Office Lunch/Snacks?

Options
andyluvv
andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
Hey guys just trying to get some ideas for lunch at work.
I keep buying Subway sandwiches and that's costing...

I'm here thinking if I bought a loaf of nimble whole-meal bread it'd cost me about 0.80
I'm then stuck on what else to add and especially protein... I thought of tuna cans, but I'd get bored of it every day and I hear the mercury in it is not very good on a daily basis... so what protein could I buy on the cheap to leave at work?

Also struggling with snacks... I tend to snack on fruit, but I'd like something else? I thought of cherry tomatoes, but I'm hoping someone has been through this and could share ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge at work? I usually have plain greek yogurt with honey and a peanut butter sandwich for work lunch. It is around 30 grams of protein and pretty cheap.
  • bobpainter73
    bobpainter73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of he starkist tuna pouches, they make a buffalo wing flavored one that's pretty good high protein low calorie, I bring a wrap or flat out wrap and use that as a good snack.
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I brought in some wheat bread and spread an entire avocado on it. Then ate 3 bananas and 16oz of water. Yummy. Work is filled with temptations and the cafe sucks. =( I don't believe in the protein myth.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers from the night before. Cereal and 120 ml milk sometimes. Mason jar salad. For snacks: String cheese, almonds, fruit, veggies or pretzels with hummus, yogurt, toast and peanut butter, popcorn, seeds, etc.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    kris727ta wrote: »
    I brought in some wheat bread and spread an entire avocado on it. Then ate 3 bananas and 16oz of water. Yummy. Work is filled with temptations and the cafe sucks. =( I don't believe in the protein myth.

Protein myth? Protein is a macro nutrient that is essential for your body. Also some people find protein filling. http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002467.htm
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of he starkist tuna pouches, they make a buffalo wing flavored one that's pretty good high protein low calorie, I bring a wrap or flat out wrap and use that as a good snack.

I love this idea. The ranch and lemon pepper ones are so good.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like goldfish crackers, 55 crackers for 150 cal. String cheese. yogurt, berries of some type. Cutie oranges. I try to mix it up. I usually do leftovers for lunch as well.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This is boring but at my last office job, I'd keep a large bag of raw almonds in my desk. It really came in handy and filled me up when I was starving & didn't have a meal... also protein bars.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    This is boring but at my last office job, I'd keep a large bag of raw almonds in my desk. It really came in handy and filled me up when I was starving & didn't have a meal... also protein bars.
    Oh I'm terrified of things wiith small servings in big packets. I tend to overdo it and end the pack without realising lol. I want to make carrot cake today and I wish I could share my panic at having to buy a bag of walnuts for it lol
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    I like goldfish crackers, 55 crackers for 150 cal. String cheese. yogurt, berries of some type. Cutie oranges. I try to mix it up. I usually do leftovers for lunch as well.
    I don't think we have those in the UK! I'd love that. But then again I don't tend to find crackers/biscuits or those cereal bars very filling...(and then I have the entire thing).
    I usually take leftovers from the night before. Cereal and 120 ml milk sometimes. Mason jar salad. For snacks: String cheese, almonds, fruit, veggies or pretzels with hummus, yogurt, toast and peanut butter, popcorn, seeds, etc.
    Goood idea - I used to do that but I'm just tired of taking things with me into work, even more so on gym days. It's extra luggage. So looking more into things I can leave there :)
    kris727ta wrote: »
    That sounds like a very rich lunch! Avocados are a bit expensive but I did consider spreading half of it on toast everyday. I love it!
    Just like goldfish crackers, I don't think that's avialable in the uk (like Trader Joe's, which I'm so jealous of you guys for! lol)
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Do you have a fridge at work? I usually have plain greek yogurt with honey and a peanut butter sandwich for work lunch. It is around 30 grams of protein and pretty cheap.
    We do have a fridge. But yogurt is one of those things that you can't really buy in packs so I find it ends up being a bit expensive :/

Thanks guys, any more ideas would be appreciated! ^^
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    My routine:
    0600 breakfast - pumpernickel with honey and french press coffee with light cream:
    0930 - two hard boiled eggs
    1130 - Greek yogurt
    1330 - Nescafe cappuccino (powered packet)
    1530 - two clementines or sometimes 20 almonds

That does it for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can buy 4-packs of yoghurt. And you can find flavoured tuna packs in the UK too (John West).

For "stuff on toast" I'd go for a jar of good peanut butter, some dairylea cheese triangles, marmite. I also keep tins of soup in the office. Snacks - individual cheese sticks, nakd bars, snack packs of olives.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you have a fridge or lunch box, I just measure out already cooked chicken or fish and have a side of bolthouse yogurt dressing to dip it in or pour on it before heating it up (yummy cold too). I also like to do lunch meat roll ups that have cheese and pickles inside it. I try not to snack, but do keep jerky and protein bars on hand. Fruit (fresh or in serving size cups) are handy too
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This hummus veggie sandwich traveled well, I put it in a plastic food storage container. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/01/hummus-experiment-3-and-recipe-reviews.html

Hummus%2BVegetable%2BSandwich.jpg

Mason jars make packing snacks easier. I take hummus and veggies; cheese, dried fruit and nuts. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/09/recycle-tip-fruit-cups-mason-jars.html

Mason%2BJar%2BCheese%2BBreak2.jpg
  • bikerbabewannab
    bikerbabewannab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What great ideas!
  • bikerbabewannab
    bikerbabewannab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tupperware might b better to use than glass jars tho
  • laab34
    laab34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do a spinach salad almost daily, and just top it differently. Chicken, tuna, leftovers from dinner. Hard- boiled eggs.

