Am I making a mistake?

Options
So, here's the summary of my story.
Was diagnosed with severe hypertension a few days after my 19th birthday and was told by medics that I would have to live with it for life but my dietitian reassured me that I could lose it with a lifestyle modification as I was class 2 obese right from childhood. Fast-forward a few months to my 20th birthday I was finally drug free and have been drug free ever since. Then I fell in love with nutrition and I'd be starting a masters in nutritional biochemistry soon. But I'm clueless as to what gaps need to be breached in nutrition and if my reasoning just got clouded.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the question is?
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I want to know if there are still gaps in nutrition waiting to be filled. If I'd be able to make my own unique contribution studying nutrition.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Is it possible bebeXchyM has a degree in a subject that isn't related to the nutritional biochemistry Masters they want to do? Therefore he/she is regretting choosing it because they could be missing knowledge related to doing it. This would make gaining the Masters much harder.They are saying/thinking their judgement may be clouded because they got carried away with the idea of nutrition on a deeper level.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok...so you like studying nutrition...and want to pursue this study via a masters program...

...and your concern is that there isn't enough "unknown" info for you to discover through your studies? As in, is there a market for research that still needs to be done?

Well first, professional research doesn't work that way. We never know a subject so well that there's nothing left to study or research on the topic.
    Second, there is such a ridiculous amount of research that needs to be done in your chosen field it's incredible.

The hard part isn't finding things to study. It's getting grants for anything that isn't tied to some special interest program (aka derp).
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Ok...so you like studying nutrition...and want to pursue this study via a masters program...

...and your concern is that there isn't enough "unknown" info for you to discover through your studies? As in, is there a market for research that still needs to be done?

Well first, professional research doesn't work that way. We never know a subject so well that there's nothing left to study or research on the topic.
    Second, there is such a ridiculous amount of research that needs to be done in your chosen field it's incredible.

The hard part is finding things to study. It's getting grants for anything that isn't tied to some special interest program (aka derp).

Darn. You wrote it first. :smiley:

You can safely assume that the field of nutrition science is just realizing that they have been just scratching the surface. You will more than likely be overwhelmed by practically infinite possibility of areas to focus on. Go ahead and pursue your passion and you will find the particular topic that will interest you the most. Biochem is such a fantastic choice. :smile:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hell science in general barely scratches the surface - no field is so well known there is nothing to do.

Nutrition needs a ton of love. So much of the research is actually of very low quality, particularly in tying dietary modifications to actual clinical endpoints.
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Hell science in general barely scratches the surface - no field is so well known there is nothing to do.

Nutrition needs a ton of love. So much of the research is actually of very low quality, particularly in tying dietary modifications to actual clinical endpoints.

I can't agree more. Yes, science in general needs more <3. :D
    Due to my job, I regularly have to use PubMed, and you won't believe how "contaminated" they are nowadays [sigh]. So many scientifically unqualified papers pop up in the search result, especially in the field of nutrition.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    bebeXchyM wrote: »
    So, here's the summary of my story.
    Was diagnosed with severe hypertension a few days after my 19th birthday and was told by medics that I would have to live with it for life but my dietitian reassured me that I could lose it with a lifestyle modification as I was class 2 obese right from childhood. Fast-forward a few months to my 20th birthday I was finally drug free and have been drug free ever since. Then I fell in love with nutrition and I'd be starting a masters in nutritional biochemistry soon. But I'm clueless as to what gaps need to be breached in nutrition and if my reasoning just got clouded.

You seem to think that the problem is whether there is something worth discovering. This is not how it works if you choose to do research. There is always research to be done. The problem is becoming a member of a good research team (for many, if not most, this is where the research ambition ends, because there are bills and you cannot keep looking for a job forever, especially one not paying much), getting enough money to do research while not starving and getting the opportunity to actually squeeze into the research you are paid to do a small part of what you want to research (because the one paying you usually does not have the exact same interests or goals as you). These people who are just getting paid to pursue their personal interests, and at some point they have an a-ha moment, and then they win all sorts of prizes because of it, they exist mainly in movies.