New to Keto!

Good Morning!
After a couple of months with no weight loss from eating clean and going to personal training 3 times a week I have recently switched over to a Keto diet. I have lost 8 lbs in 4 days! I'm assuming my macros are set up correctly! I am at Protein (26%) Fat (67%) and Carbs (7%) my goal calories are at 1413 since that's what I calculated that I should be eating on a ketogenic calculator site. I am 5'4" and 216 lbs currently. I go to personal training 3 times a week, which consists of 2 days lifting for 45 minutes and one day of tabata type exercises for 30 minutes. Any advice? No goal weight in mind, no particular size, I have a June vacation and I just want to be able to take pictures on the beach with my daughter and not want to delete them!

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Good luck,

Sounds like you are on a great journey already.

Whats your daily meal plan like?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    On a keto diet you typically lose weight the first two weeks because water doesn't have enough carbs to grab on to then you will level off and not lose unless your in a calorie deficit.

I looked at your diet and your macro's were shockingly very good congrats.. My 2 cents get more active get on a bike or treadmill minimum five days a week and count your calories religiously!! Really pay attention to calories and stick to around 1500-1700- you will lose weight. Now Saturday you ate a steak at outback did you really not have a blooming onion?? If NOT that is serious will power.. congrats again..
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    I'm new to Keto myself. My numbers are Calories: 1770 (which I plan to drop to 1700 in a week or two), Carbs 5%, Protein 25% and Fat 70%. Sounds like we have very similar numbers as well. CW - 250 at 5'6. I have a goal weight in mind but am more concerned with NOT being a diabetic which runs in my family and the older I get, the more that number creeps up.
    I am currently working with my doctor with this diet and his suggestion, to me anyways, was not to stress about working out this month and just get used to the change in diet and focus on that. Next month, he wants me to start adding in exercise and see how I feel. However, you have a trainer so that's awesome!! Maybe he would have some advise as well?!
  • knucks32
    knucks32 Posts: 5 Member
    I just wanna add to drink TONS of water. It's like the golden rule of keto, once you think you've drank enough water, drink more.
    Another great resource is on reddit. Go to www.reddit.com/r/keto and there's a gold mine of information.
    Keto works amazingly well and I'd be happy to offer you any advice any time!
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    @Michael190lbs Haha, it was actually at a comedy club! They did have some amazing looking pretzel sticks that I turned down though and didn't drink anything the entire evening besides water! Thank you for your feedback!

@selina884 my food diary is open!
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Just checked out your food diary @KacieHetrick , and from what I can tell you're still pretty high in carbs, averaging around 50g of carbs a day. Which isn't terrible, but for a female a good goal is closer to 20g.

I saw you ate quite a few nuts, which does have some benefits, but too many carbs and calories involved to be indulged in too much. Get rid of those and I think you'll hit your carb goals easily!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Just checked out your food diary @KacieHetrick , and from what I can tell you're still pretty high in carbs, averaging around 50g of carbs a day. Which isn't terrible, but for a female a good goal is closer to 20g.

I saw you ate quite a few nuts, which does have some benefits, but too many carbs and calories involved to be indulged in too much. Get rid of those and I think you'll hit your carb goals easily!

Her net carbs look good to me.
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Nage3000 wrote: »

Her net carbs look good to me.

Thanks! So I'm good as long as I'm netting within the 20-30 range?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Good Morning!
    After a couple of months with no weight loss from eating clean and going to personal training 3 times a week I have recently switched over to a Keto diet. I have lost 8 lbs in 4 days! I'm assuming my macros are set up correctly! I am at Protein (26%) Fat (67%) and Carbs (7%) my goal calories are at 1413 since that's what I calculated that I should be eating on a ketogenic calculator site. I am 5'4" and 216 lbs currently. I go to personal training 3 times a week, which consists of 2 days lifting for 45 minutes and one day of tabata type exercises for 30 minutes. Any advice? No goal weight in mind, no particular size, I have a June vacation and I just want to be able to take pictures on the beach with my daughter and not want to delete them!

Congrats on your success so far. :)

Many keto'ers find that keeping net carbs at 20 g is low enough for ketosis. Others, like me, find we need to keep total carbs near 20g to stay in ketosis. Often people start low and add carbs back in but there is no right or wrong way to go about it.

If you use ketostix, keto blood or breath tests, you will get a better idea whether you are in ketosis or not.

If you join the Low Carber Daily group you will find many keto'ers to chat with about this.

My main advice would be to up your electrolytes. The water weight lost will increase your need for sodium, often up to 3000-5000 mg. potassium and magnesium needs often increase too.

Good luck!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you join the Low Carber Daily group you will find many keto'ers to chat with about this.

Here's the link to the group she's talking about:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Thank you. :)