Losing weight after 40

Options

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is for me, because we used to practice for over 3 hours at least 5 days a week. I don't do that anymore, lol. But who remembers how much they used to eat? Not me.

I did notice that I can eat a couple of hundred more calories than my stats now suggest! That's very cool. I don't know if that was always true or if it's because I have more lean mass than the average 45-year-old my height. My frame (from the bones) is definitely wider than the average girl my height, so it might've always been true. OTOH, I do lift and most 45-y-o women probably don't. I'm not very active for long periods, though. That part has changed a lot. Apparently I used to get to eat a whole lot, lol.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find it more difficult to lose weight, I am 43, about 5 years ago I lost about 55 pounds with weight watchers in about 6 months. So far with mfp it's going very slow. Anyone have this experience? Thanks for any input

Nope, not harder to lose after 40. Have even gone through menopause with no issue of weight loss. I do tend to hold more weight around my stomach compared to when I was younger, that is about all.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Does anyone find it more difficult to lose weight, I am 43, about 5 years ago I lost about 55 pounds with weight watchers in about 6 months. So far with mfp it's going very slow. Anyone have this experience? Thanks for any input

Nope, not harder to lose after 40. Have even gone through menopause with no issue of weight loss. I do tend to hold more weight around my stomach compared to when I was younger, that is about all.

Now that I've noticed ... I look at photos of me in my 20s and 30s at the same weight I am now, and my stomach area was pretty much flat. Now I've got a little bit of a stomach.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I even ate less than what MFP told me to(went from 1700+ down to 1500+).

I have to limit myself to about 1300 ... plus half my exercise calories.

I upped it to 1600 calories just recently, and started gaining weight again. So I've dropped it to 1450 this week, and will drop it again to 1400 next week, and probably 1350 the week after, and then 1300.

Im 5'6 1/2 and exercise for about an hr sometimes a little more 6 days a week most of the time. I do cardio,lift heavy and so on. I switch things up. if I dropped to 1300 that would be less than my BMR. 95% of the time I wasnt eating all my exercise calories back(50-75%). sure I had some days I went over but it never went over my weekly goal. even during the holidays. My TDEE is something like 2100+ according to all the calculators Ive used and my fitbit.(they are all close). so I should have been losing but it stalled. Ive tried everything and nothing.my healthy weight and the weight I was before I gained was 140. I was 168.8 before the plateau hit and now Im between 171-174 and I gain and lose those lbs over and over again. I cant get back down to the 168,.
  • Machka9
    Options

I upped it to 1600 calories just recently, and started gaining weight again. So I've dropped it to 1450 this week, and will drop it again to 1400 next week, and probably 1350 the week after, and then 1300.

Im 5'6 1/2 and exercise for about an hr sometimes a little more 6 days a week most of the time. I do cardio,lift heavy and so on. I switch things up. if I dropped to 1300 that would be less than my BMR. 95% of the time I wasnt eating all my exercise calories back(50-75%). sure I had some days I went over but it never went over my weekly goal. even during the holidays. My TDEE is something like 2100+ according to all the calculators Ive used and my fitbit.(they are all close). so I should have been losing but it stalled. Ive tried everything and nothing.my healthy weight and the weight I was before I gained was 140. I was 168.8 before the plateau hit and now Im between 171-174 and I gain and lose those lbs over and over again. I cant get back down to the 168,.

I'm 5'6" and exercise for over an hour a day, 7 days a week. Some days I exercise for 8 hours or more (long distance cyclist). In addition to cycling, I walk briskly, hike, climb a multitude of stairs and lift weights.

When I started with MFP, I started at 1250 + half my exercise calories. I stuck to that like glue for the first 16 weeks. Weighing and logging everything. Estimating low on my exercise calories. No cheat days. No variations on holidays. No going over. If I did a really long ride, I might eat 75% of my calories back, but that was the highest I'd go.

And I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks. :)

When I returned from my diet break, I upped my calories to 1350 + half my exercise calories. My weight loss slowed, and it took about 20 weeks to lose 10 kg.

