Mental Illness Support

Options
2»

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this doesn't address my posting at all. Seems as though you read the title and then posted a reply without reading. I'm not asking for medical advice or even mentioning medication. I also purposefully wont disclose the mental issue so it's interesting to suggest a medication based on zero information.

I think @Bluwaves1 was simply suggesting that some mental health professionals may be more aware of or proactive about weight than others. I think that is a valid and valuable contribution to the tread.

OP, I don't think there is a forum, per say, to meet the specific needs you mentioned. And if there was (and it was not monitored by professionals), I would be worried about the dialog that may transpire. Here, on this diet forum, people propose and endorse dangerous practices and absolute silliness (for instance, the above post on yoga...). The theoretical stakes are so much higher with regard to mental health. It can quite literally be a life-or-death thing.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand the struggle, even if mine might be different from yours. I think of it as that a great deal of my considerable internal fortitude is wrapped up in just staying alive, just breathing and getting up and going to bed and eating (anything). When I don't have the resources to do what apparently is supposed to be not that hard, whether it's brushing my teeth before bed or dieting or whatever, I remember that I'm engaged in a battle for my life every moment of every day, and that is where my energy went. (Incidentally, I use that when I wonder why I'm not further along in life as well.)

I guess without knowing what your particular struggle is and without being asked for specific advice, I would just say that as hard as it is, the best thing, the only thing, that ever worked for me was asking for help. I still fight it, it's hard to this very day, and sometimes you get *kitten* advice or treated badly, but for the most part even people who care and who've noticed there's a problem can't or won't help if they aren't given an opportunity. Everything that ever did make my life better started by me reaching out, which sucks when you can't or don't know who to reach out to, but still, it's the best thing I've found.

The only other thing I would say is I personally think mental health is more important than dieting, losing weight or exercising. If I really have to choose, I would pick feeling like I do now (which is still not wonderful) over looking beautiful or living healthy for a long time - or both - because feeling like I did would make beauty and health irrelevant. Literally irrelevant - I would die rather than live like that long term. So my personal view is that if dieting or counting calories or whatever is bad for your mental health, stop the diet. It'll always be here. It waited 15 years for me (maybe 20, if we're talking about the first time I felt fat) until I was in a place I could deal with it positively.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I bet anywhere you look will tell you to address the illness and the weight loss will follow and that's obviously where your frustration comes from.

Maybe Google has what you are looking for.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/2013/nih-study-shows-people-with-serious-mental-illnesses-can-lose-weight.shtml
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have issues with asking for advice with mental health as it relates to weight loss efforts?

I have misgivings about asking for advice in any detail mostly because I know no one here can actually help (due to not being psychology professionals or doctors).

But most of my barriers to successful weight loss are my mental health issues. So when weight loss problems go beyond what to eat and how to exercise, where do WE go for help?

Please keep in mind that many people simply cannot afford the potential years of therapy to "fix" these problems, yet still desire support. Is there a forum for this? Not here I know, but elsewhere? I have found mental health, and weight loss, but not a decent community that includes both.

First you need professional help. There is no way around it. Not necessarily therapy, therapy is not even the recommendation for all mental health issues. But you need at least a psychiatrist you can trust, so you need to figure out a way to make this happen.
    Since I do not know your exact situation, it is hard to post specific advice, but you can check https://www.nami.org/ and see if you can get help there, or check mental health support teams and groups in your area. Struggles with weight are common with several mental health issues, so if you become part of a group you will definitely find others who have been through the same.
  • aebigham
    aebigham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mental health is a big obstacle for me.... it has gotten easier with medicine and therapy though...
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey hun i understand how hard it is mentally to cope with life and weight loss. Is the logging an issue? I find it helps to just keep logging even if i'm too hungry to have a deficit that day. To be honest i sort of just eat how much i am hungry for and just log it. It is easier than forcing yourself to deprive yourself and try hit a exact number. If you keep logging onto myfitnesspal, this 'tool' almost becomes your partner in crime, your support. It's good to think of weight loss as a rest of your life sort of thing, i hope that doesn't sound scary.. but having a deadline for losing weight can worsen how you feel. I wouldn't cut out anything now that you don't plan on cutting out in future. If you want to have a life where you can enjoy the food you love, then let yourself have the food you love now, but log it, you will learn to trust your appetite and will not feel deprived. i know i majorly went off on a tangent, however i think you are fully capable of achieving anything you want if you stick your mind to it. Be gentle on yourself.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Does anyone else have issues with asking for advice with mental health as it relates to weight loss efforts?

I have misgivings about asking for advice in any detail mostly because I know no one here can actually help (due to not being psychology professionals or doctors).

