Are "diet" sodas really bad

Options

Replies

• finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm more conceded about you cutting your wine with V8. Is this a thing?

I am also quite concerned with this. I really hope you aren't spending more than $10 on that bottle of wine.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The problem with diet sodas isn't the calories or the "chemicals". It's the artificial sweetener, but not for the reasons you have probably been told... (They do not cause cancer)

When you consume zero calorie sweetened foods or beverages you are tricking your body. Your body wants sugar because it has a lot of quickly available energy that your ancestors might need to go hunt a deer and kill it with their bare hands. But your body also has an 'off switch' for your sweet tooth that tells you when you've had all the short release energy your body can use at a time. When you consume artificial sweeteners, your body thinks it has achieved it's goal to obtain quickly available calories, when it hasn't. Upon realizing that it didn't get the energy that it thinks it should have, it quickly puts in a order for more sugar. If you again satisfy this impulse with another diet soda, the pattern will repeat itself. After prolonged diet soda consumption, your body's sweetness regulation is all out of wack. It now believes you need to consume an ungodly amount of sweets in order to get just a tiny amount of energy from them. Now when you reach for that candy bar, the real sugar (with the calories) will be registered as a tiny fraction of what you need, and you will more than likely go in for a second or third. This is where the weight gain from diet sodas comes from.

I have experienced this first hand. About 3 years ago, I was drinking 12 diet sodas a day roughly. No big deal, that's still 0 calories right? Wrong. I remember that I couldn't trust myself around sweets, I had to keep them out of the house or I would eat all of them. I could easily eat a whole package of Oreo's in one sitting. I just thought I had a crazy intense sweet tooth. Then, about 2 years ago, I learned what diet sodas where actually doing to my body's built in regulation center, and cut them out entirely. Now, I maaaybe have 1 regular soda every month or two, and can easily have a one piece of cake, or a cookie when grandma goes through a lot of effort to make them for us, without needing to eat them all.

If you do drink diet sodas, just know that you haven't done any permanent damage to your body, but if your goal is to lose weight, you really should cut them out of your life. They will turn satisfying treats into unsatisfying binges very quickly.

I have no idea about the science behind this but I'm pretty sure most of us aren't drinking 12 diet sodas per day.
  • arditarose
    Options

I am also quite concerned with this. I really hope you aren't spending more than $10 on that bottle of wine.

Pretty sure it's a jug...around 10 dollars.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The problem with diet sodas isn't the calories or the "chemicals". It's the artificial sweetener, but not for the reasons you have probably been told... (They do not cause cancer)

When you consume zero calorie sweetened foods or beverages you are tricking your body. Your body wants sugar because it has a lot of quickly available energy that your ancestors might need to go hunt a deer and kill it with their bare hands. But your body also has an 'off switch' for your sweet tooth that tells you when you've had all the short release energy your body can use at a time. When you consume artificial sweeteners, your body thinks it has achieved it's goal to obtain quickly available calories, when it hasn't. Upon realizing that it didn't get the energy that it thinks it should have, it quickly puts in a order for more sugar. If you again satisfy this impulse with another diet soda, the pattern will repeat itself. After prolonged diet soda consumption, your body's sweetness regulation is all out of wack. It now believes you need to consume an ungodly amount of sweets in order to get just a tiny amount of energy from them. Now when you reach for that candy bar, the real sugar (with the calories) will be registered as a tiny fraction of what you need, and you will more than likely go in for a second or third. This is where the weight gain from diet sodas comes from.

I have experienced this first hand. About 3 years ago, I was drinking 12 diet sodas a day roughly. No big deal, that's still 0 calories right? Wrong. I remember that I couldn't trust myself around sweets, I had to keep them out of the house or I would eat all of them. I could easily eat a whole package of Oreo's in one sitting. I just thought I had a crazy intense sweet tooth. Then, about 2 years ago, I learned what diet sodas where actually doing to my body's built in regulation center, and cut them out entirely. Now, I maaaybe have 1 regular soda every month or two, and can easily have a one piece of cake, or a cookie when grandma goes through a lot of effort to make them for us, without needing to eat them all.

