MILK...

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% milk. I bought almond milk once, since I thought it was "healthier." Well, that's what I heard (and read in some comments here).

Well, sure it had similar calcium (it was fortified), but virtually no protein. And it tasted horrible to me (even though it was the sweetened kind), and didn't have the "mouth feel" that I am used to. So, I drink 2%. It's familiar, and readily available, and has a nutritional and flavor profile that's right for me.

I stop short of saying cow milk is healthier, because that falls under the same falsity of claiming a single thing is "healthy" without context. I say it's a good fit for my goal of an overall healthy diet. Everyone has to decide for themselves.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Soy milk has decent protein but little calcium. Almond milk has decent calcium but little protein. Dairy milk is a good source of both. Commercial milk also has Vit A and D added. As well, dairy is usually cheaper.

Of course, you can always get almond and soy milk fortified but I would guess that adds to the cost.

So, unless you're lactose intolerant or have ethical concerns about dairy, I'd say go for dairy.

In the US, at least, soy milk is usually fortified with calcium. The cost difference, if any, isn't significant.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    We're also the only species who know how to use various refrigeration methods in order to keep milk fresh. That may be part of the reason why lemurs, goats, bobcats, capybara, etc. do not milk other species and drink their milk.

Milk is meant for baby animals. Kittens drink their mothers milk, puppies drink their mothers milk (Yes I know sometimes baby animals drink the milk of another animal if their mother has died but they are still baby animals) and baby cows drink their mothers milk. I bet most of you would not drink milk directly from the udder of a cow. People are meant to drink our mothers milk. Once we wean, we don't drink milk anymore. It's just odd that it is abnormal for say a 16 year old to drink pumped breastmilk but completely normal for him to drink a cows milk.

The dairy industry says otherwise.

Like it or not, drinking animal milk is completely normal for many cultures. Not all, but many. No matter how many Youtube videos you post claiming the contrary, that is a fact. Now do we need animal milk in our diets? Nope. Not any more than we need coffee or chocolate or steak or olives or tangerines or any other food item. But people are going to keep on eating/drinking those just like they will eat/drink milk and milk products because they are tasty and convenient.

Of course they would lol, how much money do they stand to make?
    I'm actually not arguing that. It has become normal, which if you really think about it makes no sense because like I said, how many will actually drink the milk directly from a cow? Nobody needs cows milk past infancy so it makes no sense to keep drinking it except that we have been brainwashed into believing we do need it and that it's healthy when it turns out it's not.
    But that's as much as I will debate. If you don't agree with me that's fine, and for anyone who wants to learn more about how unhealthy dairy is for you, it's not hard to find that kind of information.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've always drunk a lot of cow's milk. Probably saved me from malnutrition when I was growing up as I was a horrible picky eater who didn't like meat or most vegetables!

• janejellyroll
    Options
    We're also the only species who know how to use various refrigeration methods in order to keep milk fresh. That may be part of the reason why lemurs, goats, bobcats, capybara, etc. do not milk other species and drink their milk.

Milk is meant for baby animals. Kittens drink their mothers milk, puppies drink their mothers milk (Yes I know sometimes baby animals drink the milk of another animal if their mother has died but they are still baby animals) and baby cows drink their mothers milk. I bet most of you would not drink milk directly from the udder of a cow. People are meant to drink our mothers milk. Once we wean, we don't drink milk anymore. It's just odd that it is abnormal for say a 16 year old to drink pumped breastmilk but completely normal for him to drink a cows milk.

Like it or not, drinking animal milk is completely normal for many cultures. Not all, but many. No matter how many Youtube videos you post claiming the contrary, that is a fact. Now do we need animal milk in our diets? Nope. Not any more than we need coffee or chocolate or steak or olives or tangerines or any other food item. But people are going to keep on eating/drinking those just like they will eat/drink milk and milk products because they are tasty and convenient.

I'm actually not arguing that. It has become normal, which if you really think about it makes no sense because like I said, how many will actually drink the milk directly from a cow? Nobody needs cows milk past infancy so it makes no sense to keep drinking it except that we have been brainwashed into believing we do need it and that it's healthy when it turns out it's not.
    But that's as much as I will debate. If you don't agree with me that's fine, and for anyone who wants to learn more about how unhealthy dairy is for you, it's not hard to find that kind of information.

I don't drink milk from animals, but if we limited our consumption to things that we needed, we wouldn't be eating very much at all.

