Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• candidglances
    candidglances Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That carbs make you fat and you have to eat low carb to lose weight.

Carbs make you fat

Just as annoying this time as any other time.

This made me laugh!! xD

Most annoying advice anyone has given to me? JUST RUN ALL THE TIME! I guess that's a minor annoyance, but really.... running slays me.. i try.. but sometimes I just don't want to run all. the. time.
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    To eat more.

I've never been skinny. I've been skinnyfat before, at 130 pounds, but never skinny. Yet people have seen me and thought I look ill (I didn't) or that I'd lost too much weight (I hadn't) and was starving myself (I wasn't). Their opinion, of course, was that I should eat more. I suppose it's jarring to see someone who's always been fat look markedly smaller, so I understand the concern. But it's still quite irritating.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    "Oh come on, you don't have to be careful! You work out!" Hearing that is hard because I could easily inhale a crap ton of peanut butter cookies, thin mints, snickerdoodles, bbq pork sandwiches. I really could! And if I'm not more conscientious, I do! So it's hard for me to hear the praise on my body/ workout habits especially around pot lucks and holidays. I want to be able to eat all the things (ALL OF THEMMMMM) but I can't without gaining weight.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    "Have you tried colloidal silver?" :|
  • AmyOwl73
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OH a few things I hear AT HOME ALL THE TIME! (I know better, by the way)

"I used [a whole stick of] real butter so it's OK"
    "If you cook ground beef long enough, the fat cooks away so you don't have to drain it."
    "Of course I used a lot of butter in the mashed potatoes - it just soaks in anyway"
    "It's [organic/natural/gluten-free], so you can eat as much as you want!"
    "Have a beer - they're not that fattening"

I refuse to eat at the house unless I prepare it or witness it being prepared.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was told today that I shouldn't wear a Captain America shirt (my teenage son got it for me and I love the Marvel movies... I don't actually think I'm Captain America...I'm actually Wolver...I mean...I'm not weird).
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I never participate in these but I had to for this one..

I struggled with anorexia when I was in high school (and Eating disorders on and off before and since...) but I was confiding in my then-boyfriend about my problems and his advice? "Eat more cheeseburgers."

^^as if that's not bad enough - I'm vegetarian!!!! In his defensive, he was a 17 year old boy lol
  • noexcuses0626
    noexcuses0626 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Any advice from someone who is grossly overweight. I have a person in my life who has been overweight her entire life, is an insulin dependent diabetic, eats sugar and artificial sweetener like there's nothing better for her, has ZERO concept of portion control and yet she insists on telling me how I should eat. I'm good, thanks.
  • AmyOwl73
    Options
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    I was told today that I shouldn't wear a Captain America shirt (my teenage son got it for me and I love the Marvel movies... I don't actually think I'm Captain America...I'm actually Wolver...I mean...I'm not weird).

Whoever told you that is an idiot and thus should be stricken from your memory. Wear what makes you happy. :D
  • TrailRunn3rMN
    TrailRunn3rMN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "Better hurry up and get married so you can start a family"

Why? Do I get a prize?
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    All the detoxes and the WRAPS. Oh, the wraps. So annoying.

THIS. all the "IT WORKS!" stuff cluttering up my facebook page. "if you drink this juice and wrap yourself in a $50 one time use thing 80 times a day you will lose fat!"
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It'll make getting pregnant so much easier.....
    1) I'm 43
    2) I've never wanted kids....ever....
    3) did I say I was 43 and don't want children. ....
  • rockstargreatness
    rockstargreatness Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "Better hurry up and get married so you can start a family"

Why? Do I get a prize?
    The children are your prize.

It's what my mom tells me.

But, but I don't want children. Except for the ones I'll teach in the future. (Can you guess what career I'm going for.)

I prefer teenagers.

And I'm 19 so I have a looooong time to start a family.

My worst advice, drink milk, it's good for you.

I hated milk all my life. It makes me gag when I drink it.

So, it is not good for me.

• Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    aimelee wrote: »
    All the detoxes and the WRAPS. Oh, the wraps. So annoying.

THIS. all the "IT WORKS!" stuff cluttering up my facebook page. "if you drink this juice and wrap yourself in a $50 one time use thing 80 times a day you will lose fat!"

But...it works!!! Hahaha
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Anybody who is willing to chastise your plan, whatever that plan may be, without knowing *kitten* about you. Do you, I'm doing fine.
  • greyismycolour
    greyismycolour Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Just eat everything in moderation."

Because that's so easy for someone with an ED. :|
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    We have goodies everyday at work, and they are kept right by my desk. There are lots of people in our office, but only one who I work super closely with and our desks are practically on top of eachother. This particular coworker is also trying to loose weight. She tells me every day to eat some of the donuts/cookies/cake "because you shouldn't be depriving yourself. You can have one." She says this each day as she's eating 2 of whatever snack that has been brought in. I can't get it through her head that yes, I can have one if I want one, but I don't want one every day. I am down 35 pounds since she started working at my job right after Thanksgiving, and she's gained 4 pounds
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We have goodies everyday at work, and they are kept right by my desk. There are lots of people in our office, but only one who I work super closely with and our desks are practically on top of eachother. This particular coworker is also trying to loose weight. She tells me every day to eat some of the donuts/cookies/cake "because you shouldn't be depriving yourself. You can have one." She says this each day as she's eating 2 of whatever snack that has been brought in. I can't get it through her head that yes, I can have one if I want one, but I don't want one every day. I am down 35 pounds since she started working at my job right after Thanksgiving, and she's gained 4 pounds

I HATE that! I have a co-worker like that too, and she doesn't seem to understand that it's super-easy for me to use the "Oh, I shouldn't deprive myself!" excuse to overeat! Ugh.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The first is when someone comments on my food diary without my asking them to. And I mean telling me what I should eat differently. This is my journey. Sometimes I experiment with different foods or plans to see how they affect me. And sometimes I just need a damn bowl of ice cream!

The second is my husband constantly telling me that I cannot lose weight when I eat at night. Bullsh*t! I have actually lost 16 pounds in the last month and I eat almost every night. This coming from a very unhealthy man who hasn't read one iota about weight loss maybe in his entire life.

Yes, not eating at night! I used to eat a snack before going to the gym, then I did an hour of weightlifting and 45 minutes of cardio. I would get home at around 9:00 p.m., and eat another snack - basically I was splitting my dinner calories into before and after my workout. I was told by someone at work that I shouldn't be eating so late. Super helpful.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,129 Member
    Options
    On behalf of my wife: You should gain weight, you look anorexic! (She looked nothing like that, the women in her family are just, shall we say, thicker on average and looking at my skinny wife with envy.)

Worst to me: stop bulking up muscle, it'll just turn to fat when you stop exercising as you get older!