I have 900 calories remaining to eat today?

Options
I'm on a 1200 calorie diet right now

Well I woke up today a little late like at 12. I had an apple and went to workout I spent an hour on a cross trainer and burned 600 calories according to the machine. I usually go by the machine because calories burned is less then what mfp tells me. I did some arm training and came home and ate lunch which was full of fruits and veggies and a sandwich all equaled out to about 300 calories. I slept for about 3 hours again and ate dinner just now and the calories for that email was about 300 calories. I even made me a little s'mores dessert for about 280 calories. Well according to mfp I have a total calorie intake today of 890 calories and a net of 930. Since its 9 I completed my diary and it said I didn't eat enough today.

Should I let it be as it is or eat something else?

Replies

• EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Obviously eat something.
  • DaisyBlinks
    DaisyBlinks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of ice cream. Yum!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    you dont have to eat if you arent feeling like it. also, you dont have to hit your goal every day. you could use those calories tomorrow or throughout the week if you want to. just like if you go over your limit, you may reduce your calories for some other days. but, if I had 900 calories left, I'd probably open a pint of ben and jerry's :D
  • jacki865
    jacki865 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Meal*
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    For one day, if I was not hungry I wouldn't worry about eating more. However, if it's an ongoing thing to eat this little, I'd start eating more.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat something. Your net should be as close to 1200 as possible, if not your goal. Or save the calories for another day. But undereating like that can be dangerous.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • DaisyBlinks
    Options
    Is it normal for you to sleep until noon and take a three hour nap in the afternoon? That sounds like an awful lot of sleep and if you're lacking in energy on a regular basis than you absolutely need to be eating more.
  • jacki865
    Options
    Well not normally I work during the week a normal schedule and was out late last night. So I woke up later than hoped. Also I took the nap cause my allergies have been really acting up and I couldn't stop sneezing
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It's likely you didn't burn 600 calories on the cross trainer, those machines tend to over estimate as well. That being said you're still under the minimum calorie recommendation for the day. If this is a one time thing it's probably not a big deal but continuously under eating can lead to problems. You may also find that if you fuel your body more fully you may not need to sleep so much and take naps mid day.
  • DaisyBlinks
    Options
    It kind of makes sense that you wouldn't be very hungry if you're not feeling well and spent a lot of the day sleeping. If you're going to be up late tonight then I think you should eat more. If you're heading to bed and it's really just a one-time thing, I wouldn't worry about eating more.
  • jacki865
    Options
    It's likely you didn't burn 600 calories on the cross trainer, those machines tend to over estimate as well. That being said you're still under the minimum calorie recommendation for the day. If this is a one time thing it's probably not a big deal but continuously under eating can lead to problems. You may also find that if you fuel your body more fully you may not need to sleep so much and take naps mid day.

Well mfp wanted to tell me over 1000 calories burned for that. I'm also bigger then the average person
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't worry as much if I don't hit the net calories goal, but I do eat extra if I'm too far below the gross calories goal.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    jacki865 wrote: »

Well mfp wanted to tell me over 1000 calories burned for that. I'm also bigger then the average person

Yes, both mfp and machines over estimate calorie burn. Many recommend to eat half back so that would have you at 300 calories from exercise.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with what other posters have said. If it's not a regular issue, I wouldn't worry about it. That little message can be disconcerting to see, but weight loss/health isn't such a small scale thing. It will even out in the trend, so maybe tomorrow morning you're ravenous and have a 5 or 600 calorie breakfast. NBD.

If you find that it is becoming a habit to not eat enough, work to get your calories up. But I wouldn't stress about it tonight.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Have a big, fat piece of cheesecake.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Total consumed (Food) - exercise calories burned = NET ... therefore your NET will not exceed what you eat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    All of the above with regards to making sure you eat enough consistently. The odd day doesn't matter.

BUT, you had a sandwich and fruit and veggies for only 300 calories? Are you sure? What fruit? Two slices of bread (at least 100 calories per slice) and what was the filling? I think you may be under-reporting your calories too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All of the above with regards to making sure you eat enough consistently. The odd day doesn't matter.

BUT, you had a sandwich and fruit and veggies for only 300 calories? Are you sure? What fruit? Two slices of bread (at least 100 calories per slice) and what was the filling? I think you may be under-reporting your calories too.

Yep. I think you're way underestimating how much you're actually eating.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are eating more than you think you are.....