Screw you Protein Bar!

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    I agree with you, but man....it's tough to get 20g protein and 13g of fiber under 200 calories, and easy and tastes good. Tough.

Oatmeal only has a few grams of fiber per serving, so does potato. And they come with a whole lotta starch. Maybe you can put the breakdown of what you ate in this thread? I'd be interested to see. Especially, I'd be interested in meals that would replace a quest bar for the same amount of calories....would be interesting. Maybe I'll start a thread ....

Jerky and oatbran maybe? Problem with eating bars is you really don't know what you are getting anyway. If you look at the Pure Protein bars and many others they use a lot of gelatin and collagen to increase the protein but it's not the type of protein you need. Many protein powders use amino spiking techniques to increase the nitrogen content, and thus the protein grams listed, with cheap aminos like taurine and many tests have shown they don't live up to the macro numbers listed nor the ingredients listed.

So your bar may not really be anything more than a placebo.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Homemade protein bars anyone? They're quite fun & easy to make
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars because I'm a picky eater. Don't eat meat, can't eat eggs [allergy], don't like beans or tofu. So I guess it depends on why you're eating them and what other foods you eat. I get Power Crunch bars because they're $15 for a box.
  • smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    Homemade protein bars anyone? They're quite fun & easy to make

Agreed!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - for emergencies only! :)
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Jerky and oatbran maybe? Problem with eating bars is you really don't know what you are getting anyway. If you look at the Pure Protein bars and many others they use a lot of gelatin and collagen to increase the protein but it's not the type of protein you need. Many protein powders use amino spiking techniques to increase the nitrogen content, and thus the protein grams listed, with cheap aminos like taurine and many tests have shown they don't live up to the macro numbers listed nor the ingredients listed.

Or just don't buy *kitten* protein / bars. My initial comment was more of a comical "F I am hungry" post than one to get into a supplement discussion. In truth, I am going right where I want to with my program.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Strange, I actually find the high fiber protein bars keep me full longer than a big bowl of oatmeal or something, even when I usually add some greek yogurt and protein powder to improve the macros (and I like the taste!).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Or just don't buy *kitten* protein / bars. My initial comment was more of a comical "F I am hungry" post than one to get into a supplement discussion. In truth, I am going right where I want to with my program.

I agree, don't buy protein bars unless you need to. Sounds like you have your diet on point so that's a great start.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bought a large box of Clif builder bars (20g protein per bar, 250 calories) at Costco and I eat them a lot. They're good for someone who needs food on the go and has a small stomach (like me). I used to fill up on chocolate bars and sweets and gained a bunch of weight and I find I can't always sit down to eat a whole portion of food. As someone who gets extremely full on half a serving of oatmeal (made with soy milk, protein powder, and berries), they're good for me to reach my protein and calorie goals without reaching for chocolate bars while on the go. You don't need protein bars to survive, but they can be handy for some.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are great on the go...and only then.