Appetite suppresants-Which do you recommend?

Options
13»

Replies

• ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    coffee
    diet coke
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    meet and exceed your Protein requirement every single day. After a couple days, if it works, you won't feel so hungry overall....(unless you're starving yourself, then it probably won't work)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I spent some time the other day researching natural appetite suppression. I didn't want to take some pill - trying to keep eating clean. Some of the recommendations included: almonds, avacados, green tea, water, and apples. I have found almonds really work for me. I take 1/4 cup of roasted almonds to work and eat them in the afternoon when my willpower is the lowest (probably insulin levels are low). They really do help! Instead of coming home and eating junk, I get out and do my walk, then workout. By then it's dinner time and I've made it without blowing my calorie intake beforehand.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Here is what works for me:

3-4 egg whites

or

2 tablespoons natural peanut butter - no sugar added

or

1 apple - Very very underrated!

or

2-3 oz of fish or chicken

and... the "TOP" exercise suppresant...

Eating Enough Calories

I am reducing my bodyfat by eating 2000 calories per day (TDEE method) - which means I have energy to work out!

My goal is to be fit with a great bodyfat % - I am not going for some random number on the scale!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am going to take some time, maybe waste some breath and tell my story.

I had a bet with myself before I scrolled the page that you would end up back at 300lbs having had a heart attack or something similar...
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and water....the all natural ones.

^what she said. I eat a ton of steamed broccolli with some olive oil. Cheap, and fills the void. Or raw cucumber slices.

Green tea (unsweetened) also helps.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Food.

Beat me to it!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Pills don't work. Drink lots of water and eat nutrient rich food. If you eat empty calories, your body will keep on begging for food because it's not getting all the nutrients it needs. If you do that already but have a real appetite problem, then I suggest eating more protein because it takes more work to digest and coffee - caffeine is a natural appetite suppressant.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Legit question: what does an appetite suppressant teach you about eating?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I couldn't agree more with this question. This is why I lost 30 pounds on weight watchers and promptly found it again. Because I learned nothing about eating right. So I just went right back to where I started, and added some more pounds for good measure. I know so much more about food now than ever. I make informed choices (and they aren't always the best choices but I know what I'm doing and not just flying blind). When I know what I should be eating, it's a lot easier to pass on something I know is outside what's in my best interest.

For me, I have figured out that I crave what I eat. Eating junk begats a desire to eat more junk. Now, that doesn't mean I've gone on some deprivation diet that's unsusatainable. It just means that I eat properly on more days than not, and occasionally enjoy foods that are outside my general eating plan. If I want it, I eat it. Since I know I can have it any time I want, it's easy to avoid it most of the time. Because it's a choice. Not being deprived.

There is no shortcut to weight loss. I've tried them all, short of surgery (which I don't actually see as a shortcut because the basic premise I operate under of "eating less and moving more" still applies even with surgery). Nothing has been sustainable until I changed my lifestyle and quit calling it a "diet".

If you do decide to go the prescription route, might I suggest you do it for 30 days at most as a kick start while you start figuring out a healthier eating lifestyle. Just know that when you quit, it's all you. Your choices. Your lifestyle.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Back in the 1990's, when I was a teenager, my family doctor put me on fen-phen. I lost 90 lbs in about 6 months. Losing weight that quickly is pretty bad for your body, which I had to find out the hard way. I, like another poster on this thread with a similar story, ended up with gall bladder disease that wouldn't be diagnosed for another decade. My hormones became all screwed up. My period stopped now that I was at a "normal weight". They took me off the pill when my weight plateaued. (I am 5'8" and started the journey as a 220 lbs fifteen year old. I was now a 130 lbs sixteen year old.) They took me off the pills and my weight slowly began to creep back. I began obsessively counting calories, only consuming about 1200 a day while exercising for hours on end. I got a job at a local gym just so I could work out for free. I rode my bike everywhere until I was 22, averaging about 5 -10 miles of biking up and down hills every day. I was still gaining weight. Some people make fun of me on MFP when I retell this story and relate the fact that the weight started to come back on even though I was meticulously tracking calories and working out compulsively. (Others of you will know the issue right away. I was basically starving myself under the guise of healthy habits.) I believe whole heartedly that those pills do more than suppress appetite. They do a real number on your metabolism and without them your body starts crying out for food. The specter of food haunts your every thought, waking and asleep. I tried to fill that void with exercise and ended up giving myself a weird eating disorder. I thought I was being healthy, but, quite frankly, I wasn't eating enough to sustain all the exercise I was doing and ended up losing that battle in the end. Within seven years I had found that lost 90 lbs and 30 more to go with it. I think that the rapid, artificial weight loss from those damned pills laid the foundations for the metabolic syndrome that made the weight pour back on once I stopped working out 3+ hours a day. Now I have that to deal with, too. I am 100% convinced that I would not be in this boat if someone in my family would have just made the decision to make healthier food and walk with us as kids once in a while. Instead, the SAD made me a chubby little kid in a chubby little family and then some dipsh*t doctor put my mother and I on a deadly f'ing diet pill combo. So, buyer beware. These drugs are almost all stimulants and they are all bad for your heart. (That includes megadoses of caffeine.)

