chronic medical diagnoses came when I was at maintenance. Everyone is different
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have pain, but I did have some mobility issues that went away with weight loss. Exercise also helped quite a bit in my case with my knee issues.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Some aches go away to be replaced by new ones. :lol: In all seriousness though, I was never horribly overweight to start with, but I had a lot knee pain from working retail for years and having to kneel on the ground to fold clothes. Now that I have uped the cardio and weightlifting, it has significantly improved. However, I have found that now I have a lot more foot pain than I normally did, even with insoles. So it is likely you will experience a decrease in overall pain, but it's hard to say for sure until it happens.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My joint pain is arthritis but losing 65 lbs has helped but not a lot. I excercise as much as i can and that helps with the stiffness but i dont think it will ever go away the damage is done but maybe i can slow it down.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My knee osteoarthritis improved with a 35-40lb weight loss. My upper body autoimmune arthritis improved after cutting carbs and sugars to very low levels. My hip OA improved somewhat but not as much as my AIArthritis or knee OA did.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My foot, knee, low back, and hip pain has all but disappeared as the result of losing weight AND getting stronger.

67388953.png
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had wrist, ankle and back pain. I don't have it anymore now that I'm a healthy bmi.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I Did. At my heaviest I was 210lbs. My ankles and knees hurt pretty much constantly. I still have hip issues but that is has shown to be structural.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was 262lbs at my highest. I injured my hip flexor from bending over at the waist too much and had very weak abdominal muscles. Things like my knees were more noticeably painful, and they have improved since dropping 60lbs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of foot pain that disappeared. It came back last month (put back on 30 of what I lost), but it seems to have disappeared now that I'm back to counting calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    The arthritis in my foot was more painful when I was heavier.
  • Cikan_Vuz
    Cikan_Vuz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I suffer RSD in my feet and lower limbs, and before that Migraines due to a head/neck injury. Allergic to morphine so I cannot take most effective pain killers. Hard to do anything, I lost 40 pounds but it took it toll, and stopped trying since thankgiving. Every morning I \tell myself I will tart again, but dont... co the pain i too real
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No. I felt a lot better after I lost almost 50lbs by eating right and exercising but it wasn't until I started eating low carb all of the various aches and pains went away. I had three large bottles of Advil in my medicine cabinet before I caught on. I just kept buying the Advil out of habit and it took a few months before I realized I just didn't need the pain relievers any more.

A few weeks of over indulging in the carbs during the holidays every year confirms it's carbs for me -- specifically leg pains at night and back pain from standing too long come back even without any significant weight gain or change in exercise habits. Those pains go away within a week of reducing my carbs back down to normal.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes. One knee would get sore or week, then the opposite ankle, then the knee above the ankle, and rotate... Back pain came and went. Also had issues with pronation on both feet and being somewhat duckfooted.
    Between weight lifting and fixing my stride as I did more walking and cardio, all of those went away. Now it's general workout soreness.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At 349 pounds my feet, ankles, knees and back all ached and hurt almost all of the time. Now at 157# none of those bother me anymore.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I did and I didn't realize how much I had them until I lost the weight. None were huge pains but I had a bunch of little aches and pains and a lack of flexibility that was just not age appropriate. Now I have none of that.
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My shoulders and back hurt a lot plus I couldn't stand on my feet for long periods of time (I was a cashier/sales floor stocker during college). I also used to get really bad migraines/headaches almost every day. All of that went away when I started eating healthier, exercising, drinking more water and lost the 75 pounds or so that was weighing me down.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My lower back hurt if I stood/walked for any length of time (and that was a very short length of time) and my ankles used to swell and cause further pain. I'm 74lbs down (still have a long way to go) but my ankles no longer swell and the lower back pain is a very distant memory.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I had constant knee pain at a heavier weight. Now I just get knee pain when I overdue it, and from a different part of my knee.

It was actually my knee pain that led me to MFP - I'd always managed my weight with exercise, and when I told my sister that my knees were preventing me from exercising, she told me she'd used MFP to lose baby weight.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yep, and I was 29 years old. No Bueno.