The no diet diet? Is this for real?

Options
13»

Replies

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Imwent to one(I had won a free session) and she just confused me more.. So I have an appointment next week with the Diabetes Association dietician, and she will sort things out with me. Real numbers , best foods for sugars, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is a "no diet" "diet".

My thought as well.

Sounds like this guy may be doing some No Diet (tm) Diet, though.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    JRC34235 wrote: »
    Good day all. So I have a bad habit of watching Reality TV and came across "My Diet is Better Than Yours". The person clearly out in front is the oldest competitor. He is on the "No Diet Diet". He has lost 21 pounds in 2 weeks. Now before I get bashed on how unhealthy it is to lose the weight that fast or how things are staged for reality TV, the guy actually looks slimmer and healthier. He is eating a ton of healthy fats, butter in his coffee and burgers on a regular basis, [note, I did say healthy fats so please don't lecture me on what is healthy] I was just wondering if anyone has actually heard of this diet and are there any actual medical reports on how safe it is?

I watched a couple episodes of this too. I think the guy putting butter in his coffee is on the "Wild" diet, the bald guy is on the "no diet" diet. The "Wild" diet looks a lot like Paleo, which works for some people (I've never tried it, CICO works best for me).

I kind of like this show, it's a little silly and unrealistic. Some of the diets are definitely fads. I like watching weight loss shows because I think it's really interesting to see how different people carry their weight and how they look when they lose it.

I didn't like the first episode. The second one was much better, and now I'm going to keep watching because I want to know what kind of way of eating the woman who fired her trainer is going to pick. That trainer was so full of woo it was ridiculous. Talking about toxins and cleansing and only doing a liquid diet, wtf.

I kind of like the show too, mostly because it's interesting to see them put these crazy diet theories to the test. Every one of the trainers is crazy, it's annoying but fun to watch. But the show has something missing. Maybe because they didn't start as a team, but the competitions all feel like something is missing. I think the no diet plan is basically just encouraging balance and moderation which IMO is the best thing you can do. The wild diet works if the calories are low, and fat keeps you really full. Unfortunately thought I'd imagine that guy would gain a bunch of weight if he gets used to eating like that and then gives up the deficit. Not to mention the potential impact on cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. The coaches are crazy though, I can't stand the lean mommy chick!
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the first episode. The second one was much better, and now I'm going to keep watching because I want to know what kind of way of eating the woman who fired her trainer is going to pick. That trainer was so full of woo it was ridiculous. Talking about toxins and cleansing and only doing a liquid diet, wtf.

I lost my mind when that trainer suggested jumping on a trampoline to shake up the fat in the body.

Also "taskercising" would drive me crazy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't need to diet to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. Proven time and time again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

AKA a diet.
    Literally everything we consume is a "diet". When people state they need to "diet" to lose weight, it's usually assumed they need to uptake a "certain type" of diet to lose. And as I've mentioned, one doesn't need "to diet" to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some folks do. For many years folks just ate less when they "went on diet".

Using MFP to lose weight is "dieting" the verb. Aka: being on a diet.
    So if someone was trying to gain weight, it's also assumed that they are on a diet? Again, understanding the "literal" meaning, if we were to just address it that way, then no one is really dieting. They are just eating a diet. And yes that would be correct. Of course I'm trying to address the OP and you're more than welcome to convey she's already on a diet. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes. I'd say they were on a weight gaining diet.
    A diet is how you eat. My sister is on a low salt diet. My husband eats a vegetarian diet..... My other sister is on a calorie control diet....