40+, WITH 40+ TO LOSE!

Options

Replies

• Sparkymel
    Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow! Is this a group? If so, it sounds like the perfect group of people for me to be sharing with. After 3 miscarriages in my 30's, I suddenly got pregnant at 40 years of age. I had my son when I was 41 and my hubby and I couldn't be happier....only problem is that I gained 60 lbs during pregnancy and I was already about 30 lbs overweight. I just started on MFP about a month ago. I really like it and know it can help me succeed with my weight loss goals. I have lost 12 lbs since my son was born.....he just turned 1 1/2 on Valentine's Day. I am serious about getting to my weight loss and healthy goals by the end of 2016. Please add me to this group, if there is one.....I don't know how they work. I do know how to give and accept friend requests and welcome any and all. I have found that support from those on a similar journey is extremely meaningful. Looking forward to making some new friends. Denise

Wow Denise! I can completely relate to you. Tried for years, to have a baby. After having a miscarriage and giving up, I finally got pregnant at 37. It's amazing how that all works. Very blessed with a beautiful 4 year old. I now have over 60lbs to lose as well. It's a challenge, in our forties, but we got this!
  • weightlossissues
    weightlossissues Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am in the same boat! I am almost 45 with 50 to lose. When I lose the first 50 then my goal will be 20 more. I started on here Jan 2nd I have lose 22lbs! I also got a fitbit. That helps so much. You can do this!
  • janewelshsoriente
    janewelshsoriente Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am in the same boat! I am almost 45 with 50 to lose. When I lose the first 50 then my goal will be 20 more. I started on here Jan 2nd I have lose 22lbs! I also got a fitbit. That helps so much. You can do this!

Hi Weightlossissues - Been thinking about getting a fitbit myself - are they any good? good luck with the rest of your journey - sounds like you are really on it!! :-)
  • heatherfrancesb
    heatherfrancesb Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Hi Weightlossissues - Been thinking about getting a fitbit myself - are they any good? good luck with the rest of your journey - sounds like you are really on it!! :-)

For me my fitbit is worth it - I do like gadgets to begin with, but trying to get the step counter up and closer to 10,000 does seem to motivate me, as does raising the number of active minutes. I have a flex which pretty much only counts steps and monitors sleep, so you have to manually add other exercise to myfitnesspal, but since i mostly walk, bike and aquafit, and the real difference I need to make is to walk more, it suits me perfectly. the fitbit also syncs with MFP so you get credit for anything credit worthy (haven't quite figured out what this is - active minutes)
  • cmorris30316
    cmorris30316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Wow. What did you do to lose that much since January? I've only lost about 10 and that was like pulling teeth ! No drinking. No cheese. No caffeine. Working out. Doing it all.
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Hi, I would like to get one, too. What I want to monitor is steps, running and cycling. (maybe swimming but I guess that makes it expensive.) any experiences on which model would be good for that?
  • janewelshsoriente
    Options

For me my fitbit is worth it - I do like gadgets to begin with, but trying to get the step counter up and closer to 10,000 does seem to motivate me, as does raising the number of active minutes. I have a flex which pretty much only counts steps and monitors sleep, so you have to manually add other exercise to myfitnesspal, but since i mostly walk, bike and aquafit, and the real difference I need to make is to walk more, it suits me perfectly. the fitbit also syncs with MFP so you get credit for anything credit worthy (haven't quite figured out what this is - active minutes)

Thanks a lot Weightlossissues - may have to invest lol xx
  • janewelshsoriente
    Options
    I am finding myself in a bit of a struggle in the evenings when I have finally sat down to watch a bit of TV with my husband. The problem is that even though I am not hungry in the slightest, I cannot keep my hand out of the sweetie box that I have for the grand kiddies!!!! Its almost like another person emerges after 7pm - all day I am sooooo good - then spoil it with the sweets in the evening!! I keep banging on about being in control but the truth is the control slips in the evenings - any one else have the same problem? if so, what do you do about it?? xx
  • Peapod57
    Peapod57 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a little late joining this thread but all your words are so inspiring... I'm 39 (for another 4 months) and have a 15 week old baby girl. I want positive changes before I get to 40 and want to be a fun loving, good role model mommy....I haven't really worked out how much I want to loose (perhaps rhetoric number scares me?)
    I get so motivated when planning things but really lack willpower to stick to a plan....really need all the help I can get....
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 46 and am struggling with about 15-20lbs. that I keep losing and gaining back. I'm looking for like minded women around my age to share my triumphs and struggles with. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey. I know we all can lose if we just set our minds to it.
  • mychelenc
    mychelenc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also in my 40's with about 40 pounds to lose for about the 4 th time! This journey is a lesson, that if you don't do it correct it won't work!!! I may be the only person I know to gain weight while excersicing 6 days a week! When I was younger that worked but I now realize you can not out excersice a bad diet! I eat well but my portions are unrealistic. I try every fad diet , buy every book, but deep down I'm never honest with myself!!! This time will be different, hard work, motivation, and determination will get it done!!! Power in numbers ladies
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and would love to lose about 30-40 lbs to help reach my running goals. Please add me for support!!
  • lostinyonkers
    lostinyonkers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kinda late to the game, but I'm 40 with 40 lbs to lose and would love to have some MFP friends!

