Sticking to it but GAINING!

Options

Replies

• xsophieanne
    xsophieanne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ... WOW. I can't even join a weightloss community without someone trying to bully me off the site lol! Sorry, not sorry :D. You're all around 40 years old, grow up already!!!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ... WOW. I can't even join a weightloss community without someone trying to bully me off the site lol! Sorry, not sorry :D. You're all around 40 years old, grow up already!!!

I'm 21 :/ The people who replied to you probably just don't want you giving the OP incorrect advice.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    This is suggested a lot on this site to questions like this, so you have probably seen it before if you spend much time in the forums, but how are you calculating your exercise calories? Most machines over-estimate, because they don't have your stats(like 2 people of different sizes and ages could do that exercise and burn differently, but the machine does't account for this).

If you're eating back more calories than you're burning, it could skew things.

I'm using MFP to calculate my calories burned. I've heard the machines can offer skewed numbers.

MFP also has skewed numbers. Heart rate monitor or fitbit. MFP told me I was burning 250 cals in my 1.5 hour yoga session - it was really only about 120.
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the last 3 weeks, I have been sticking to the numbers, going to the gym every day, eating off the calories, I've taken things to help my digestive system stay on track, I'm drinking my water and yet, I have GAINED weight! I eat a low salt diet and I just keep getting bigger. Does anyone have any ideas on ways in which I can kickstart things? I'm doing a sponsored slim for a local canine charity and I NEED to lose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried not eating all of your burned calories back? What works for me may not work for you but I typically eat only half of the calories burned back.
  • xsophieanne
    xsophieanne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didn't give any advice. I said are you sure your not gaining muscle. That's not giving advice that's asking a question and stating my own experiences.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you sure you're not gaining muscle? i don't know about normal women but i gain muscle really easily, even just walking up my street (granted it takes 10 minutes to walk up and its a very very steep hill) every day made me gain muscle pmsl

your post also made me pmsl.

btw, pmsl is quite possibly the worst of the internet jargon acronyms.

Yep!
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    This is suggested a lot on this site to questions like this, so you have probably seen it before if you spend much time in the forums, but how are you calculating your exercise calories? Most machines over-estimate, because they don't have your stats(like 2 people of different sizes and ages could do that exercise and burn differently, but the machine does't account for this).

If you're eating back more calories than you're burning, it could skew things.

I'm using MFP to calculate my calories burned. I've heard the machines can offer skewed numbers.

MFP also has skewed numbers. Heart rate monitor or fitbit. MFP told me I was burning 250 cals in my 1.5 hour yoga session - it was really only about 120.

I agree. Love my fitbit. If you don't want to spend money on a gadget maybe just eat half of them back for a month or so and see if you start losing again =] worked for me.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

correcting misinformation does not equal bullying
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

QFT
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try this for a week....

1. Retake the MFP Guided Goals and see if your current weight requires less calories.
    2. Don't eat your workout calories.
    3. Choose food with a higher fiber content.
    4. Know that MFP works and sometimes the body changes shape even though the scale doesn't reflect it. :)
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    I didn't give any advice. I said are you sure your not gaining muscle. That's not giving advice that's asking a question and stating my own experiences.

If she then started chalking up weight gain to muscle gain based on a false example, that could do her more harm than good.

EDIT: when I got a cast off my leg and had atrophied muscles from it, normal activity made it eventually match my other leg again. So it is possible for minimal activity such as a 10 minute walk to cause muscle gain. Were your legs atrophied from a recent injury?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Wait, what? Interest in support for your claims = bullying?

Honestly, I think throwing that word around in ways that it is entirely inapplicable is an insult to those who have truly suffered bullying. What you have encountered is making a bold statement to a general audience where the general consensus is disbelief. This is not bullying.

Now, depending on what support you have for your outlandish claim, we will see whether *you* are telling the truth (which honestly, I hope you are because I would be fascinated to meet someone who is capable of doing what you claim to have done) or guilty of a misstatement, hyperbole, or just an outright lie.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try this for a week....

1. Retake the MFP Guided Goals and see if your current weight requires less calories.
    4. Know that MFP works and sometimes the body changes shape even though the scale doesn't reflect it. :)

Good advice -- though I like to eat back most of my exercise cals I also know and can attest that my best weight loss is when I do not.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

QFT

Quoting just because, well...QFT again.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

this is very important.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Sooo....correcting misinformation is bullying?

You don't just accidentally build muscle...there's a lot of actual science behind it...part of which requires you to eat at a surplus. What you're most likely experiencing is shedding some fat and exposing the muscle that has always been there. You scientifically and mathematically cannot build muscle while eating a deficit of calories (i.e. dieting). To allow that kind of advice to stand takes the focus away from what the actual root of the problem is.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try this for a week....

Good advice -- though I like to eat back most of my exercise cals I also know and can attest that my best weight loss is when I do not.

There are days I HAVE to do some activity to get back into range, but a week to adjust doesn't hurt...other's mileage may vary.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    post as same!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP, it takes playing with the #s sometimes. I have a HRM and I make sure to take -30% from the # given to try to account for inaccuracies. Remember that MFP can't give you exact burn amounts because they aren't there to know how much effort you actually put in. The calculations are estimates. So maybe invest in am HRM, take off -30% and use that. A

Also invest in a good scale to better get more exact figures on how much you are eating.

Double check your TDEE at -20% and give it about a month. After, make changes as needed - like raising your cals or lowering them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know whether or not you use a food scale.

And I also feel that you should probably eat back half of your exercise calories to correct for MFP's tendency toward inaccuracy.

Oh and the HCG thing is likely. I know a lot of people whose metabolisms ended up seriously messed up because of that damned diet.