any rhabdomyolysis victims?! help please!

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Basically, a general recommendation to stay within the envelope while continuing to push it would do most people for most activity they care to try.

Make 80%ish of your effort moderate intensity (up to 80%ish effort) and sparingly test where your new limits lay. Continually testing the limits of a quality normally doesn't build that quality outside of the short term

All out, all the time - is a poor training programme whether you are a runner, lifter, team sport athlete, martial artist, crossfitter, etc... a short, and injury filled career awaits you with a few hard stalls along the way.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Ahh, I see. Well what the Op said in that post is the exact thing the article warned about

Per the article -
    Next, rhabdo usually strikes someone who has been away from intense exercise for a while and then jumps back in with too much volume and intensity. Someone who has been very fit in the past and has taken six months off must ramp up volume slowly as he returns to intense exercise. This type of athlete has the mind and the determination to push himself beyond his body’s capabilities—where rhabdo lives.

and per Op in the other thread -
    I worked out for 1 intend hour on Tuesday evening legs only. I have not worked out in the gym for about 1 year.

I still wouldn't rule CrossFit out. That's not what caused this. Not scaling and taking it easy first time back after a year is. I would question whether the Coach new this was a first timer back in the gym and whether there was any caution to take things easy. Most CF gyms won't let you just jump into a WOD. There are fundamental classes you need to take before you get anywhere near a true WOD.

But how do you know most CF gyms won't let let you just jump in? We have 3 CF gyms open within a 1 mile radius of my home within the last year. I would say chances are your statement is sweeping.

I've done CF and I've travelled to other CF gyms in other countries. I have CF friends online. I haven't heard of it happening. Not to say it doesn't happen, but as a general rule, CF boxes have to follow the CF guidelines to be able to be "CrossFit". There are always those that will skirt or outright break the rules but I'm willing to be that it is the exception, not the rule.

FTR - the only person I've ever known to end up with Rhabdo had just finished an Ironman triathlon. You can get it from any type of sport, not just CrossFit.
    If we are warning OP away from CrossFit on the basis of having come down with rhabdo, we should also warn her away from running, rowing, cross country skiing and she probably shouldn't apply for the military as it happens during basic training sometimes as well.

Exercise induced rhabdo is extremely rare, it's normally the result of an accident, disease or drug use.

OP, out of curiosity, what was the genesis of your rhabdo? Was it a physcial injury?

Yes, I realize that. Which is why I was stating if we are going to avoid activity out of fear of it there are many we should avoid.
    I am not sure what the risk of re-occurance is or if it is greater if you have experienced it before.

I guess my post was a bit off on tone, I was agreeing with you. :) I don't know if there is any research on the reinjury rate since it's so rare. I would imagine all information is anectodal but probably wouldn't be too much of an increased risk.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Ahh, I see. Well what the Op said in that post is the exact thing the article warned about

Per the article -
    Next, rhabdo usually strikes someone who has been away from intense exercise for a while and then jumps back in with too much volume and intensity. Someone who has been very fit in the past and has taken six months off must ramp up volume slowly as he returns to intense exercise. This type of athlete has the mind and the determination to push himself beyond his body’s capabilities—where rhabdo lives.

I worked out for 1 intend hour on Tuesday evening legs only. I have not worked out in the gym for about 1 year.

I still wouldn't rule CrossFit out. That's not what caused this. Not scaling and taking it easy first time back after a year is. I would question whether the Coach new this was a first timer back in the gym and whether there was any caution to take things easy. Most CF gyms won't let you just jump into a WOD. There are fundamental classes you need to take before you get anywhere near a true WOD.

But how do you know most CF gyms won't let let you just jump in? We have 3 CF gyms open within a 1 mile radius of my home within the last year. I would say chances are your statement is sweeping.

I've done CF and I've travelled to other CF gyms in other countries. I have CF friends online. I haven't heard of it happening. Not to say it doesn't happen, but as a general rule, CF boxes have to follow the CF guidelines to be able to be "CrossFit". There are always those that will skirt or outright break the rules but I'm willing to be that it is the exception, not the rule.

FTR - the only person I've ever known to end up with Rhabdo had just finished an Ironman triathlon. You can get it from any type of sport, not just CrossFit.
    If we are warning OP away from CrossFit on the basis of having come down with rhabdo, we should also warn her away from running, rowing, cross country skiing and she probably shouldn't apply for the military as it happens during basic training sometimes as well.

Exercise induced rhabdo is extremely rare, it's normally the result of an accident, disease or drug use.

OP, out of curiosity, what was the genesis of your rhabdo? Was it a physcial injury?

Yes, I realize that. Which is why I was stating if we are going to avoid activity out of fear of it there are many we should avoid.
    I am not sure what the risk of re-occurance is or if it is greater if you have experienced it before.