I have plugged my info into various calculators to try to figure out what my maintenance calories should be, and was horribly disappointed to discover that my maintenance calories are a mere 1500 cal + exercise calories. :( I figured that couldn't be right, but for a month over Christmas I put myself at 1600 cal + exercise calories ... and I gained weight. So I guess it is right. I dropped to 1500 cal + exercise calories and the weight gain stopped. Now I've started to lower it again, and hopefully I'll be able to lose the last 5 kg to drop me right near the bottom of my normal BMI range.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I'm 5'6" and exercise for over an hour a day, 7 days a week. Some days I exercise for 8 hours or more (long distance cyclist). In addition to cycling, I walk briskly, hike, climb a multitude of stairs and lift weights.

When I started with MFP, I started at 1250 + half my exercise calories. I stuck to that like glue for the first 16 weeks. Weighing and logging everything. Estimating low on my exercise calories. No cheat days. No variations on holidays. No going over. If I did a really long ride, I might eat 75% of my calories back, but that was the highest I'd go.

And I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks. :)

When I returned from my diet break, I upped my calories to 1350 + half my exercise calories. My weight loss slowed, and it took about 20 weeks to lose 10 kg.

I have plugged my info into various calculators to try to figure out what my maintenance calories should be, and was horribly disappointed to discover that my maintenance calories are a mere 1500 cal + exercise calories. :( I figured that couldn't be right, but for a month over Christmas I put myself at 1600 cal + exercise calories ... and I gained weight. So I guess it is right. I dropped to 1500 cal + exercise calories and the weight gain stopped. Now I've started to lower it again, and hopefully I'll be able to lose the last 5 kg to drop me right near the bottom of my normal BMI range.

what is weird when I first started losing weight,I lost 17lbs in about 4 months and I was not weighing food,counting calories or anything. lost slowly after than. then lost about 33 lbs. then right before I joined MFP I gained half of the weight back.never changed anything before that. so I joined,got a food scale and learned how to weigh food and log it the right way. lost 24 lbs altogether in the little over a year Ive been here, then gained a little back. and keep losing it and gaining it back. thing is I went into maintenance before and was still losing weight which was 1800+ at the time.then I plateaued again did some research that said to drop it down because I had to be less active due to having epstein barr virus(liver and spleen were enlarged so I had to take it easy. so figured I would eat a little less since I wasnt as active(around 1500 many days I ate less than that,sometimes 1200-1400 net)., lost those pounds I gained but then the scale went back up again over and over. its been 6 months and havent lost anything. so decided maybe if I stay at the weight Im at now and see what happens,I can always try again later. but for right now weight loss wasnt happening, getting plenty of sleep, no stress,drinking plenty of water,and now trying to eat better(more nutrient dense foods).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    See, I'm 5'6", 45, and get to eat 1750-1850 more sedentary than sedentary on my pedometer! It can differ so much, and something has to account for it, but I'm really not sure what other than maybe LBM.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    See, I'm 5'6", 45, and get to eat 1750-1850 more sedentary than sedentary on my pedometer! It can differ so much, and something has to account for it, but I'm really not sure what other than maybe LBM.

Im 41 and cant figure out what it could be. all my blood tests come back normal. so I have no clue. I know its not from not weighing and logging properly,and its not from not being active because I am.when I started MFP I was helping hubby tear down a house(sept 2014. worked sometimes 8 hrs(on my feet moving heavy boards from point a to point b), ate less then too and still didnt lose much. go figure
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    It was was easier for me as I found this site. Realised that I ate too much with no exercise at all, and all I had to do was eat a little less to lose weight and exercise.
    Through this site I realised all those silly things that people say to lose weight I could ignore. Never looked back since.
  • Machka9
    Options

