Diet Pills?

Options

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for 2 prescription weight loss drugs I've seen on this site Adderall and Topamax both of which I was prescribed for other reasons. First Topamax, saw no weight changes but I was prescribed it for migraines and hey no side effects on that one which was surprising.
    Second Adderall, I took this one in various forms to control adhd. The original formulation had you taking a pill twice a day this one wasn't too bad I didn't gain or lose on it but this may have been my parents watching my eating habits and bribing my friends to force feed me granola and nutrigrain bars. The XR formulation on the other hand only gets taken in the am and this may have been the biggest mistake of my life, lots of side effects don't eat, don't sleep, I was exhausted all the time but so jittery that I couldn't sleep or focus except during an 8 hr block that started about an hr after taking it. There were also depression issues that if I am on it for too long can be dangerous.
    The take away from this is while I would never say it is a good idea if you do decide it is the right path for you keep a very close on your mental and physical state beyond just the weightloss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?

eat less, move more and dont fall for miracles pills that dont work

really, if they worked do you think ANYONE would be fat?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Uh oh....
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My sister had Belviq prescribed by her Dr. She was able to lose 30lbs while on it, but as soon as she stopped taking it all the weight came back - plus extra. Now she is on another medication and stopped taking it for a month and gained all she had lost on that med. back.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like the alli with a proper diet it has helped a little.

Is Alli the pill that caused some users to skid mark their underwear?

Yes, and much, much worse, from what I've read...
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Get a placebo that doesn't really do anything to your body, but that pushes you mentally! Like something herbal at the local health foods store. Even powders like maca powder, lucuma powder, chlorella powder to put in your smoothies. Or a multivitamin! :D
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Get a placebo that doesn't really do anything to your body, but that pushes you mentally! Like something herbal at the local health foods store. Even powders like maca powder, lucuma powder, chlorella powder to put in your smoothies. Or a multivitamin! :D

You mean like a set an achievable goal. Use all the money they save from not buying placebos to buy a nice bit of clothes/workout gear every 10-15 pounds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    What is the end result supposed to be? To be on a "diet pill" the rest of your life because once you get off of it, you'll regain weight because you learned NOTHING about self discipline (which is a habitual behavior)?
    Think past about what the future holds, not just what you think you may achieve now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    CindyS858 wrote: »
    What about supplements vs prescription diet pills? Has anyone tried any that they have found helpful with what they were already doing with diet/exercise?

Helpful to what end?

I'll occasionally take a protein supplement (shake/smoothie, etc) on a day where I know my protein intake is going to be lower.

Helpful with results like weight loss or building muscle faster. I have been thinking about getting some protein and doing shakes because I know I need more protein, but I also need something to help me with energy for and my appetite throughout the day and do not want to take a prescription or anything unhealthy or addictive.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I like the alli with a proper diet it has helped a little.
    Orange oil leaking out of your @$$. Nope.

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    People gain weight back after pills, crash diets, and other crap because they are not LEARNING what needs to be done to achieve long-term, sustainable weight loss. Any change involves learning how to keep the desired changes intact, and that involves TIME and lots of PATIENCE. It's cliche, but you didn't put the weight on in a few weeks so don't expect it to disappear in a few weeks.

Do yourself a favor and read ALL the sticky posts on the MFP forum. LEARN what needs to be done to be successful at weight loss and healthy weight maintenance. The implement what you have learned and stick with it every day.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would definitely so no to "diet pills" and yes-Alii will make you crap your pants, it says it on the box, LOL.

But I definitely have to say yes to high quality supplements for increased energy, appetite suppression and maybe a little bit of increased metabolism to support proper nutrition and exercise. I see many people just saying no to everything without much research on their part-but there is really not a valid reason for that either. It does not have to be all black and white. Vast majority of people who are seriously fit and athletes use supplementation to enhance their efforts.

There are many great natural ingredients you might find helpful-they will not do the work for you, but can significantly help you, especially at the beginning of your fitness journey.

I have done both-with and without supplementation and I can tell you that supplements that work are amazing and you can feel so great using them.

I hope this helps-just being honest.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    So I'm thinking about going to the doctor and seeing what they can prescribe me for diet pills. I plan on eating right and everything, but I would like a boost. Any suggestions?

Upping protein and exercise was all the boost I needed.

Taking Phen/Fen in the 90s taught me to not mess around with prescription diet pills. Sure, they worked, but was it worth possibly messing up my heart? No.
  • Kerry0194691
    Kerry0194691 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It was simply a question. No need to be so aggressive. I was simply trying to find out more information. I wasn't looking for a 'MAGIC PILL' or anything like that. It was to have a open simple discussion about something I wasn't sure about. Please stop judging and calm down.
  • Kerry0194691
    Kerry0194691 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    I would definitely so no to "diet pills" and yes-Alii will make you crap your pants, it says it on the box, LOL.

But I definitely have to say yes to high quality supplements for increased energy, appetite suppression and maybe a little bit of increased metabolism to support proper nutrition and exercise. I see many people just saying no to everything without much research on their part-but there is really not a valid reason for that either. It does not have to be all black and white. Vast majority of people who are seriously fit and athletes use supplementation to enhance their efforts.

There are many great natural ingredients you might find helpful-they will not do the work for you, but can significantly help you, especially at the beginning of your fitness journey.

I have done both-with and without supplementation and I can tell you that supplements that work are amazing and you can feel so great using them.

Thank you so much for your insight :smile:
  • CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I have been looking into supplements because I do think they could help me, but have no idea where to start. What type of supplements do you use?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I have been looking into supplements because I do think they could help me, but have no idea where to start. What type of supplements do you use?

Stand by for your inbox to be filled with sales pitches from Beachbody/Advocare/Herbalife/It Works MLM distributors.

No "supplements" that you can legally buy will make you lose weight any faster. At best, they're mild stimulants; at worst, they're junk which will do nothing except take your money. The diet industry is a multi-billion dollar fraud machine and since they're unregulated by the FDA they can make virtually any outrageous claim they want to. And they do. But none of them work, despite what their slick advertising will tell you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Walking at lunchtime gives me more energy, and it's free.
  • smis92103
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thank you so much for your insight :smile:

Oh you are so very welcome. This board is intended to empower people to help each other. There is nothing wrong with asking others their opinion, I hope my helped even just a little and I agree that people tend to get bit aggressive here. Oh well, it is easy to do so online...
  • smis92103
    Options

I have tried many supplements to aid me with my fat reduction, I am extremely active and have my diet in check most of the times but I definitely see the difference they make for me. If it does not work for others-thats fine, we are all different and all allowed to have our own journey/experience/opinion. My results and careful analysis of my training program speak for themselves, I really don't care what somebody across the country who never met me thinks about it, LOL

Beside my usual fish oil and multivitamin, I use Liporidex line of products-they are all natural and they totally make sense to me, I checked all the ingredients with my nutritionist, who is bit of fanatical about what you put in your body and she did not have issue with any of them.