Recovering from a massive cheat weekend.

2»

Replies

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Water and clean, whole foods for the next few days - no red meat, lots of leafy greens, green tea, etc. You'll be fine in a few days :)
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2016
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Warning: feeling cranky. So many people here like to say they can cheat, eat what they want, have fun, not give up anything. Then when they see the results, such as this, there is panic and stress. Yes, everyone can make whatever choices they want and newbies need to learn. But I get tired of reading the fallout. That's why I prefer to eat in moderation at all times, pass up certain foods, and adopt habits that will serve me well long term. Bingeing and massive overeating do not merge those criertia. If they meet yours, fine. Rant off.

You realize when people say they "eat what they want" and don't "give up anything," they aren't recommending two days of eating unlimited quantities of whatever they want, right? You can include the foods you like in your diet without eating them in unlimited quantities.

OP was following your plan: trying to totally eliminating certain foods (notice she hadn't had them for months). Maybe that is what caused the issue. Not saying that it can't work for certain people. But maybe if she'd allowed herself a slice of cake sometimes, she wouldn't have to worry about binges.

Lol wow, people really are cranky.

I've lost weight by cutting out most sugars and starches. Sticking to lean meats, vegetables, and fruits. I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. That's quite the difference from a year ago at 5'10 and 250lbs. I think what I'm doing has worked considering I'm finally getting abs. I messed up, big *kitten* deal. My question was how to recover, not can you judge me and randomly rant on my post. If you don't have any advice don't bother even talking. Good grief.

Thank you, though. And not adressing you personally, more lorpb, bc she came off as a cranky woman with a stick up her
  • angkay1
    angkay1 Posts: 1 Member
    I did the same thing...chicken salad wrap, mussels, steak, tater tots, krispy kreme and Chinese...after losing 7 lbs in one week busting *kitten*...I'm so ashamed
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    It's not all actual weight you gained, it's mostly water like people said. There are some foods which help removing that water faster, like pineapple and strawberries. Don't forget drinking, try those foods and subtract those calories you ate on several weeks so it's easier for you :smile:
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2016
    angkay1 wrote: »
    I did the same thing...chicken salad wrap, mussels, steak, tater tots, krispy kreme and Chinese...after losing 7 lbs in one week busting *kitten*...I'm so ashamed

You aren't alone. Maybe we should eat that *kitten* in moderation so we don't crave it. ;)
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    It's pretty much impossible to gain 9 pounds of fat in 2 days. Continue as normal and it will come off, it's majority water and bloating. Over-restricting after a binge can lead to binge and restriction cycles.
  • Forgive yourself. Then get back on track.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Warning: feeling cranky. So many people here like to say they can cheat, eat what they want, have fun, not give up anything. Then when they see the results, such as this, there is panic and stress. Yes, everyone can make whatever choices they want and newbies need to learn. But I get tired of reading the fallout. That's why I prefer to eat in moderation at all times, pass up certain foods, and adopt habits that will serve me well long term. Bingeing and massive overeating do not merge those criertia. If they meet yours, fine. Rant off.

You realize when people say they "eat what they want" and don't "give up anything," they aren't recommending two days of eating unlimited quantities of whatever they want, right? You can include the foods you like in your diet without eating them in unlimited quantities.

OP was following your plan: trying to totally eliminating certain foods (notice she hadn't had them for months). Maybe that is what caused the issue. Not saying that it can't work for certain people. But maybe if she'd allowed herself a slice of cake sometimes, she wouldn't have to worry about binges.

I've lost weight by cutting out most sugars and starches. Sticking to lean meats, vegetables, and fruits. I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. That's quite the difference from a year ago at 5'10 and 250lbs. I think what I'm doing has worked considering I'm finally getting abs. I messed up, big *kitten* deal. My question was how to recover, not can you judge me and randomly rant on my post. If you don't have any advice don't bother even talking. Good grief.

Thank you, though. And not adressing you personally, more lorpb, bc she came off as a cranky woman with a stick up her

It sounds like you're making excellent progress and doing wonderfully. You didn't mess up at all, you just had a fun weekend. When I went home for Christmas, I ate ALL my favorite foods and "gained" about seven pounds. Got back on plan, exercised like normal, drank water . . . and it all came off. I bet the same thing will happen for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2016

That's the thing though... if you end up binging too much because you're feeling deprived, that's just not going to work long term. Losing weight is easy enough, maintaining the loss is another matter... you have to find something that is sustainable FOR YOU. If you ended up binging on 12000 calories in a week end, it probably means that your 'lean meats, veggies and fruit' diet is not sustainable long term.

I'm not judging, by the way, but speaking from experience after doing exactly the same thing and eating probably 1000 calories of chocolate when my sister brought me a box after I avoided chocolate for 6 months. So yeah... not exactly sustainable if that's what happens every time someone gives me a box of chocolate. Or my last birthday when I ended up eating everything I had been craving for months in one day... I've since changed the way I eat and if I crave something, I make room for it - that's how on my last 'I don't care how much I'm eating' day I ended up barely over because there just wasn't anything I was still craving that much and I was satisfied with my normal maintenance calories. Another example - Christmas last year... 4500 calories for 2 days. This year I was happy and content with 3000 (still decided to enjoy myself, obviously).

I mean, the key is sustainability. You got to find a way of eating that you're comfortable with without ending up feeling that you 'messed up' every time you have a treat and without ending up eating 12000 calories of stuff because you love them. Life is too short to deprive yourself. You can still get abs while having a slice of pizza or cake once in a while.

ETA: I do have very bad days but that's PMS-related.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »

I don't understand this. I eat what I want and didn't give up anything (except drink calories). But that doesn't mean I stuff my face with all of it in a week end either. I do it in moderation and not all at the same time... So I don't see what 'fallout' you're talking about because it's definitely possible to eat what you want in moderation without gaining 9 pounds (or even 1).

The "fallout" I was referring to is all the folks who get on here and complain about weight gain when they go off their plan. The problem I see with posters saying you can eat what you want, although I understand perfectly what is meant, is I think newbies can easily misinterpret it.

I did not say anyone should deny themselves a piece of cake, or that I denied myself cake.

67388953.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

I don't understand this. I eat what I want and didn't give up anything (except drink calories). But that doesn't mean I stuff my face with all of it in a week end either. I do it in moderation and not all at the same time... So I don't see what 'fallout' you're talking about because it's definitely possible to eat what you want in moderation without gaining 9 pounds (or even 1).

The "fallout" I was referring to is all the folks who get on here and complain about weight gain when they go off their plan. The problem I see with posters saying you can eat what you want, although I understand perfectly what is meant, is I think newbies can easily misinterpret it.

I did not say anyone should deny themselves a piece of cake, or that I denied myself.

So you don't pass up certain foods?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    9 pounds in 2 days; help. To fast or not? Well, log it and move on. If you enjoyed the foods you consumed can you find a way to incorporate them throughout a week? It sounds like you've made great progress and the weekend isn't a big deal. Move on. Good luck.
  • crodriguez0223
    crodriguez0223 Posts: 6 Member
    Okay soooo, plain and simple, I had two massive cheat days this weekend. Pizza, cake, bacon, and everything that I basically haven't been eating for a couple of months. I gained 9lbs in 2 days, no joke.
    It kinda feels like the end of the world right now. How do I recover from this? A *kitten* ton of water? Fast for a day?
    Help.

All you have to do is get back on your program. I did the same thing and gained 10 pounds back and lost it back in 3 days.