Nuts Have Fewer Calories

Options
Nuts have about 25% fewer calories than is listed, studies have found. Do you track nuts as listed in the database? Or 25% fewer?

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/are-nut-calorie-counts-wrong

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    "The study was supported by the Almond Board of California."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nuts are calorie dense. I'm in the process of gaining weight and I still don't eat them.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    They are calorie dense, but very healthy. I make sure to eat them daily and I'm losing a pound+ a week.
  • robingmurphy
    Options
    Also, delicious.
  • arditarose
    Options
    They're great, yeah. Just make sure you're weighing those suckers on a food scale.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I can't go there...I can't go there...
  • robingmurphy
    Options
    Definitely something to weigh and not just eyeball. Learned that lesson.
  • arditarose
    Options
    srv524 wrote: »

Why not?! It's Friday! lol
  • starbuckaddict
    starbuckaddict Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    srv524 wrote: »

I picture someone saying this while rocking back and forth on the floor of a closet.

I know this kind of mind blowing information completely throws me and makes me question everything about the world so I will continue on and pretend that nuts are the same calories I think they are.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Definitely something to weigh and not just eyeball. Learned that lesson.

heh. So many lessons learned in the past year of weight loss/body transformation
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sorry I'm not addressing the article. I'm pretty sure nuts have the calories as stated on the package or USDA website.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    *waits in hope for the USDA study on the over estimation of calories in pizza*
  • galgenstrick
    edited January 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not addressing the article. I'm pretty sure nuts have the calories as stated on the package or USDA website.

Agreed. The article is using weasel words because it was funded by the Almond Board of CA. Yes all nuts have the calories as stated by the USDA website. They are trying to say that a lot of the calories go undigested. What they don't say is that this is true for all food, so there is nothing special about nuts, except they are more calorie dense than other foods.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    *waits in hope for the USDA study on the over estimation of calories in pizza*

Is there a gofundme for this?
  • starbuckaddict
    starbuckaddict Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious that there's an almond board of CA?

• arditarose
    Options
    Hilarious is a strong word
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Walnuts have 21% fewer calories than listed too. But no, I don't change the calories and use whatever is on the label.

"During the past decade, Baer and other researchers have shown that with certain tree nuts, fewer calories are absorbed by the body than the calories contained in other foods. Baer found previously that the number of calories in almonds was 20% less than the standard used for labeling. For pistachios, it was 5% less.

Further studies are needed, but the differences between the calorie levels found in those study results and what appears on the labels could indicate that people don’t completely chew nuts before swallowing them or that it is difficult to fully digest the nut’s cell walls, Baer said.
    -USDA Blog
  • galgenstrick
    edited January 2016
    Options

and given that California is in a drought, everyone should boycott the Almond Board of California since it takes >1 gallons of water for each almond. What a waste and not worth the calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Not when you consider that it's CA's third largest agricultural crop, top export crop, and that they grow nearly 100% of the almonds consumed in the US and somewhere around 80% of the almonds consumed in the world. Money talks.
  • robingmurphy
    Options