Here are some things I learned on my journey and some things I still struggle with:

- Quick fixes can be REALLY bad for you and potentially screw up your body in ways you never knew possible.

- Doctors work for pharmaceutical companies and insurers. They are quick to adopt solutions that may not be vetted very well. This experience taught me the importance of asking a lot of really annoying - but important - questions about any medication suggested before I take it now. Don't let the authority of the doctor replace your common sense. Look up the research for said treatments on Google Scholar. Advocate for your own health because, unfortunately, doctors don't always know what the hell they're talking about (important lesson!)

- Water is a terrible appetite suppressant, IMHO. I mean, by all means give it a go. If it works for you - awesome. There is not one-size-fits-all when it comes to this stuff. Here's my reasoning: I eat more when I drink with my meals. I think part of this is because I struggle with eating too quickly.When you drink with your meals you don't have to slow down and chew as much. It's the same reason speed eaters dunk their hot dogs in the stuff before sliding it down their gullets. It should come as no surprise that a lot of chronically overweight people (like myself) drink a LOT of water. I'm a singer, so I drink almost a gallon a day! It doesn't have any effect on my appetite. (And, FTR: I don't drink soda very often at all and when I do, it's diet. When I say water - I mean WATER.) In fact, people who've had gastric bypass and other WLS are instructed not to drink fluids with their meals. The reason isn't just a matter of room in their new pouches. Your stomach turns things into a fluid-like slurry that it then empties into your intestines. It won't do this until everything is liquified. So, liquids spend much less time in the stomach than food. Drinking too much water may cause your stomach to empty itself too early in the process, resulting in partially digested food, and enhanced hunger for some people due to vitamin malabsorption. (But this, like all areas of metabolic science, are woefully under-researched, which is why I figure you might as well try it and see if it works for you.)

- Protein is your friend, especially if you plan to exercise.

- FAT is your friend. Delicious, healthy fats will keep you full as long as you pair it up with some veggies or protein source. My fav is coconut oil. It's great for your skin and hair, too.

- Exercise is actually a pretty bad appetite suppressant, IMHO. I am usually MORE hungry when I work out regularly. The research backs this up, as well. (For any one who cries out for sources, this one springs to mind but there are many others: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html) This is why it is so important to make sure your macros are right for your body and what you want to do. Make sure you are getting enough protein for the kind of exercise you're doing to avoid hunger pangs.

- Fiber is great, but try to get it from vegetables and not grains. Avoid carbs when you can, especially if you have any type of insulin resistance. I still eat beans, but bread is a treat to me, not a staple of my diet. You will be full much, much longer going this route because you will have to eat a lot more veg to get the same amount of fiber found in fiber-fortified bread products. Stuff like Fiber One bars, for example, have 9 grams of fiber but are full of sugar. You would have to eat about 2.5 servings of broccoli for the same amount of fiber, which as you can see, is much more food by volume. ;)

- More vegetable matter, in general, will be super helpful in suppressing appetite. I am an ex-vegetarian, so I do eat animal proteins now. That doesn't mean that I don't love veggies. In fact, I've never met a veg I didn't like. :)

- If you do decide to use caffeine as an appetite suppressant, make sure you drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Caffeine is a diuretic.

- Most importantly: Make sure whatever you do is something you can stick to. The reason why a lot of diet plans fail is because people only do them for a short period of time, either because they're wacky and unsustainable or because the person didn't intend to make a lasting habitual change. This is the one I struggle with the most.

Ok. Well, I hope that's been helpful to you. Good luck to you on your journey and welcome to FMP.