I also make a yummy veggie dip with greek yogurt and bring carrot sticks for snacks.

Ill have to look up the recipe again but I also have done pumpkin muffins as a
  • cayman07
    cayman07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am UK Andyluvv, we've recently tried some seeded pitta pockets, with carrot, cucumber and other fresh veg with a DIP of some kind, buy multipack crisps as smaller on the whole, same for popcorn, make up a tuna pasta leave to cool and have cold and also just a simple wholemeal roll with a slice or two of meat (assuming no vegetarian, and also add in a piece of fruit.

I find a a few smaller different things each day makes it more interesting and still mix that with the occasional Subway or M&S sandwich to keep it varied.
  • shawnakelsey
    shawnakelsey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been really loving taken any kind of lunch meat that you like.( I really love the buffalo style chicken breast). Spreading hummus on it adding a piece of provolone cheese and sweet pickle. Wrapping it up and Yum Yum Yum you got yourself a very good snack. Good luck!!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just recreate your Subway order? Buy whatever toppings you'd normally get there and some bread rolls and make up your own sub at work.
  • andyluvv
    edited January 2016
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    My routine:
    0600 breakfast - pumpernickel with honey and french press coffee with light cream:
    0930 - two hard boiled eggs
    1130 - Greek yogurt
    1330 - Nescafe cappuccino (powered packet)
    1530 - two clementines or sometimes 20 almonds

That does it for me.

That is very structured!
    You can buy 4-packs of yoghurt. And you can find flavoured tuna packs in the UK too (John West).

For "stuff on toast" I'd go for a jar of good peanut butter, some dairylea cheese triangles, marmite. I also keep tins of soup in the office. Snacks - individual cheese sticks, nakd bars, snack packs of olives.

Yeah I did find them today actually! Thank you!
    dklibert wrote: »
    This hummus veggie sandwich traveled well, I put it in a plastic food storage container. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/01/hummus-experiment-3-and-recipe-reviews.html

Hummus%2BVegetable%2BSandwich.jpg

Mason jars make packing snacks easier. I take hummus and veggies; cheese, dried fruit and nuts. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/09/recycle-tip-fruit-cups-mason-jars.html

Mason%2BJar%2BCheese%2BBreak2.jpg

They all look delicious! I'm just trying to avoid the home food prep lol
    laab34 wrote: »
    I do a spinach salad almost daily, and just top it differently. Chicken, tuna, leftovers from dinner. Hard- boiled eggs.

I also make a yummy veggie dip with greek yogurt and bring carrot sticks for snacks.

Ill have to look up the recipe again but I also have done pumpkin muffins as a

Yeah I have salads a lot too and I'm kind of bored of it.
    I'm also trying to buy things I can keep at work and mount it there.
    Sandwiches seem to be the easiest.
    cayman07 wrote: »
    I am UK Andyluvv, we've recently tried some seeded pitta pockets, with carrot, cucumber and other fresh veg with a DIP of some kind, buy multipack crisps as smaller on the whole, same for popcorn, make up a tuna pasta leave to cool and have cold and also just a simple wholemeal roll with a slice or two of meat (assuming no vegetarian, and also add in a piece of fruit.

I find a a few smaller different things each day makes it more interesting and still mix that with the occasional Subway or M&S sandwich to keep it varied.

Good idea.
    I've been really loving taken any kind of lunch meat that you like.( I really love the buffalo style chicken breast). Spreading hummus on it adding a piece of provolone cheese and sweet pickle. Wrapping it up and Yum Yum Yum you got yourself a very good snack. Good luck!!

I thought of that today! haha
    swift13b wrote: »
    Why don't you just recreate your Subway order? Buy whatever toppings you'd normally get there and some bread rolls and make up your own sub at work.

Thought of that it's just buying chicken everyday or cooked meat that would be expensive :/

So here's what I've done. I went hunting for things to make sandwiches with...
    What I came up with:
    Hovis Nimble (I LOVE that bread and has some fiber which I always try to get)
    Avocado - would you guys say I could spread half of one on bread?
    Low fat cream cheese - just so it's not dry and it looks like it'll last...Lidl goldessa one!
    B. Matthew's turkey slices - bought two packs of 160g. I'm thinking of having 3 slices with the tuna/cream cheese.
    Gherkin slices - about 3 slices on a sandwich would make it yum.

I managed to find some reduce priced chicken so might take that tomorrow.
    Also taking a bowl of salad and ricotta stuffed chicken I had for dinner. Hopefully that'll be filling enough!

For the morning I'm considering muesli...I have a protein powder measuring cup that usually measures about 30g. So I could use one or two of those with the muesli in the morning? Skimmed milk with some water (or just plain). I bought a bag of the eatnatural buckwheat muesli I just hope it's filling (I tend to find oats/bucketwheat/grains not really that filling!)

For snacks I think I'll try to eat some greens - I love to eat a whole cucumber or a pack of celery, maybe a can of beans or chickpeas? I also love carrots but they scare me as I have on a couple of occasions almost eaten a whole 1kg bag lol

If anyone has some input I'm all ears! And thank you for all the lovely ideas and images! (The hummus looks amazing!)