Saying we don't need it doesn't equal that we shouldn't have it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get that response but it makes no sense. Cows milk is made by cows FOR baby cows. Almond milk is not made by almonds for almonds. Its made for people. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species and it makes no sense.

so you purposely posted to pick a fight?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I made a table comparing milks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAzjWFHRPPZNJNm_rfNZqfUbLyMm-obA-aadT7kydk/edit#gid=0

Choosing the milk for you all depends on what you are looking for. Though the nut milks are often higher in calcium than dairy milk, they also have less protein. Coconut and heavy cream are the big calorie winners.

As for those who would post grossness videos trying to show that regular milk is you, know, disgusting, I won't bother arguing with them.

Call me old fashioned, but I trust our food safety system.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

My point is that if need were the basis on which we all based our dietary habits, our diets would be far more restricted than they are today. It doesn't matter if we need to eat or drink anything so what is your point? What is the purpose in stating, over and over, that people don't need cow's milk, and yet not going on to list everything else that we don't need?
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To me... milk is like gluten. If it doesn't bother you then it is a good source of protein and nutrients. If it does bother you, find an alternative.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk or almond milk. I stopped using cow's milk because I became concerned with the use of antibiotics and hormones in animals like cows after a couple of courses I took as part of my degree including nutrition and microbiology. I am not a scientist and I haven't done studies but I felt that it wasn't work the risk and switched. As someone else said it depends on your criteria as the macro-nutrients vary in each.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't NEED milk per say, but I hate the taste of black tea and Almond milk et al tastes foul in tea, I've tried many times.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've drank 2% all my life... anything else just doesn't taste right. When I was pregnant with my first child I drank probably a gallon and a half a week (definitely too much) and I really think that is the reason my son was able to hold his head up so early and walked at 8 months... With my second child I still am drinking milk daily but not as much as this time around I am tracking my calories and trying to stay within reason. I also have added carnation instant breakfast to my milk instead of chocolate syrup, this way its a sweet treat and I am getting nutrients... (plus I bought a huge pack and my son says it tastes funny :( )

Fairlife is good though, lots of protein.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Are you also anti-yogurt, ice cream, cheese, sour cream, and butter? Or does this argument only apply to liquid milk?

• forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk or almond milk. I stopped using cow's milk because I became concerned with the use of antibiotics and hormones in animals like cows after a couple of courses I took as part of my degree including nutrition and microbiology. I am not a scientist and I haven't done studies but I felt that it wasn't work the risk and switched. As someone else said it depends on your criteria as the macro-nutrients vary in each.

In Canada, cows used for dairy are antibiotic and hormone free.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Are you also anti-yogurt, ice cream, cheese, sour cream, and butter? Or does this argument only apply to liquid milk?

She's vegan. Vegans avoid all dairy products, not just liquid milk.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

She's vegan. Vegans avoid all dairy products, not just liquid milk.

ah. the language in the rant makes sense now.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I knew I would get that response but it makes no sense. Cows milk is made by cows FOR baby cows. Almond milk is not made by almonds for almonds. Its made for people. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species and it makes no sense.

People do a lot of things that make no sense.

Like keeping pets. No sense. At all. Does that mean it doesn't have benefits and we shouldn't do it?

Nope! And that's just one example. Animals don't sit and stare at screens all day either. Does that mean we should stop?

How about the rubber tree? It grows so that it can grow and reproduce and do environmental things. Does that mean we should stop using it for rubber? I don't really want to get rid of my tires. Do you?

Just think of it this way. Humans are smarter than all the other animals on the planet (judging from the evidence of our communication skills, technology, etc). So maybe, if animals were as smart, they would see benefits to drinking milk longer.
  • alyurete
    alyurete Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fortified and unsweetened almond or coconut milk. Only 30-45 calories a glass, and a convenient source of vitamin D and calcium.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options

In Canada, cows used for dairy are antibiotic and hormone free.

That's fantastic. Sadly not true in the US.
  • robrsmith
    robrsmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink cow's milk to carry on an ancient legacy. 10,000 years ago or so, cow's milk was so important to the survival of one of my ancestors that he/she EVOLVED lactase persistence to tolerate it as an adult. He/she passed the lactase persistence gene on to his/her offspring and then proceeded to out-compete almost all other humans in Europe. To deny this would be to reject my position as grand champion of the species survival game.