I guess my post was a bit off on tone, I was agreeing with you. :) I don't know if there is any research on the reinjury rate since it's so rare. I would imagine all information is anectodal but probably wouldn't be too much of an increased risk.

http://missyleone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Return-Physical-Activity-after-Exertional-Rhabdomyolysis.pdf

seems to be a bit thin on the ground, mate.
    Three major issues must be addressed after an athlete
    recovers from ER. First, who is at risk for recurrence and
    requires further evaluation? Second, for those athletes not
    requiring further evaluation, when can they safely return to
    sport? Finally, should any restrictions be placed upon the
    athlete, and if so, for how long? To our knowledge, no
    standard guidelines exist to determine return to play after an
    episode of ER. Although several authors have recommended
    resuming play once symptoms resolve, no consensus exists
    regarding what is an acceptable CK level or what the rate of
    progression should be (17-19). The authors, from a military
    perspective, endorse the following return to play process
    (Table). We recognize that this approach may be viewed as
    overly conservative in a sports environment; however, in
    caring for a large and heterogeneous population, this
    approach minimizes the opportunity for missing the individual(s)
    at risk for recurrent ER.
    An athlete who experiences clinically relevant ER should
    first be risk-stratified as either low or high risk for a
    recurrence. To be considered "suspicious for high risk," at
    least one of the following conditions must exist or be
    present:
    a. Delayed recovery (more than 1 wk) when activities
    have been restricted
    b. Persistent elevation of CK (greater than five times the
    upper limit of the normal lab range) despite rest for at least
    2 wk
    c. ER complicated by acute renal injury of any degree
    d. Personal or family history of ER
    e. Personal or family history of recurrent muscle cramps
    or severe muscle pain that interferes with activities of daily
    living or sports performance
    f. Personal or family history of malignant hyperthermia,
    or family history of unexplained complications or death
    following general anesthesia
    g. Personal or family history of sickle cell disease or trait
    h. Muscle injury after low to moderate work or activity
    i. Personal history of significant heat injury (heat stroke)
    j. Serum CK peak ~ 100,000 UL -1.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Per the article -

http://missyleone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Return-Physical-Activity-after-Exertional-Rhabdomyolysis.pdf

present:
    have been restricted
    2 wk

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure who would have a family history of ER! :confused:

ETA: looks like they are using a very generous definition of ER here as well. I'm thinking of servere cases where people get so sick they can barely move so it might be more common than I've given it credit, but I also imagine not too many people would present for medical attention or be diagnosed with it even if they did unless it was very serious.
  • jimmmer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Per the article -

present:
    have been restricted
    2 wk

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure who would have a family history of ER! :confused:

Since they indicate that it's related to genetic stuff like sickle cell trait, family history of hyperthermia, family history of muscle cramps... I guess, it stands to reason that families that have those, probably have a history of ER if they are active as well?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options

Per the article -

present:
    have been restricted
    2 wk

Since they indicate that it's related to genetic stuff like sickle cell trait, family history of hyperthermia, family history of muscle cramps... I guess, it stands to reason that families that have those, probably have a history of ER if they are active as well?

Perhaps, knowledge of ER seems to be very thin gruel right now. If it's not being recognized and diagnosed properly, the symptons are often vague and generic in mild cases, then it's hard to get a good idea on how it should be treated and what the incident rate really is.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Per the article -

I went to the gym with my friend and did not work out all year it was my first time and we did leg day, I was dumb did not think did not stretch pushed myself to not look weak in front of my friend and on top of that I fasted so it was a combination of them all, I got exercise induced rhabdo in my quads worst pain and cramps ever, I got this last November and I've been preparing myself to get back in the gym and stretch and not over do it. Cross fit does not cause rhabdo pushing yourself too hard causes rhabdo idk why people are saying I was doing cross fit, I read about a man who did 100 push ups and got it, its rare but it can happen for many reasons.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    lalainap19 wrote: »

Per the article -

I went to the gym with my friend and did not work out all year it was my first time and we did leg day, I was dumb did not think did not stretch pushed myself to not look weak in front of my friend and on top of that I fasted so it was a combination of them all, I got exercise induced rhabdo in my quads worst pain and cramps ever, I got this last November and I've been preparing myself to get back in the gym and stretch and not over do it. Cross fit does not cause rhabdo pushing yourself too hard causes rhabdo idk why people are saying I was doing cross fit, I read about a man who did 100 push ups and got it, its rare but it can happen for many reasons.

Cross fit was what brought the exercise induced version into the spotlight so it gets a lot of the blame and that has a lot to do with the mentality of cross fit culture to always push, but as you say, it's the pushing beyond safe limits and not that it's cross fit technique itself that's the problem.

What has your doctor advised? Has he or she sent you to a sports medicine specialist who can help with reintroducing exercises?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OMG- if you're doctor didn't give you enough information- go find another effing doctor- not a forum full of keyboard jockeys.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    OMG- if you're doctor didn't give you enough information- go find another effing doctor- not a forum full of keyboard jockeys.

Solid advice as always, Jo!