If you do drink diet sodas, just know that you haven't done any permanent damage to your body, but if your goal is to lose weight, you really should cut them out of your life. They will turn satisfying treats into unsatisfying binges very quickly.

I have no idea about the science behind this but I'm pretty sure most of us aren't drinking 12 diet sodas per day.

It always has to go to extremes. Diet Soda is just like everything else...moderation.

I am just waiting to for my binging to happen though...
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Nope, it is the cheap stuff $10 to 12 bucks for a really big "jug" not the typical wine bottle, and I'm not sure why you guys use the word "concerned" it's not like i'm downing a bottle every night. It's about a 10 oz glass, 1/2 wine, 1/2 v8 splash. about twice per week. (im really not an alchy)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

It always has to go to extremes. Diet Soda is just like everything else...moderation.

I am just waiting to for my binging to happen though...

Right? I'll choose a diet soda over a doughnut on purpose, to have something sweet. Drinking a few here or there doesn't make me tear the cupboards apart in search of all the chocolate.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Please don't blame diet soda for your own bad eating habits, k thx bye.
  • finneyjason218
    Options

Nope, it is the cheap stuff $10 to 12 bucks for a really big "jug" not the typical wine bottle, and I'm not sure why you guys use the word "concerned" it's not like i'm downing a bottle every night. It's about a 10 oz glass, 1/2 wine, 1/2 v8 splash. about twice per week. (im really not an alchy)

I say concerned because I'm a bit of wine snob (personal problem, I'm working on it). I just feel like wine is an experience, an adventure, and should be loved for its loud overtures as well as its subtler notes. If your just drinking it as alcohol, I guess take it however you like.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    As I said earlier I think what you guys are teaching me here is MODERATION. I will have my diet sodas as a treat, but I will seriously try not to make them my go to drink of choice, for my whole working day, every day as I have done in the past. What finney said about artificial sugar making you crave REAL sugar kind of makes sense to me, although it wasn't that way for me personally, even when I was drinking diet sodas all the time.. i still never craved cookies or candy. What I did notice is if you give me a can of soda, diet or not, I will drink that sucker down in seconds and want more.. give me anything else to drink.. Tea, water, fruit juice, or even my beloved wine.. the same sized glass will last for hours
  • finneyjason218
    Options

I went overboard with the diet sodas, sure, but really any artificial sweetener will have this effect. The more you drink the more you will notice it. 12 sodas a day and you will have no sweetness regulation at all. One every 2 days, and the effect will probably be too mild to notice.
    As had been said before, taking anything in moderation, you will probably be fine
  • lynnstrick01
    Options

I say concerned because I'm a bit of wine snob (personal problem, I'm working on it). I just feel like wine is an experience, an adventure, and should be loved for its loud overtures as well as its subtler notes. If your just drinking it as alcohol, I guess take it however you like.

Yeah, I know a lot of "wine snobs" they say I don't drink wine, I drink kool-aid disguised as wine. (does that mean I can drink more of it??) hee hee... I have tried to drink the "finer" wines when people have given them as gifts or served them in their homes.. (yuk) I seriously just don't like them...I once seriously offended my sister in law, she gave me a bottle of some expensive wine and the only way I could drink it was to make it a spritzer, i added 7 up to it. I thought she was gonna die..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I went overboard with the diet sodas, sure, but really any artificial sweetener will have this effect. The more you drink the more you will notice it. 12 sodas a day and you will have no sweetness regulation at all. One every 2 days, and the effect will probably be too mild to notice.
    As had been said before, taking anything in moderation, you will probably be fine

Do you have any science to back that? I havent noticed any craving regardless if i drink 4, 1 or 0. Its possible, it was more habiy that anything else, just like habitual snackers.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Do you have any science to back that? I havent noticed any craving regardless if i drink 4, 1 or 0. Its possible, it was more habiy that anything else, just like habitual snackers.