But most of my barriers to successful weight loss are my mental health issues. So when weight loss problems go beyond what to eat and how to exercise, where do WE go for help?

Please keep in mind that many people simply cannot afford the potential years of therapy to "fix" these problems, yet still desire support. Is there a forum for this? Not here I know, but elsewhere? I have found mental health, and weight loss, but not a decent community that includes both.

First you need professional help. There is no way around it. Not necessarily therapy, therapy is not even the recommendation for all mental health issues. But you need at least a psychiatrist you can trust, so you need to figure out a way to make this happen.
    Since I do not know your exact situation, it is hard to post specific advice, but you can check https://www.nami.org/ and see if you can get help there, or check mental health support teams and groups in your area. Struggles with weight are common with several mental health issues, so if you become part of a group you will definitely find others who have been through the same.

Actually, for most mental illnesses I'd recommend you "at least have a therapist" before I'd recommend you "at least have a psychiatrist." For most illnesses, medication isn't a primary intervention but should be used as an intermediate intervention to help lessen the symptoms of mental illness while you work with a therapist to learn skills. Doing so can help many people eventually come off of their medications (though not always and should be done under supervision). Psychiatrists, thought trained in counseling, are notorious for focusing exclusively on pushing pills. Not all, but I've worked with a ton of psychiatrists and can tell you that medication is their primary concern. Mental illness can often be managed without medication, with less medication, or without long term medication use. (Again, NOT all and no one reading this should think that if they are on medication they should suddenly come off. THAT is dangerous.)
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer where to go without knowing your mental illness. Depression would need different treatment than PTSD or an addictive disorder. But, I think it is fair to say a therapist, LCSW, psychologist, psychiatrist would be a place you could go to get answers to your questions. When money is an issue, look into medical insurance from the state (for some illnesses), to churches or cathedrals, to doctors who bill on a sliding scale, to universities. Receiving some therapy may help with the illness, and also with the weight loss. Not sure if you meant that you couldn't afford the time or the money, but if it is the time you are speaking of then it may be worth it if your sanity is on the line.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer where to go without knowing your mental illness. Depression would need different treatment than PTSD or an addictive disorder. But, I think it is fair to say a therapist, LCSW, psychologist, psychiatrist would be a place you could go to get answers to your questions. When money is an issue, look into medical insurance from the state (for some illnesses), to churches or cathedrals, to doctors who bill on a sliding scale, to universities. Receiving some therapy may help with the illness, and also with the weight loss. Not sure if you meant that you couldn't afford the time or the money, but if it is the time you are speaking of then it may be worth it if your sanity is on the line.

It's the money unfortunately. But I'm seeing my doctor in the next week to see if he has any ideas that won't be as expensive as a therapist.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I'm not sure which state you are in but there are usually agencies and even private practitioners that will do sliding scale for financial difficulties. You may not feel you need or want a therapist but if you do, there are usually options that won't break the bank.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Actually, for most mental illnesses I'd recommend you "at least have a therapist" before I'd recommend you "at least have a psychiatrist." For most illnesses, medication isn't a primary intervention but should be used as an intermediate intervention to help lessen the symptoms of mental illness while you work with a therapist to learn skills. Doing so can help many people eventually come off of their medications (though not always and should be done under supervision). Psychiatrists, thought trained in counseling, are notorious for focusing exclusively on pushing pills. Not all, but I've worked with a ton of psychiatrists and can tell you that medication is their primary concern. Mental illness can often be managed without medication, with less medication, or without long term medication use. (Again, NOT all and no one reading this should think that if they are on medication they should suddenly come off. THAT is dangerous.)

Cosigned.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I think depression and anti-depression pills are the biggest reason of weight gain... The best way to deal with mental illness naturally is yoga.

I'm a yoga teacher and have been practicing for 20 years. I would never recommend yoga as the primary way to deal with my brother's mental illness.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've recently come off medication for the first time in 8 years and it's been tough, I understand where you're coming from though.

From my own experience, unhealthy eating and a lack of exercise only Worsen certain conditions.

• starbuckaddict
    starbuckaddict Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think depression and anti-depression pills are the biggest reason of weight gain... The best way to deal with mental illness naturally is yoga.

I'm a yoga teacher and have been practicing for 20 years. I would never recommend yoga as the primary way to deal with my brother's mental illness.

I do yoga (it's awesome.)

But I also see a therapist, psychiatrist, and doctor in order to help me maintain my mental clarity and deal with my mental illness. Sometimes you just need help. But it's worth it once you find a combination that helps you feel better.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes! Yoga can be a great support for people. It can be one part of an effective treatment for mental illness but to say that is all someone needs is at best over-simplistic and at worst dangerous.