Calling all Exercise Haters

Options

Replies

• lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    sorry those links didn't work, but the articles are titled, "100 simple ways to lose weight" and "lose 35 lbs without working out" both from prevention.com
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is an Idea I got from another discussion I was In:

I hate exercise, my mantra why on earth would you run unless someone is chasing you?

How many ways can we find to burn calories without the dreaded "exercise routine".. there is a website https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc that calculates number of calories burned doing daily activites. some of the numbers will surprise you. Lets see if we can find enough of them that we don't have to do those boring workout routines

If you don't exercise how can you expect to be able to run from someone chasing you? Flawed logic there.

That is kind of the whole point, I am exercising, just not in a regimented form. I spent 2 hours mucking out my horses stall yesterday, rather than paying the neighborhood kid to do it, that was a whopping 780 calories burned.. much more than I would have burned at the gym and got something accomplished that needed to be done anyway.

If you do that once a week and other strenuous tasks technically you don't need to exercise, I always track activities such as this as I like to know exactly how many calories I burn. My worry is over doing it and not supplementing the extra calories burned. Also walking more frequently, using the stairs and not the lift, popping to the shop they all add up.
    One thing I would say though is don't always take MFP word on calories burnt, I commute to work by bike and I use several apps to track. If I input the time and distance on MFP its usually always a good 100kcal more than the other two I would say were more trusted tracking apps.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    Thanks for the support, I use the healthstatus web page. I know none of them can be completely accurate. too many variables, How heavy was each shovel full of yuk, how fast were you working at it, did you stop to wipe sweat, but I figure as long as it is pretty close that is good enough for me because there are still a lot of things that NO ONE tracks. how far did you walk to and from the bathroom today, are you that person who constantly wiggles their foot when sitting, the site I use even counts calories for brushing your teeth and driving.. no way I am going to count those.. so I think it pretty much comes out in the end
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that so many hate to exercise , my solution is to find something that's fun there's so much out there its not only good for you physically but mentally as well :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    edack72 wrote: »
    It makes me sad that so many hate to exercise , my solution is to find something that's fun there's so much out there its not only good for you physically but mentally as well :(

Don't be sad for us (though I do exercise, just not cardio).
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do get your point. Slaving away on the dreadmill is not my idea of fun, but I want to eat a whole lot more than sweeping the floor is going to allow me. I found other activities that I really enjoy that burn a ton: martial arts, trampoline, swimming pool (especially those with a slide. I think I got 50 flights of stairs lol), running outside with Zombies!Run which got me up to doing mud runs.... Basically ninja training. Some "chores" are good like shoveling snow or mowing the lawn. Most activities are fun. I wish I had more friends that were into it: kayaking, volleyball, tennis, dodge ball (mentioned above) sounds like so much fun, going out dancing, tag with your kids if you have them, hiking to a new waterfall, biking etc

See the world, grab the bull by the horns, and have a blast! Then there is no gym needed. Needs more time and planning though.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I do get your point. Slaving away on the dreadmill is not my idea of fun, but I want to eat a whole lot more than sweeping the floor is going to allow me. I found other activities that I really enjoy that burn a ton: martial arts, trampoline, swimming pool (especially those with a slide. I think I got 50 flights of stairs lol), running outside with Zombies!Run which got me up to doing mud runs.... Basically ninja training. Some "chores" are good like shoveling snow or mowing the lawn. Most activities are fun. I wish I had more friends that were into it: kayaking, volleyball, tennis, dodge ball (mentioned above) sounds like so much fun, going out dancing, tag with your kids if you have them, hiking to a new waterfall, biking etc

See the world, grab the bull by the horns, and have a blast! Then there is no gym needed. Needs more time and planning though.

Yeah, I wish I liked all that stuff, the truth is I am kind of clumsy and not very good at most sports (even when I was a skinny kid) Now as a 47 year old woman I am still kind of awkward at that stuff and I guess maybe a little emotionally scarred from being made fun of as a kid. If I tried to play a sport I would absolutely DIE from embarrassment, and forget joining a gym and doing aerobics or zumba in front of all those people.

