Anyone trying to gain muscle and lose body fat.

13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Oh my gosh. It's getting worse.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    edited January 2016
    dbrook1967 wrote: »
    When you get to a certain point in weight loss and muscle gain it's like you hit a brick wall. The last bit of body fat will only come off if you (talking about me) are very disciplined. You have to go lean meat/protein, no sugar or fat, eat green veggies and good carbs. You need to cycle carbs out on off days. And you have to get enough nutrition to stay full and gain or not lose muscle. A lot of chicken, lean beef, white fish, egg whites, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes, long grain rice and no cheats, no processed foods.
    On the flip side you need calories and carbs to build muscle.
    And High Intensity Interval Training is what a lot of the experts are talking about in training. Say a 30 second sprint and a 30 second walk and repeat 30 times. Many options here as long as it's high intensity followed by some low intensity. Mix it up with some steady state cardio as well.

I eat cookies, candy, pie, cake and ice cream all the way up until my bodybuilding competitions. It gets harder to fit them in as my calories get lower because I need to fill most of the calories with nutrient dense and filling things. You don't need carb cycling or a bro diet to lose weight, even at the leaner end of the spectrum. You don't even need cardio for fat loss, but it's great for cardiovascular health.

If you enjoy doing all those things then that's fine. It's just not absolutely necessary for fat loss goals.
  • HeathCothren51
    HeathCothren51 Posts: 34 Member
    Yea and no I disagree. I think it comes down to the individual. There is no evidence pointing in your way either. I know I am lowering my body fat % and increasing muscle. I am working with two guys who have been bodybuilding for 15 plus years both are in the 225lb mark and compete with sponsors if they say it can be done and its working for me. Then I will stay with it. Maybe some people can't I lifted with a guy years ago who just had a really hard time gaining muscle. Then again I know people who its comes very easy to them. This subject I have done my research on. Truth is there is no evidence either way. Bottom line is some can some cant.
  • usmcmp
    Yea and no I disagree. I think it comes down to the individual. There is no evidence pointing in your way either. I know I am lowering my body fat % and increasing muscle. I am working with two guys who have been bodybuilding for 15 plus years both are in the 225lb mark and compete with sponsors if they say it can be done and its working for me. Then I will stay with it. Maybe some people can't I lifted with a guy years ago who just had a really hard time gaining muscle. Then again I know people who its comes very easy to them. This subject I have done my research on. Truth is there is no evidence either way. Bottom line is some can some cant.

There is evidence. I keep saying it's not impossible. You started out in two of the categories that are proven to be able to gain muscle in a deficit. You probably gained some. Those types of gains aren't going to continue forever. You will reach a point where they slow down significantly, especially since you are going to continue trying to lose weight at a very rapid pace.
  • HeathCothren51
    HeathCothren51 Posts: 34 Member
    Lol getting confused on what we are debating so many msg out. I am disagreeing with the fact that you can't burn fat and gain muscle over a course if time.
  • usmcmp
    Lol getting confused on what we are debating so many msg out. I am disagreeing with the fact that you can't burn fat and gain muscle over a course if time.

1. Obese people can lose fat and build muscle.
    2. Beginning lifters can lose fat and build muscle.
    3. People returning to lifting can lose fat and build muscle.
    4. Your body can only use a specific amount of body fat to fill its needs, if you aren't eating enough your body HAS to use your muscle to fill its needs.
    5. At a certain point in training and leanness your ability to lose fat and gain muscle nearly stops, unless you take steroids (which is what most bodybuilders do).