Getting a healthy weight

Options
Hey everyone! I've always been a little on the wrong side of too thin, but then I lost a lot of weight last year as a combination of stress and terrible eating habits. Reaching the recommended amount of calories a day is a lot harder than I thought it'd be, and trying to go to friends for support in gaining weight always makes me feel like they hate me a little bit. So I guess I'm looking for people in a similar situation so we can cheer each other on. Just want to walk around without my pants falling down!

Replies

• AliMalek21
    AliMalek21 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My Advice to you Just EAT and you will be good
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    m0wheels wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I've always been a little on the wrong side of too thin, but then I lost a lot of weight last year as a combination of stress and terrible eating habits. Reaching the recommended amount of calories a day is a lot harder than I thought it'd be, and trying to go to friends for support in gaining weight always makes me feel like they hate me a little bit. So I guess I'm looking for people in a similar situation so we can cheer each other on. Just want to walk around without my pants falling down!

I'm not in the same situation as you, but I just wanted to ask if there is any particular stumbling block that is making it difficult for you to eat the recommended calories per day? Is it an emotional issue where you have issues with food (perhaps fear of gaining, perhaps control issues, etc) or is it a physical issue (get full too fast, etc) because that will have a huge impact on the advice you need.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    AliMalek21 wrote: »
    My Advice to you Just EAT and you will be good

That can be easier said than done.

@m0wheels Look for calorie dense foods, I'm sure there is a list here on the forum, sorry I'm not sure where exactly it is. My favourites are pistachio nuts and whole milk for boosting up the calorie count.

If you gradually increase your portions you'll slowly be able to handle more food. It takes time and sometimes you need to force the issue a bit. :smile:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your quest to gain. Are you finding it difficult psychologically, physically or both to eat enough?
  • m0wheels
    m0wheels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It really is just a physical issue. I just don't have much of an appetite and I don't find food appetizing. So it's just having to force myself to eat a lot more than I want to. Almonds sound like a good snack food I can carry around with me and eat throughout the day though. I'll try those!
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Doing some physical activity will help increase your appetite. Some weightlifting would be ideal.
  • m0wheels
    m0wheels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's not quite weightlifting, but I am taking a dance class!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

If you're struggling to gain, you'd be better off with strength training than cardio o:)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

You'll have to up your calories about 400 or so to compensate I would imagine.
  • 06cirlam
    06cirlam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue and I'm now at a healthy weight after having gained a stone a year for two years. Your appetite can gradually change. A lot of things I did was trying the reverse of weight loss techniques eg. for weight loss you can eat mindfully, where you think a lot about what you're eating. So instead, I often ate my tea in front of the tv as a distraction. I found this helpful as I'm a very slow eater which was a huge part of my problem so I got bored less easily. Also, high kcal healthy snacks like bananas, dried fruits and nuts are good for on the go. Adding calorie dense ingredients like cheese, full fat milk, cream to meals helps add calories. Also, try to have some fixed meals/ snacks you have each day and gradually build on these as your appetite grows. For example, I have a large hot chocolate with whole milk each night which amounts to 360kcal. Also, if I ever couldn't choose between snacks when in the shops or meals when eating out, if they displayed the kcal, I'd pick the higher one. Every little helps. Good luck!
  • princenegi106
    princenegi106 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got the same problem...I am looking for a diet to gain 2 pound per two weeks