Screw you Protein Bar!

Options
So, yea, I love them. They taste good, they have solid macros (the good ones do), they taste good, they are convenient, and...well...they taste good. The good news is they have nutrients in them, the bad is that they are very "dense" and the volume just ins't there.

I do understand that most, if not all, of us already know this but sometimes you accidentally re-learn something and it just makes you feel silly. This AM, I ate eggs, potato, and oatmeal which were ALMOST identical to the macros on my typical morning protein bar (which I eat with coffee). Imagine my surprise when it dawned on me that this plate of food was the "same" as that evil bar! Where nutritionally they may be mostly the same, the sheer volume of stuff in my face was significantly higher and prevented me from being as hungry as quickly as I normally would.

Yes, they do have a time/place, no I will not stop eating them, but I will need to make a more concerted effort to not take the easy way out.

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your "AHA!" moment!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think they're tasty and I especially like them when I'm travelling and don't have the ability to cook as much. . . . but the calorie density keeps me from eating them regularly. I just don't feel as full after having one as I would after less dense food.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    That's the thing I'm trying to get my husband to realize right now. He was seeing a nutritionist our doctor recommended, and she has him using protein bars and shakes as meal replacements. He complains that he's hungry all the time and feels deprived. "Look, the fish tacos I just made for dinner are the equivalent nutrition of your protein bar! Eat real food that matches the nutrients"... but he keeps coming back to what the nutritionist said, even after he fired her. (She was crazy and pretty stupid.)
    I only use the protein bars right before a swim to give me that extra carry-through, and sometimes I'll have an Ensure Protein shake after my long walk (4 miles) to get my 'boost' back.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had that moment after stocking up on Quest bars... and now they've been sitting in my pantry for months...
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Had this same realization 2 days ago. Only like them when traveling or on work breaks when time limited! Very much a volume eater. Add me!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have protein bars when I'm hiking (along with other treats) or when I'm out running around and get hungry but know I'll be eating a real meal in an hour or two. They only temporarily stop tummy growling for me so I could never be successful using them as a meal replacement.

Now I really want fish tacos for dinner. I have most the ingredients. ... B)
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a protein bar for breakfast in the car, but have moved to microwaveable low-cal breakfast sandwiches. I now eat a protein bar after work while heading to the gym. I have T2 diabetes, and if I don't eat something before I exercise, my blood sugar goes too low.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah I had that moment after stocking up on Quest bars... and now they've been sitting in my pantry for months...

Old or new formula? You should give them to Noreen. :p
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I just now ate one because I don't get to eat lunch today at work. After a heavier breakfast, it works for me. Quick and fewer calories than a bag of chips or candy bar with the added bonus of the protein.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but man....it's tough to get 20g protein and 13g of fiber under 200 calories, and easy and tastes good. Tough.

Oatmeal only has a few grams of fiber per serving, so does potato. And they come with a whole lotta starch. Maybe you can put the breakdown of what you ate in this thread? I'd be interested to see. Especially, I'd be interested in meals that would replace a quest bar for the same amount of calories....would be interesting. Maybe I'll start a thread ....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Old!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I guess I never found a bar that I liked enough. I'd much rather a plate of food too but definitely helps when on the go.
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    I agree with you, but man....it's tough to get 20g protein and 13g of fiber under 200 calories, and easy and tastes good. Tough.

Oatmeal only has a few grams of fiber per serving, so does potato. And they come with a whole lotta starch. Maybe you can put the breakdown of what you ate in this thread? I'd be interested to see. Especially, I'd be interested in meals that would replace a quest bar for the same amount of calories....would be interesting. Maybe I'll start a thread ....

I think if you add egg whites into the mix you could get the protein up pretty quickly while still leaving room for a greater volume of calories. I am on a serious egg white omelette kick though so I might be biased.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Old!

She'd love you forever and ever and ever and ever!!!!!!

I'm almost done with my Pure Protein bars (dislike the chocolate deluxe and should stuck with chewy chocolate chip). I have my B up bars go taste test and then some musclepharms I think.

These days I just eat half a proten bar for an early afternoon snack. I went off the turkey jerky when I was having tooth problems and haven't gone back yet.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I often have to drive 60-100 miles each way to get to my assigned job for the day. Throwing a protein bar or an Atkins Harvest bar into my backpack makes it easy to say no to the convince store stop for a bag of chips.
  • smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    LOL yea protein bars are def convenient. I've been addicted to the power crunch bars but recently I've found this easy recipe (link below) and changed my life. I'll stick to the power crunch bars for the lower sugar/carbs snack but for a solid pre or post workout bar...this one gets the job done very well =)

http://cms.bbcomcdn.com/fun/docs/2014/bpi-white-choc-pb-cinnamon-bars.pdf
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars for exactly the opposite reason: they help me hit my macros without having to eat myself sick.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast so a protein bar, an orange, and a coffee means I am getting more to eat than I generally would.

Cheers, h.

( I have a protein bar shelf like some have a treat/snack shelf. Variety is good)
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like my protein bars for lunch because lunch is usually rushed for me. I'm focused on getting lunch down the three kids and sorting out stuff I have to do in the afternoons, so a protein bar and an apple and some peanut butter is my go to. Don't have to cook it, delicious, decent macros.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Exactly, see definition of "supplement" and eat food first then add the bars only if you need them.