Years ago I weighed almost 300 lbs and have changed my lifestyle slowly, over time, and have lost quite a bit of weight... but have never ever gotten to my "goal weight." I work out 4-5 times a week and have been a Weight Watcher on and off, while also using MFP... and when I use it, it works. I just need to do it CONSISTENTLY and not give up when I don't see the scale move (which is very often).

I've been off the wagon since before Christmas and am finally feeling the motivation to get back in the game. My diary is open to friends .....please add me so we can support each other! :)
  • JUknowPK
    JUknowPK Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I too have started this journey. 43 years young, need to loose 40lbs++, I find with the right friend sand support it helps. Please feel free to add me if you wish. My Food Diary is open. Also I have found that using a kitchen scale really helps, it makes you think about what you are going to eat and really helps with portion control. GOOD LUCK!!
  • heatherfrancesb
    heatherfrancesb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am finding myself in a bit of a struggle in the evenings when I have finally sat down to watch a bit of TV with my husband. The problem is that even though I am not hungry in the slightest, I cannot keep my hand out of the sweetie box that I have for the grand kiddies!!!! Its almost like another person emerges after 7pm - all day I am sooooo good - then spoil it with the sweets in the evening!! I keep banging on about being in control but the truth is the control slips in the evenings - any one else have the same problem? if so, what do you do about it?? xx

Hi I can sympathize. I have a few suggestions. I know that I simply can't have things like sweetie boxes around me. I'm just not that disciplined. Research (read Brian Wansink) shows that out of sight out of mind really helps. can you put the sweetie box away in a really inconvenient place until the next time the grandkids come? The other thing I have done is to buy something i like to drink that has no calories (italian fizzy water in my case). I like it room temperature so I keep the bottle and a glass on the side table by the couch. I have managed to replace snacking with a glass of fizzy water. Hope you can find a similar replacement habit
  • janewelshsoriente
    Options

Hi I can sympathize. I have a few suggestions. I know that I simply can't have things like sweetie boxes around me. I'm just not that disciplined. Research (read Brian Wansink) shows that out of sight out of mind really helps. can you put the sweetie box away in a really inconvenient place until the next time the grandkids come? The other thing I have done is to buy something i like to drink that has no calories (italian fizzy water in my case). I like it room temperature so I keep the bottle and a glass on the side table by the couch. I have managed to replace snacking with a glass of fizzy water. Hope you can find a similar replacement habit

Thanks Heather - might have to get a couple of bottles of diet tonic water in - trouble is - if I drink too late into the evening, I am up several times a night for a bathroom visit!!! Can't win eh?
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Thanks Heather - might have to get a couple of bottles of diet tonic water in - trouble is - if I drink too late into the evening, I am up several times a night for a bathroom visit!!! Can't win eh?

i do the same! what has worked twice was to brush my teeth really early. i wander to the sweets drawer or the fridge and back several times in an hour but it is just bad habits! and sometimes i drink a teaspoonful of hot chocolate powder with hot water and a tiny bit of milk.
  • Sparkymel
    Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sviag5a4gvhv.jpg
  • cmorris30316
    cmorris30316 Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sparkymel wrote: »
    sviag5a4gvhv.jpg

Love this quote !! I am noticing small changes. Less back fat. Less double chin !
    Stay strong this weekend everyone. We CAN do this !!
  • flutterphotogal503
    Options
    Sparkymel wrote: »
    sviag5a4gvhv.jpg

Love this quote !! I am noticing small changes. Less back fat. Less double chin !
    Stay strong this weekend everyone. We CAN do this !!

So true - ditto for me loving this! Making a sign of this & posting it all over the house!!!