I think as with many things, the addictive effect of sugar (artificial or real) can be unique to the individual, I don't know about science, this is just what makes sense to me.. otherwise it seems like we would all have the same types of cravings
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    oops my post went away.... try again....

I think that as with many things, the addictive effects of sugar real or artificial on the body is an individual thing. I don't know about the science, it just makes sense, otherwise it seems like we would all have the same cravings and there would be 1 proven method of curbing those cravings (wouldn't that be great)
  • finneyjason218
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I found several studies 2 years ago, when I was still in college, which a friend pointed me too after a long debate. After actually reviewing all the studies, I conceded that I was wrong and changed my life accordingly. I don't have the papers still (that was a laptop ago), but I can poke around on google for a bit. Google isn't great for nutrition though, it has a tendency show you sensationalized media releases, and the general media is worthless when it comes to actual nutrition advice. I miss having access to the university database. (ex. the internet was the main medium through which that article "eating chocolate is good for you" was circulated. The author of that paper said he wrote it to show how easy it is to spread misinformation on the internet, he made up all the data, copy and pasted large sections of Wikipedia having nothing to do with chocolate, gave it a clickable title and sent it to social media.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is a slightly muddled version of the theory that some have that artificial sweeteners lead to craving sweets. It might be true for some people, but there's no strong evidence to support it yet -- it's more a theory to answer the question as to why drinking diet soda doesn't seem to result in lower weight (all else equal). Seems to me the answer to that is not hard to figure out, so the theory isn't necessary, but whatever.

In any case, assuming this happens based on a theory vs. just seeing how drinking diet soda effects you seems to me a strange thing to do (not saying you did this for yourself, but you want OP to believe that it will happen to her rather than going with her actual experience).

For me, I go through periods where I don't drink soda and then periods when I do (in moderation--if I overconsume any beverage it is coffee). When I am drinking diet soda, there is no, zero, nada effect on how much I want sugar (and I don't have an enormous sweet tooth). Also, when I used to drink lots of wine was during a period when I also drank lots of diet coke, and I continued to prefer dry wines (and not really like sweet ones at all). I also continued to have more overconsumption issues with non-sweet foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But I know myself too well, I wont LIVE that way and the lbs will come right back and invite some buddies along with them. I told myself that this time I was going to make REALISTIC life choices that don't leave me feeling depressed and deprived.. I want to do things that I can LIVE with so that when the weight comes off I can happily continue with better habits and it will actually STAY off.

I think this is a great approach.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But I know myself too well, I wont LIVE that way and the lbs will come right back and invite some buddies along with them. I told myself that this time I was going to make REALISTIC life choices that don't leave me feeling depressed and deprived.. I want to do things that I can LIVE with so that when the weight comes off I can happily continue with better habits and it will actually STAY off.

I think this is a great approach.

Thanks, I'm trying
  • finneyjason218
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is a slightly muddled version of the theory that some have that artificial sweeteners lead to craving sweets. It might be true for some people, but there's no strong evidence to support it yet -- it's more a theory to answer the question as to why drinking diet soda doesn't seem to result in lower weight (all else equal). Seems to me the answer to that is not hard to figure out, so the theory isn't necessary, but whatever.

In any case, assuming this happens based on a theory vs. just seeing how drinking diet soda effects you seems to me a strange thing to do (not saying you did this for yourself, but you want OP to believe that it will happen to her rather than going with her actual experience).

I completely agree with this sentiment, though I believe there is more evidence in support of the theory than lemurcat12 thinks there is, the important thing is trying it for yourself and living within your comfort level. Everyone has slightly different reactions to everything.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    anybody else have this experience with sodas

even when I was drinking diet sodas all the time.. i still never craved cookies or candy. What I did notice is if you give me a can of soda, diet or not, I will drink that sucker down in seconds and want more.. give me anything else to drink.. Tea, water, fruit juice, or even my beloved wine.. the same sized glass will last for hours[/