Replies

• CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    CindyS858 wrote: »

I have been looking into supplements because I do think they could help me, but have no idea where to start. What type of supplements do you use?

I have tried many supplements to aid me with my fat reduction, I am extremely active and have my diet in check most of the times but I definitely see the difference they make for me. If it does not work for others-thats fine, we are all different and all allowed to have our own journey/experience/opinion. My results and careful analysis of my training program speak for themselves, I really don't care what somebody across the country who never met me thinks about it, LOL

Beside my usual fish oil and multivitamin, I use Liporidex line of products-they are all natural and they totally make sense to me, I checked all the ingredients with my nutritionist, who is bit of fanatical about what you put in your body and she did not have issue with any of them.

I agree, I feel I need a little help, but that may not be the case for everyone. I think you look great!! Thanks so much, I will look into them!
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Looks like Liporidex is a "straight off the Dr. Oz show" special. Green Coffee Bean Extract, Green Tea and Raspberry Ketones are the three primary ingredients. OP, you'd be better off spending that money on food before wasting it on a "supplement" which is going to do nothing for weight loss. It's just another example of diet industry fraud.

When somebody claims miracle results from a supplement, ask them what else they were doing. Chances are they're going to say that they took the supplement along with a calorie-reduced diet and exercise program (and most "supplements" will say something to the effect that they're most effective when combined with diet and exercise right on the label). Guess what? The supplement didn't create the weight loss, the diet and exercise did.

Read through the "Success Stories" forum here and see how many people attribute their long-term success to diet pills, drinks, cleanses, detoxes, etc. I haven't seen many over the years. Almost every one of them attribute it to a calorie deficit, with or without exercise added.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Diet pills? Like Adipose?
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They're all useless. Some did work back when ephedra was legal, but these days doctors can prescribe something like Phentermine (pretty strong stimulant/appetite suppressor) but only after you've gone through several physicals.

Just be patient.
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with you re: Dr. Oz’s miracle pills. However, I checked Liporidex out on social media - and unlike the typical Oz pills, they have a pretty nice social presence. To be honest, I actually liked some of their content. I also saw that the formula has ashwaganha, rhodiola and bacopa. I used to work in an acupuncturists office, and remember him treating his hypothyroid patients with those three herbal extracts, as well as accupressure therapy. And hey, I'll try anything that speeds up my weight loss even if its a little bit, as long as its safe and effective. I noticed they have free samples too, so you could always give it a try and see without having to spend any money. I give them credit for letting the customer decided for themselves, and not surgically grafting themselves to your wallet by enrolling you on some autoship program for the next 20 years like it seems that EVERYTHING tries to do these days!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    Diet pills? Like Adipose?

i have an adipose wood cut out hanging from my rearview mirror :)

its so cute when its not on my *kitten* .....
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wendy77685 wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree with you re: Dr. Oz’s miracle pills. However, I checked Liporidex out on social media - and unlike the typical Oz pills, they have a pretty nice social presence. To be honest, I actually liked some of their content. I also saw that the formula has ashwaganha, rhodiola and bacopa. I used to work in an acupuncturists office, and remember him treating his hypothyroid patients with those three herbal extracts, as well as accupressure therapy. And hey, I'll try anything that speeds up my weight loss even if its a little bit, as long as its safe and effective. I noticed they have free samples too, so you could always give it a try and see without having to spend any money. I give them credit for letting the customer decided for themselves, and not surgically grafting themselves to your wallet by enrolling you on some autoship program for the next 20 years like it seems that EVERYTHING tries to do these days!

Yup, this stuff is real deal. I especially love the pre-workout. Gets me work out so much harder and my stamina is off the chain. Go ahead and attack me over it, LOL...What else would I expect? ;)
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    So I'm thinking about going to the doctor and seeing what they can prescribe me for diet pills. I plan on eating right and everything, but I would like a boost. Any suggestions?

Do the "eat right and everything" first. Diet pills are not magic and will not make weight loss fast or easy, much to the belief of many. I am not saying that diet pills don't have a use, but I am saying that they shouldn't be your first option. I am not saying this from a lack of experience with diet pills. I am weaning off of phentermine right now. My experience with it has been good (much better than many others on this forum), but I didn't start with pills and I'm very glad I didn't for many reasons.

I lost 80 pounds with diet and exercise prior to getting a Rx for Phentermine. At 80 pounds down, I plateaued. I mean, I stopped absolutely dead in the water. I went 6 months without a single pound lost. I changed eating habits, I changed exercise habits, I became hyper aware and even more diligent with my food logs thinking that I might have been missing some hidden calories. Nothing worked, so finally I met with my doctor to rule out any medical reasons. She ran blood work, we talked about my diet and exercise patterns, reviewed my food and exercise logs and could not find a single reason for the plateau. I was still 45 pounds from a healthy weight at that point, so it certainly wasn't because I didn't have anything left to lose! As a last resort, we talked it over, weighing the benefits and risks, and decided to try Phentermine. She prescribed 37.5 mg/day for 6 months. I hated the way it made me feel - jittery, headache, light-headed, sometimes nauseous - so with my doctor's blessing, I cut the dose in half and the side effects I didn't like mostly went away. I have 2 pills left of the prescription and I am down 30 pounds from when I started it. I will not be asking for a renewal of the Rx. I used it as a short term solution to breaking a plateau. I believe that if I had started off with the pills, I would have never learned how to log, what exercise I enjoy and can sustain, how to be tenacious and work through difficult times, etc. This was a last resort that I decided to try after a lengthy, honest and frank conversation with my doctor. In my case, they were not used as a crutch or "kick-start" to a weight loss program. They were used as an absolute last resort to a problem we couldn't find any other solution to.
  • Annabella402
    Annabella402 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine tried diet pills, I forget which ones, and she did lose the weight while taking the pills. When she got to the weight she wanted, she came off them, and the weight came back on soon after. I don't think they're worth it and some of them have side effects as well. It's best to go for the sensible way of eating healthy, avoiding fatty and sugary foods and adding some exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

