Losing weight after 40

Options

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs when I was 50 by using MFP to help monitor my calories in and expended. It went well but I was patient. I exercise HARD for about 30 min every day. I am in better shape and slimmer than I have ever been since high school. My BMI is now around 21.5 or so, but was in the overweight range (26-27, if I recall correctly) when I started MPF.

We can look for all kinds of excuses such as slower metabolism as we age. On the flip side, now that I am older, my family is also more mature and I have more time to focus on my own fitness and diet.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Every one else already made good comments. Just posting to say yes, I've done it as well. It's much easier when you recognize the truth about weight loss - CICO.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Found it easier in my 50's than any other time.
    Food labelling, calorie counting app, more science and less guesswork, more "me time" now the children don't need me to be their taxi driver.....
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Not harder at all. I'm not as active in normal day to day life as I was when younger. Back then I moved a lot more because I had more to do lol and everyone I was around was also active. If I make sure I get up and move now, the weight falls off faster than it does if I go on cico alone (that's with eating back exercise calories too).
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I had convinced myself that it was a lot harder now that I'm in my 40's. I struggled a lot and it was slow going, if I lost anything at all. Once I found this app and started being diligent about weighing/logging, the weight just fell off. Of course it slowed down here and there, but...I lost 30lbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's harder. I'm 60 y/o, and have lost 60 pounds since April 2015 after being fat most of my life, and obese (per BMI definition) for at least 20 years. I've made a couple of other attempts to lose, and lost around 20 pounds (which I mostly regained), but haven't been a steady yo-yo dieter.

For me, MFP has made a huge difference. It makes calorie counting, which used to be absurdly laborious, very simple and manageable. Instead of a guessing game, weight loss with MFP is like a science project (and I'm just that kind of nerd ;) ).

It's also easier this time around because - after living with myself for 60 years - I know myself so much better: I know what my failings and weaknesses are, and how to maximize my strengths to accomplish goals.

I've also found, very much to my surprise, that I burn more calories than MFP estimates for my age and sex. This, despite being hypothyroid, another situation that many people say limits their ability to lose weight. I've been pretty active for a dozen years, though, so may have a bit more muscle than many women my age - I don't know.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    It's funny because I had convinced myself that it was a lot harder now that I'm in my 40's. I struggled a lot and it was slow going, if I lost anything at all. Once I found this app and started being diligent about weighing/logging, the weight just fell off. Of course it slowed down here and there, but...I lost 30lbs.

I can identify with this. I've been maintaining a while, so I have +\- 5 lb to lose what I get to the top of my range. In my mid-40s, what I had always done for that last 5 lb wasn't working. Wondered if it was age. Realized no, it is not age. I changed careers and was a lot less active. Same exercise, but less workday activity. Bought a food scale. Tightened up logging accuracy. Lost weight exactly as predicted. Try it and best of luck to you!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The BMR drop is not fixed in stone ...preserve and build muscle through a progressive resistance programme, move more to increase your TDEE and you can easily counteract the 100 cal per decade drop

Jus' say in' :)

Really good advice.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope. Hard work and dedication.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your replies, I will try to add a bit more activity in my daily routine maybe that will help

Using a FitBit motivates me to increase my activity, as does earning extra calories from exercise.

This helps me as well, especially if I know we're going out for dinner I can 'pre-earn' the extra calories by walking more that day.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Twenty years ago I walked tens of thousands of steps every day, I was so busy with full-time work and full-time school that I barely thought about food as anything other than an energy source, and I was so broke that I couldn't afford to eat anything more than what I needed to get that energy. Today there are days I can end up with 1000 steps if I don't go out of my way to get more, I spend lots of time thinking about food because I enjoy cooking for myself and my family, and I can afford (within reason) to eat whatever and whenever I want. So, I'm sure I've had a decrease in BMR, but that's such a small part of the story! In fact, I'm almost back down to the same weight I was at 20 and there's only a 150 calories difference in BMR.
  • Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your replies, I will try to add a bit more activity in my daily routine maybe that will help

Using a FitBit motivates me to increase my activity, as does earning extra calories from exercise.

I have been thinking about investing in one of those! Thanks for the tip
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    for me it has been harder. Im 41 and about 13 years ago I lost like 25 lbs without trying just doing a little more than I was. then I started overeating and got fat. now this time around Im more active, lift heavy,I weigh all my food,I log it and still havent lost anything in over 6 months.still have about 25lbs to lose, but gave up for now and decided to eat a little above maintenance and see where it gets me in the next several months.I dont have any issues that should prevent me from losing it either. I even ate less than what MFP told me to(went from 1700+ down to 1500+).so for some of us I think it is harder. kudos to those who have no issues.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find it more difficult to lose weight, I am 43, about 5 years ago I lost about 55 pounds with weight watchers in about 6 months. So far with mfp it's going very slow. Anyone have this experience? Thanks for any input

I'm 48, and was surprised how quickly the weight fell off. I didn't think it would. In fact, I kind of started here to prove that I couldn't lose weight anymore what with perimenopause and all.

16 weeks later, I had lost 15 kg.

I took a month break, then went on to lose another 10 kg.

Guess I can't use age and perimenopause as an excuse. :grin:

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find it more difficult to lose weight, I am 43, about 5 years ago I lost about 55 pounds with weight watchers in about 6 months. So far with mfp it's going very slow. Anyone have this experience? Thanks for any input

I would call it different, but I don't think it's more difficult.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Nope. I'm almost 54 and it still just involves eating less and moving more. I actually think it's easier than before because I've learned more about nutrition, fitness/training and the weight loss process, and have the patience/perspective to deal with losing it at a more gradual pace this time. It makes the whole process more enjoyable.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    for me it has been harder. Im 41 and about 13 years ago I lost like 25 lbs without trying just doing a little more than I was. then I started overeating and got fat. now this time around Im more active, lift heavy,I weigh all my food,I log it and still havent lost anything in over 6 months.still have about 25lbs to lose, but gave up for now and decided to eat a little above maintenance and see where it gets me in the next several months.I dont have any issues that should prevent me from losing it either. I even ate less than what MFP told me to(went from 1700+ down to 1500+).so for some of us I think it is harder. kudos to those who have no issues.

Too many issues to address here. But, I'm not convinced, based on what you wrote, that you really trying.

I have been here over a year and yes I really am trying. I lift weights,do cardio, weigh EVERYTHING and log it correctly. yet nothing has happened in the last 6 months.I own 2 food scales at that.I always lost very slowly,when I went to higher calories before the plateau,again I lost very slowly. I keep losing and gaining the same 3-6lbs. I was 168.8 and my weight has been stalled at 171-174. I do know what I am doing. and have asked for advice before. my thyroid tests and hormone tests come out normal. I eat fast food maybe once a month if that. most of my meals are cooked at home.I know most people will say you need to eat less, I did for months after my plateau lasted more than 2 months. and 4 months later not a dang thing. Ive been on this journey almost 3 1/2 years(over one year on MFP) and only have lost 44 out of the 69 I have gained.so you tell me what issues I have,when I am trying short of starving myself on less than 1500 calories?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I even ate less than what MFP told me to(went from 1700+ down to 1500+).

I have to limit myself to about 1300 ... plus half my exercise calories.

I upped it to 1600 calories just recently, and started gaining weight again. So I've dropped it to 1450 this week, and will drop it again to 1400 next week, and probably 1350 the week after, and then 1300.