Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Let's see....
    1. Oh try this diet. Blah Blah Blah lost xxx amount of pounds with it. They just ate half of what they usually eat. REALLY? So they just cut their calories? Gee I didn't think of doing that!
    2. You need to exercise more. Have you gotten a gym membership? Gee...No. Are you going to pay for my membership and drive me there? NO? Then stfu.
    3. Have you tried using laxatives to lose weight? NO! Because it's not a safe way to lose weight. And I work. I can't be taking breaks every 30-60 minutes to take a crap. I have customers that I have to take care of.

I am a 46 year old woman with multiple sclerosis. I am not able to work out like other people. I can't walk that well and I use crutches or a walker so I don't fall. I do a lot of arm exercises and I ride a tricycle 3-5 times a week. OH! And all these questions have come from people that don't have issues with their weight. They have NO clue what it's like for those of us that struggle with weight and health issues. My issue has NO cure......except for the weight loss and I am working on that.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm tired of people that sell this "It Works" fad telling me to use it. I know 2 people that sell the crap. And you know what? They haven't lost any weight using "It Works" products. They are still pretty dang round......just like me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm tired of people that sell this "It Works" fad telling me to use it. I know 2 people that sell the crap. And you know what? They haven't lost any weight using "It Works" products. They are still pretty dang round......just like me.

I know someone that sells it too. I wish someone would crack down on all these scams.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I've lost 76 pounds over the last 10 months and pretty much any advise on how to lose weight at this point is pretty annoying. I know exactly how to lose weight....eat less. And if I tell someone that they then proceed to say "Why don't you try the low carb diet"? No offense... but why would I want to?

This. I've dropped just over 80 in the last year and STILL have people... Most of whom need to lose quite a bit.. Suggest what I should be doing OR ask what I'm doing, then disregard it and talk about whatever fad diet they heard about on Dr Oz.. And I just walk away. Lol
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You can't loose weight unless you eat only salads and/or drink shakes. No real food allowed.

You will never succeed if you allow yourself to eat ______(i.e. ice cream, pasta, etc).
  • debhurley196994
    debhurley196994 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well mine is slightly different. I bought some exercise equipment for the house and was told by a few people that it was a waste of money and I should go to the gym! I always return with this question. Will you watch my kids for free so I can go to the gym daily.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Got in a fight with my aunt recently (after i have lost 60 pounds not exercising and being healthier than ever...and she cant lose any with exercise)

She said i need meat in my diet or i wont lose weight. She got mad about it was practically screaming at me. Said 1/3rd of my plate NEEDS to be meat or i wont lose weight i need the protein. Couldnt even stand up for self in passenger seat of her car >.>
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Oh or when someone sees me at a pizza shop or something getting a slice. And they act like i was sneaking around and they caught me...and im not aloud to eat it. Or they are suddenly so damn smiley that i failed my diet (not sure why that seems to make people happy)

Hop off my back i wasn't sneaking I exercised extra and saved calories for this. Go away >.>

Not exactly annoying advice i guess but im sure im not alone.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You shouldn't eat French fries so often. Actually, I am annoyed by anyone who thinks they are allowed to decide what goes into my mouth. o:)
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Just eat X Y and Z
    me: I cannot eat gluten

Then eat A B and C
    me: I still cannot eat gluten

Then have some couscous
    me: I cannot eat gluten!!!
    Him: But it is couscous! (me: "facepalms)

But why do you not eat fish and chips?
    Me: I cannot have gluten and I am trying to loose weight.
    But it is fish?
    Me: Yes, covered in a wheat batter!
    Why do you not just peel off the batter and eat just the fish like I do?
    Me: It will make me ill, I cannot have gluten, wheat is gluten-filled! Besides I am on a calorie controlled diet.
    Just eat the chips then??
    Me: I am trying to loose weight and the chips is fried with the fish so I cannot eat it.
    But surely the oil fries off the gluten so you can eat it?
    Me: "facepalms"

At this point I walked off.

YES THIS. Sister -A little bit of this brownie is ok. Me-No I will be sick for days Sister- Just one bite? Me- Yes, please get it out of my face.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    You should include eggs, bananas, and avocado in your diet.

None of those are options for me, glad to see you know me so well :-p
  • bgishn
    bgishn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »
    That I could just stop being lazy and start exercising whenever I wanted. Yes, I'll be on my way to marathon once I'll find proper depression meds...

I love this because I happen to have quit my depression meds just over a year ago (all of them) and just recently ran my first marathon last month. May be related, may be coincidence. But you just decribed me :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    "Weight loss happens in the kitchen not in the gym." Ok, couch potato.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    An idiot once told me to eat clay.

I think you win.

Mine are mostly of the "you need to do cardio/stop eating carbs/take shakes" or "you don't want to lose too much weight/people who lose weight look old/you are so skinny now (said when I was over 220 pounds)" variety.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That Juice Plus shakes will not only cause me to shed all of my unwanted weight, but will also cure my rosacea and the gummies will cure my son's ADHD.

from a new neighbor who sells the Juice Plus stuff and is a true believer (I am not getting into it with her how that crap is just overpriced vitamins and supplements you can get at GNC for a fraction of the MLM price) and I just politely refuse all of her invites to get together with her and a bunch of gals to "make smoothies" or "make salads" (and listen to a sales pitch for sure) because our kids are friendly with each other.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    To eat breakfast because it will boost my metabolism. What? No. I hate breakfast. I despise breakfast. I don't want to eat breakfast. Not only that, there has been no research to show it does anything to your metabolism. So leave my breakfastlessness alone!

THIS!
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Just push yourself away from the dinner table, that's all you have to do!" That is such B.S.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    that them slapping a snack i want out of my hand saying "your on a diet you don't need this!" is them helping me. *kitten* please i exercised and saved my calories up for this who the hell are you to tell me i cant have it?

Made even worse by i imagine if i let them get away with that theyd of eaten it second i left the room xD