I have some exercise equipment at home, a stair stepper and an elliptical machine, and I try to make myself get on those a little each day, but can't manage to stick with it long enough to even bother to log it.

Mostly though I KNOW MYSELF, I know that I can kick myself in the butt, get on that elliptical, work my way up to 30 mins or more per day .. but I also know that if anything happens to interrupt that routine I will fall off the wagon and won't get back on until I'm back in trouble with weight again.

That is why I want to be more realistic, the animals have to be cared for, the grocery shopping has to be done, the house has to be cleaned, I won't make excuses not to do those things, so If I can just burn more calories while I am doing them to keep me in shape I will have it made.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »

Yeah, I wish I liked all that stuff, the truth is I am kind of clumsy and not very good at most sports (even when I was a skinny kid) Now as a 47 year old woman I am still kind of awkward at that stuff and I guess maybe a little emotionally scarred from being made fun of as a kid. If I tried to play a sport I would absolutely DIE from embarrassment, and forget joining a gym and doing aerobics or zumba in front of all those people.

I have some exercise equipment at home, a stair stepper and an elliptical machine, and I try to make myself get on those a little each day, but can't manage to stick with it long enough to even bother to log it.

Mostly though I KNOW MYSELF, I know that I can kick myself in the butt, get on that elliptical, work my way up to 30 mins or more per day .. but I also know that if anything happens to interrupt that routine I will fall off the wagon and won't get back on until I'm back in trouble with weight again.

That is why I want to be more realistic, the animals have to be cared for, the grocery shopping has to be done, the house has to be cleaned, I won't make excuses not to do those things, so If I can just burn more calories while I am doing them to keep me in shape I will have it made.

I really think you're selling yourself short here, honestly, because that is stuff that most everyone does, not anything that's going to contribute substantially to your improved health (or even to significant calorie burn.) But you're only hurting yourself by not doing the physical activity needed to keep your muscles, bones, and cardiovascular system in the best condition possible, especially as you age.

The bottom line is that increasing your movement during daily activities is a good thing and it will contribute to a slightly higher daily energy expenditure, but if weight loss is your goal then you're better off paying strict attention to your diet than by trying to burn calories by taking the stairs or whatever. If improving your health rather than weight loss is your goal, then you will need to do some real exercise as a part of your day, something where you push your heart rate and your muscles.

Any physical activity is better than none, but having such a defeatist attitude about exercise is holding you back far more than any perceived limitations you think you have.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Though I think looking at calories from brushing teeth or driving is just over the top, certain people don't have to make exercise efforts to stay in shape.

People in quite a few jobs, lifestyles, etc stay in shape without heading to a gym or owning exercise equipment. I actually enjoyed when I was in such positions, and in hindsight was overall more fit most of the time. But is sucks if you are sick or have an injury.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    I have cut the calories, and am losing, guess I should have mentioned that
  • peleroja
    Options
    I have cut the calories, and am losing, guess I should have mentioned that

Okay, that's great, if that's all you care about then you certainly don't have to exercise. Weight loss doesn't require it (because, for example, a 5K run for me might only burn 200 calories, which is, what? a latte?) and your calorie deficit is all you need to lose.

I would just be very cautious about thinking about daily activities as "exercise" because for most people, they just aren't and it's not improving your health. Again, if you don't care about that and you just want to lose weight, then this is all pointless, but don't kid yourself into thinking that parking far away or ironing or taking out the garbage is going to have many health benefits unless you're going from literally zero activity.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    I don't think my attitude is defeatist, I think it is realistic, How many people get really psyched, go on a crash diet, hit the gym hard for 6 months lose the weight, tone up, get where they want to be, and quit... then 6 months to a year later they are right back where they started from.. this is because they made MAJOR changes that they were not willing or able (for whatever reason) to keep up the lifestyle ... Been there done that..... this time I simply want to make lifestyle changes in both eating habits and exercise that I feel confident I will stick with..