Im 41 and cant figure out what it could be. all my blood tests come back normal. so I have no clue. I know its not from not weighing and logging properly,and its not from not being active because I am.when I started MFP I was helping hubby tear down a house(sept 2014. worked sometimes 8 hrs(on my feet moving heavy boards from point a to point b), ate less then too and still didnt lose much. go figure

Maybe try dropping your calories a bit and see if that helps. Try 1400 + half your exercise calories.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is you've found maintenance for the way you're currently logging and eating so I'd cut 250 calories off the way you are logging now for 6 weeks
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Nope started around the latter part of my 40's, very well into menopause (since 28 due to surgery) chronic pain condition and totally out of shape and on anti-depressants.....Many told me losing weight from the highest point @ 278 lbs was a fruitless endeavor.

Thank God I was stubborn enough to ignore them and approx. 2 1/2 years into dieting and then introducing a progressive walking program I did lose all that excess baggage and have been maintaining that loss for nigh on 3 years.

You are good to go and be the best you ever, never let age, life changes etc get in your way....work around, through and over the top of them.

I wish you great success.

• Gazz750
    Gazz750 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At 42 I decided enough was enough and put myself on a strict 12 week diet and exercise regime. Found that each week i was losing around 1kg, and ended up with a total just over 17kg lost.
    Unfortunately due to my bad habits its crept back on a little, so now I need to do it all over again. But i'm closer to my goal than I was before I started and i know what is needed, so I started again on Jan 1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Gazz750 wrote: »
    At 42 I decided enough was enough and put myself on a strict 12 week diet and exercise regime. Found that each week i was losing around 1kg, and ended up with a total just over 17kg lost.
    Unfortunately due to my bad habits its crept back on a little, so now I need to do it all over again. But i'm closer to my goal than I was before I started and i know what is needed, so I started again on Jan 1

Whilst losing weight work out how you're going to maintain...meaning make your weight loss a learning curve and full of highly palatable foods ....accept that this is your way of eating for life plus a few calories and make it work for you...it helps
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both are 49 yrs old, and this has been the easiest program ever. He has lost 34 and I have lost 23, with more to come off. I sometimes can't believe how easy MFP is, along with exercise.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Gazz750 wrote: »

Whilst losing weight work out how you're going to maintain...meaning make your weight loss a learning curve and full of highly palatable foods ....accept that this is your way of eating for life plus a few calories and make it work for you...it helps

This, to me, is the most wonderful things about the standard MFP CI<CO process. I'm about to enter maintenance, and I know exactly what to do, how to eat forever. I've improved my macros (especially protein), figured out how to stay satiated, learned how to handle occasional treats and special occasions, and more.

I'm always dismayed when people give up this learning opportunity, pursue a (sometimes crazy) way of eating that they can't continue forever, and essentially often do that just to get a weight loss rate that's unhealthful and will probably make them lose more than the bare minimum of muscle along the way. That's a recipe for yo-yo dieting.

Us older folks, especially, oughta manage to be smarter than that.
  • richardcorfield
    richardcorfield Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My body seems to quite resolutely want to maintain weight and apart from the past 6 months has been very stable. I'm trying the Fit4Life program this time which should give ongoing motivation. I've only just started so no idea yet how well I'm doing. I do note though that the recommended rate of weight loss has reduced. I'm sure I remember talk of 2kg/week, but now it's 500g/week which means with weekly measuring any change short term can be lost in measurement noise (mass of food, water, clothing).

In the past I've used exercise to control weight, so seen weight stay level at first as muscle increased, then weight start to reduce. Still, the most I lost was about 5%. I could do with losing about 8% now.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Easier in fact. I have a lot more lean muscle mass than I ever did in my life.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had an easier time losing weight at 46 than ever in my 30's. But I don't know how much of that has to do with my age or just having learned more about nutrition and fitness by now. I have heard that it is harder to lose weight the older you get, but hopefully I won't have to lose weight again to find out. I have also heard that if you aren't careful to stay active and continue eating right, it is easier to gain weight the older you get.
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, I was gonna aask if being 38 made a difference . . . but I guess it does . . .hmmmm