Palm Oil - Opinions?

Options
2»

Replies

• kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I'm not here to justify my decision. I asked a question, and if you don't want to answer it, then that's fine. I've done my research and have found places that are ethically acceptable to me. I'm not going to respond to posts with this attitude anymore.

Edit: Sourcing from West African operations. No f*cking orangutans there.

I actually live in West Africa. I have to move out of my treehouse on Wednesday. :(
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Could you please site source for your alleged S.African produced Palm Oil? Because, I'm sure people here are socially conscious and want to do the right thing.

Google "Orangutan safe palm oil".

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=269
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options

Could you please site source for your alleged S.African produced Palm Oil? Because, I'm sure people here are socially conscious and want to do the right thing.

Google "Orangutan safe palm oil".

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=269

It's not JUST Orangs. That just happened to be the animal-du-jour.

Give me sustainable sources. NOT Google.

I'll wait.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Ang108.....

as long as the message gets out.:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Then it's not about the Orangutans? Is there any form of farming that involves trees and animals that you think is ethical?

What is a sustainable source in your mind?

We can do this with shade grown coffee and any other commodity that is grown in sub-tropical regions.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I am surprised that there are sustainable palm oil sources in West Africa, because there were none about ten years ago.
    I have always avoided palm oil, because the planting of many square kilometers of palm for palm oil purposes is done by destroying precious virgin rain forest . That by itself is bad enough, especially when it comes to a product that has really nothing special about it once its refined. The fact that Orangutans are driven to extinction through loss of habitat in Indonesia is just another very sad fact of the whole issue. I think sourcing palm oil from areas where there are no Orangutans imo is not such a good idea, because with each acre of virgin rain forest that is destroyed animals are destroyed also.....and that is one way how extinction starts. And all that for a product that can easily be substituted with other oils of equal or better quality.

Unrefined palm oil has a very peculiar and distinct flavor which overshadows the flavor of many foods ( the only thing that I know that is stronger than palm oil flavor is really spicy curry ). It is not awful, but distinct. It also stains everything a very bright orangey red and it is next to impossible to get the stains out of clothing.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I am surprised that there are sustainable palm oil sources in West Africa, because there were none about ten years ago.
    I have always avoided palm oil, because the planting of many square kilometers of palm for palm oil purposes is done by destroying precious virgin rain forest . That by itself is bad enough, especially when it comes to a product that has really nothing special about it once its refined. The fact that Orangutans are driven to extinction through loss of habitat in Indonesia is just another very sad fact of the whole issue. I think sourcing palm oil from areas where there are no Orangutans imo is not such a good idea, because with each acre of virgin rain forest that is destroyed animals are destroyed also.....and that is one way how extinction starts. And all that for a product that can easily be substituted with other oils of equal or better quality.

Unrefined palm oil has a very peculiar and distinct flavor which overshadows the flavor of many foods ( the only thing that I know that is stronger than palm oil flavor is really spicy curry ). It is not awful, but distinct. It also stains everything a very bright orangey red and it is next to impossible to get the stains out of clothing.

Thank you for your feedback.