WATER

Options
This is the hardest thing for me. Drinking water.. It has been my entire life. I'm one of those people who can have my meals without a beverage at all. Even after a vigorous workout, I never drink a full water bottle I don't know why.. my mother is the same way.. however, I know how important it is to constantly drink water. I've tried everything.. lemon wedges to give it flavor, really cold water, really room temp water, whatever.. but I still have such a hard time. The only thing I can drink is Vitamin Zero.. but I know that is not the best choice.. but better than nothing. I'm really trying to just drink plain old water. I even bought a Yeti to keep it on ice! It's frustrating but I'm trying.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    http://dripdrop.com/chart-dehydrated/
    How's your urine? You should be fine if your color isn't too dark. Be aware, things like multivitamins can change your color.

Also, if you like Vitamin Water have you tried Crystal Light? Tea and coffee are good options as well.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those large water bottles that holds 4 cups of water. That way I just have to drink two a day which makes it so much easier for me.

You don't have to get this one specifically but this one below is nice because it's easy to grip and I like the nozzle part... I don't know why but I tend to just sip on it while watching TV or doing homework amazon.com/gp/product/B001FFZBTO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I didn't drink a lot of water until I invested in large-sized bottles. Even drinking just one of these a day is a better start than not drinking water at all.
  • Cocoa_Jean
    Cocoa_Jean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this too for a long ti me until a guy friend of mine chugged an entire water bottle in one go... when I asked what was the hurry he said he couldnt STAND water... but as a boxer he had to do it so he chugged it everytime.. so I tried chugging and it really does help.. get it over with quickly and eventually it became second nature... I emptied half a gallon of water at the gym alone and its nice knowing I dont have to rush the rest of the day to get it in.
  • ErikaAurelia
    ErikaAurelia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to forget about drinking water, I mean, I do not feel like drinking unless I am thirsty normally, but I've found that if I have a bottle of water beside me (or like now: a big hard plastic "mug" that resemble the ones you drink soda from when you're at mcdonalds, see through and purple, fun thing) I seem to drink quite a lot. When I feel like a snack or get that feeling that I want something in my mouth (boredom) I have gotten into the habit of just grabbing that "mug" and drink water. I think it contains about 0,6 L, and I drink at least two full sets of that one every day. I know I've heard that you should drink 2 L of water every day, but well, better to drink 1,2 L than the few glasses of water I did before :smile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    http://dripdrop.com/chart-dehydrated/
    How's your urine? You should be fine if your color isn't too dark. Be aware, things like multivitamins can change your color.

Also, if you like Vitamin Water have you tried Crystal Light? Tea and coffee are good options as well.

This
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS had a problem drinking water. I would go months without barely drinking water because I think it tastes awful plain, so I have been drinking Diet soda for the flavor to the point that now that's all I pretty much drink. I'd also get sparkling water. The only way I've been able to drink water these last couple of weeks is putting bottled water in the front of the fridge and tell myself I have to at least drink it with my dinner, and I have been. Now whenever I have a glass of soda I also make sure I have a bottle of water with it, and when my soda is gone I try not to refill it until I drink that bottle of water. Also I feel like if I'm eating salty, sweet, or spicy things, that will help me drink the water. Like if I'm eating popcorn or a couple cookies or something. Obviously it must be really helping me out, because I've had more water these last couple of weeks than I have in an entire month.
  • A_New_Creation
    A_New_Creation Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This was my problem for a long time as well. I am for 3 liters a day, and usually hit between 2.5-3. One thing I have found that has helped me greatly is drinking 1 liter upon waking, in the morning.
    I've also heard of people adding Mio to their water to give it a better taste.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I drink sparking water. The whole family drinks it now.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Are you thirsty? Is your urine super dark? If the answers are "no," don't worry about it. You get water from your food, which a lot of people don't realize is pretty much enough to sustain you. Plus, that Vitamin Water counts. Coffee counts. Tea counts. Etc. I'll try to find the link to my source later, but it's really not as dire as people make it out to be.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm bad about drinking water, too. A few things that helped:
    • Water bottle with a built-in straw at work
    • Heavy weight glass at home (just a nicer experience drinking from glass, for some reason)
    • Water at room temp or slightly colder
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is the issue. I can add mio and crystal light etc.. then it's not water. I don't WANT the chemicals That stuff is really NOT good for you at all .. all that does is add artificial sweeteners. My problem is just plain water/ Drinking the chemical stuff is fine.. I can do that.. but then I may as well drink Diet soda. I bought a huge YETI cup and that does help but normally it's just not something I even think about. it's terrible. I wish I could just chug water everyday. I'm adding limes and lemons again.. but still it's just blah. Thanks all for the advice. I'll try AGAIN
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    This is the issue. I can add mio and crystal light etc.. then it's not water. I don't WANT the chemicals That stuff is really NOT good for you at all .. all that does is add artificial sweeteners. My problem is just plain water/ Drinking the chemical stuff is fine.. I can do that.. but then I may as well drink Diet soda. I bought a huge YETI cup and that does help but normally it's just not something I even think about. it's terrible. I wish I could just chug water everyday. I'm adding limes and lemons again.. but still it's just blah. Thanks all for the advice. I'll try AGAIN

It's still water if you add stuff. Do you think the hydrating properties disappear? And water itself is a chemical as is everything you ingest. Nothing wrong with adding things or diet soda for that matter.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    what about a splash of cranberry juice mixed in with your water. .
  • AshyAshy10
    AshyAshy10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Everyday I drink a gallon of water. I fill up my gallon jug each day then make it a challenge to drink by the end of the day.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Like Hornsby said, it's still water. Adding stuff is simply creating a solution, it doesn't change the chemical composition of the water.

Have you ever dried half-strength Crystal Light or Mio? I usually use a single to-go pack of Crystal Light in a full quart of water, rather than just the 16 oz. Your water-to-otherstuff ratio increases, which may help you feel better about the additives. (Note, it's pretty much psychological. Even full strength or with diet soda, you'll have problems from water intoxication before you have problems from the sweeteners.)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I drink virtually NO water (by itself) but I drink about 10 cups of tea every day. Also try soda/selzer water with some flavoring. I use Mio fruit punch. I probably get in 10-15 glasses of liquid a day this way. Good luck!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Ummm . . . you do realize that water is a chemical compoud?
  • tracefan
    Options
    Yes I get it. But read the ingredients in mio and crystal light. Unnatural is what I mean.
  • tracefan
    Options
    42m3htuir234.png