Ashwaganda Rt is the very last ingredient. The first two ingredients are B vitamins. It also contains multiple forms of caffeine, but these come from different ingredients so caffeine is not the first ingredient. It contains too many different ingredients for any one ingredient to have clinical strength, with the exception of the B vitamins and possibly the caffeine.

Ingredients

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl) Vit B12 (Cyanocobalamin) Citrus aurantium 30% Guarana 22% Caffeine Anhydrous Bioperine Bacopa Monniera Vinpocetine Choline Bitartrate Phenylthylamine Tyrosine Green Coffee Bean Ext Svetol Green Coffee Raspberry Ketones Evodiamine 98% Green Tea Ext Norcoclaurine HCL (Higenamine) Rhodiola rosea Root Ext Quercetin Ashwaganda Rt

81omxO5DPoL._SX466_.jpg
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So, I looked on examine.com, which I think is an excellent resource for supplement ingredients. After some further research on this formula, I actually came away pretty impressed. They say that ashwaganda has activity for stress relief with as low as 200-300mg.

The same with rhodiola - dosage is, “effective as low as 50mg for chronic fatigue relief,” acute dosing is 288-680. They actually say that you should exceed that limit because then it becomes ineffective (and probably builds up toxicity?). Also, the correct dosage of green coffee is: 240-600mg for a 50% chlorogenic extract supplement, double for a 25% extract.

I found the inclusion of bioperine interesting - its known to increase the bioavailablity of most ingredients, which amplifies their effects.

Reading the company’s website and instruction label - you should be taking 3 capsules/day. So from what I understand it seems that you’re definitely getting enough active ingredients for it to work. I know we’re all skeptical, but maybe, just maybe the company actually knows what they’re doing here. I looked on amazon and read a bunch of their reviews -both positive and negative. While it didn’t appear to work for everyone (what does?), it appears that at least they have good customer service, and they really do seem to care about their customers.

I got on chat with one of their reps who took the time to explain the differences between all their formulas, and they’re sending me some free samples. I will have to update once I actually try them out myself. All I know is that if more companies in the supplement industry behaved in this manner, we probably would not have to be so skeptical about buying/using supplements.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Go to a MD who is a Bariatric Physician. I see my doctor once a month. She checks my vitals and gives me tips about eating right. She gave me a prescription for Phentermine. It has been really encouraging to see the weight drop off with carefully logging food and exercise. I wouldn't trust the over the counter stuff. Phentermine is not a magic bullet, but it really helps.

Feel feel to friend me.
  • LessofAJ
    LessofAJ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Go for options that are sustainable over a lifetime and that teach you healthy eating.

I tried phentermine and had horrible side effects such as extreme dry mouth, heart racing, etc. I lost weight but it didn't teach me how to correct bad habits and the emotional/psychological triggers for overeating.

So here I am heavier than I've ever been, losing weight. But this time taking it from a healthy standpoint and trying to learn about myself along the way.

And I'm not in a hurry this time. I have occasional treats and even occasional binges. But overall I'm in a much better place mentally and heading down the right path.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Beside my usual fish oil and multivitamin, I use Liporidex line of products-they are all natural and they totally make sense to me, I checked all the ingredients with my nutritionist, who is bit of fanatical about what you put in your body and she did not have issue with any of them.
    I always laugh at "all natural" products being advertised. All natural would mean they wouldn't be in pill form. And your nutritionist, is likely lacking on how supplements are actually processed. Who makes Liproidex products? Betting it's not Liproidex. Likely a 3rd party manufacturer which isn't regulated as to the purity of any product they manufacture. Since many manufacturers are just about profit, the raw materials they get to manufacture are usually from out of the country (likely China) to keep cost low and they have no regulation as to purity of raw materials they export. Which is why it's not uncommon for someone to be asked by a doctor about what "other" things they are ingesting or why some athletes who are honest actually fail drug tests. Don't take my word for it. Research contaminants in supplements from peer reviewed studies.

http://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-12-133

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Social media isn't a great medium to actually assess how effective a supplement actually is. Peer reviewed clinical study SHOULD be the standard.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    People will do anything, believe anything, throw money towards theses companies, just because they don't want to face the fact that weight loss is about being a calorie.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Yup, this stuff is real deal. I especially love the pre-workout. Gets me work out so much harder and my stamina is off the chain. Go ahead and attack me over it, LOL...What else would I expect? ;)

You go! I love when people stick up for what they feel works for them on here, even if other people don't agree. A lot of my friends who compete use Liporidex, as well as other supplements, and I don't think they would just throw their money away if they were ineffective. Competing isn't cheap lol!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Skip the pills - at best they'll do nothing at worst they can cause heart problems or other severe medical issues or orange grease to drip out your butt - I'm not sure which is worst.