Even at about 30 lbs over weight I am still pretty healthy and active. I live in the country where there is LOTS of physical work to be done, mending fences, caring for animals, property maintenance on almost 7 acres, trimming trees and hauling debris, we have lots of trees so lots of work raking a picking up leaves, I do all the mowing and trimming (heavy gas weed eater) buying and unloading multiple 50lb feed bags every week for the animals..and I do it all, because my husband works on his job over 60 hours a week If I were really all that unhealthy I don't think I would be able to maintain this level of activity.

My weight is not stopping me from being healthy at this point, but I know that being over weight for long periods of time can cause a lot of problems that I don't want to deal with. and on the Short Term I just want to LOOK Better.

I didn't get fat because of lack of movement, I got fat because I had TERRIBLE eating habits.. and because I LOVE wine and soda, and because a lot of the "work" mentioned above is not consistent, It is done kind of "as needed" so I am trying to work in some calorie burners that are more routine.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    sorry if that sounded like a rant.. It's just that a lot of people seem to be thinking poor lynnstrick, needs encouragement to exercise.. and although I truly do appreciate the encouraging words, that is not really what I was hoping this thread would be.

I wanted it to be a kind of fun way for other like minded people, who aren't really crazy about REGIMENTED exercise to share ways to burn calories without the actual WORK-OUT routine.
  • peleroja
    Options
    I'm not really talking about your weight at all here. When I say "health" it's not meant to be a euphemism for "weight".

If you are doing all that manual labour, I'm not sure why you are worrying about whether or not you're taking the stairs or packing your own groceries. You seem to keep changing what you're stating in your posts each time about your lifestyle and I'm not understanding why. If you spend your whole day doing manual labour then of course you might not need to hit the gym, but that was not AT ALL the impression you were giving in previous posts.

I'm now not really getting what your point is here at all, frankly.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    ok.. sorry i gave wrong impression.. the thing is that the manual labor is not consistent day in and day out, It is pretty much "as needed" I may go weeks without having to do much other than caring for the animals, then all at once, there are tons of things to do.

That is why I am looking for the day to day stuff to kind of fill in the blanks when I have spurts of not so much to do ..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Based on human physiology, we didn't need to exercise when first arriving. Agriculture and food abundance changed all that for us along with technology. So I could see how maybe instinctively, exercise is something we don't strive for. Like anything now, most people who love exercise do it because of habitual behavior. Oh and dopamine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    How many people get really psyched, go on a crash diet, hit the gym hard for 6 months lose the weight, tone up, get where they want to be, and quit... then 6 months to a year later they are right back where they started from.. this is because they made MAJOR changes that they were not willing or able (for whatever reason) to keep up the lifestyle ...
    Lol that was me getting ready for every bodybuilding contest. Ah pizza.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That is why I am looking for the day to day stuff to kind of fill in the blanks when I have spurts of not so much to do ..

I'm a bit baffled about why you're posting in the fitness and exercise forum about how to burn calories without exercising per se.

You stay at home and don't work, which gives you the luxury of being able to do things manually. If it works for you then that's fine.

Personally I work two jobs on a sixty to seventy hour week and have a disabled partner at home. Running and cycling is my headspace. It's not about the calories. If anything the calories are the least important aspect. It helps keep me sane.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Based on human physiology, we didn't need to exercise when first arriving. Agriculture and food abundance changed all that for us along with technology. So I could see how maybe instinctively, exercise is something we don't strive for. Like anything now, most people who love exercise do it because of habitual behavior. Oh and dopamine.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Need the "like" button here.. this is spot on..

Oh yeah and I need my fix! LOL
  • lynnstrick01
    Options

I'm a bit baffled about why you're posting in the fitness and exercise forum about how to burn calories without exercising per se.

You stay at home and don't work, which gives you the luxury of being able to do things manually. If it works for you then that's fine.

Personally I work two jobs on a sixty to seventy hour week and have a disabled partner at home. Running and cycling is my headspace. It's not about the calories. If anything the calories are the least important aspect. It helps keep me same.

Maybe I should have posted in "just for fun" I did it here because I am talking about exercise and fitness, just a different KIND of exercise. I really didn't think that a title "calling all exercise haters" would be taken so seriously