Nuts Have Fewer Calories

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

That's the same bad argument. Any food that has high fiber is going to move more calories through the digestive track undigested. Again, it's weasel words used by the groups funding these studies.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's nuts!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious that there's an almond board of CA?
    Hilarious is a strong word

I would say "typical."
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Deez nuts!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have an almond tree in my backyard, so there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

That is so cool. I don't even have a backyard.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I didn't choose to love nuts. I was born this way
  • queenliz99
    Options

Sorry, I didn't mean to brag. It was actually meant for the poster and his boycotting of almonds. my bad
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nuts are very calorie dense. They have a great nutritional gains, but that doesn't change the fact you should heed the back label...
  • arditarose
    Options

Sorry, I didn't mean to brag. It was actually meant for the poster and his boycotting of almonds. my bad

No don't be sorry! It is really cool
  • queenliz99
    Options

No don't be sorry! It is really cool

It is cool, thanks. Fresh almonds are amazing.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Me neither :(. Maybe if my apartment complex had an Almond Board, we could get an almond tree. And a backyard.

I would rather just log nuts with the USDA numbers and know I was prob not absorbing quite all of the calories. As someone else said, that happens to one extent or the other for all sorts of food. And I'm sure varies based on the health of your digestive system. Not something I can realistically figure out.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I said "boycott the Almond Board of CA" not boycott almonds, but I'm super jealous you have an almond tree. I have a walnut tree in my backyard, but I never liked walnuts too much.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Man, you guys are terrible nut-eating enablers. You were supposed to say that of course I can eat 25% more and not count it! Also, now I really want an almond tree with fresh almonds.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Can someone please let me know when this is true for Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream? Thanks.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    They're great, yeah. Just make sure you're weighing those suckers on a food scale.

No need, really, if you are good at estimating. I am always within .5 gram when I estimate by counting nuts - or measuring them, and then weighing. I've been eating between 1/4 and 1/2 cup nearly every day for 4 months -losing 31.3 lbs in the process. I didn't even have a reliable scale for 3 of the 4 months - but have verified my ability to measure/count nuts accurately.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm not addressing the article. I'm pretty sure nuts have the calories as stated on the package or USDA website.

They do. Your body just can't use all of them.

BUT - whatever standard you are using to count calories (including or excluding fiber calories), you need to use that standard consistently and set your goals accordingly. If you are going to exclude fiber calories, your calorie cap for the day will be lower. You can't use the fiber included calories to set a cap, then exclude fiber calories from your count.
  • arditarose
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    They're great, yeah. Just make sure you're weighing those suckers on a food scale.

No need, really, if you are good at estimating. I am always within .5 gram when I estimate by counting nuts - or measuring them, and then weighing. I've been eating between 1/4 and 1/2 cup nearly every day for 4 months -losing 31.3 lbs in the process. I didn't even have a reliable scale for 3 of the 4 months - but have verified my ability to measure/count nuts accurately.

That's awesome for you! I really love nuts, actually. If I had them around I would take a few here or there. I definitely need to weigh them. And many new people who have never used a food scale might not be aware of what a serving size looks like. I hope to one day either be able to put my food scale away a little more, or log my food a little less.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious that there's an almond board of CA?

Not just you!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    [

I said "boycott the Almond Board of CA" not boycott almonds, but I'm super jealous you have an almond tree. I have a walnut tree in my backyard, but I never liked walnuts too much.

@galgenstrick I don't like walnuts either, they make my tongue all sorts of itchy.

I misread your original reply. California watering practices are in major need of updating. I use a HomeDepot bucket in my shower to capture the warm up water for watering plants in my backyard. And where I live we have signs all over town stating, "let your lawn get a tan."